New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #7 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Gem on Ocean Drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've been to several other hotels in South Beach, and the Betsy is by far the best. Besides the great location, the atmosphere is cool, calming, and relaxing from the minute the doormen open the doors to the lobby. The lobby is very nicely decorated and has comfortable chairs and couches to relax -- even a few checkers games set up and the NYTimes available. The bar is very attractive (as well as the bartenders) -- great drinks served every time.

The rooms were immaculate and well-decorated. The bathroom was a bit small, but how much time do you spend in the bathroom anyway?

The roof deck has a perfect ocean view and breezes. The retractable sail shades provided shade when needed. Lots of comfy couches and chairs to lounge around in, and a few chaise lounges for sunbathing. A great place to take a book and read, or sit and chat with friends.

The Spa was great. It was smaller than I expected based on the brochure, but that ended up not mattering because the services were great. I had two massages and a facial during my stay and enjoyed them all. The manager/scheduler was extremely nice and accomodating. The therapists/technicians were happy and made me feel relaxed as soon as I arrived. I thought it might be too hot to enjoy the services on the roof deck, but I was wrong. With the fan going and cool towels on my neck it was perfect.

The restaurant, BLT, was fab-u-lous!!! Expensive, but worth every penny. I had the best filet mignon I've had in years. Their popovers are to die for.

The staff is simply amazing. The doormen, front desk staff, Paul the concierge, wait staff, cleaning staff -- everyone -- is helpful and friendly.

I don't know what else to say except The Betsy is the only hotel I will go to when I'm in South Beach!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just back from a 4 night stay at the Betsy and once again the service was impeccable, the room was delightful (thanks to Ed) and the meals first class. This hotel is the Queen of the strip and so much more intimate than the high rise hotels. Our room was the best we have stayed at - spacious, perfectly groomed, thoughtfully decorated - it is what keeps us coming back. A big shout-out to Ed for making this trip really special for us. If you are going to South Beach this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: During this visit we stayed in room 231 - a fabulous, quiet, spacious room. You'll love it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Libandma
Jeff L, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Outdrgirrl,

Thank you for your visit to the Betsy, and for your review! Our goal is to make every trip to the Betsy special, and I'm happy that Ed was able to make this happen for you on this trip. We look forward to your next visit - almost as much as you do!

Best regards,

Jeff Lehman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The ladies in the spa are great. Ed the Director of Guest services is the number 1 concierge in Miami, and the guy is awesome. My wife is more contemporary (think W Hotel) than Colonial, but she still loves the place. Great location. Nothing has been a problem here. We will go back, and this is where we'll stay. Great job, keep it up guys!!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at The Betsy Hotel during my recent visit to Miami. I was in town for the American Black Film Festival and the hotel was a suggestion on the festival's website. I was in awe upon my arrival. The hotel is a welcome site on the strip. Very well maintained. I arrived at 3am but was welcomed with smiles and enthusiasm. Surprisingly my room was ready upon arrival and I was quickly ushered to my room so I could rest. The rooms are not huge but very well maintained and decorated, clean, and perfect for a long weekend stay. The staff is absolutely AMAZING! The concierge, Margot, contacted me prior to my trip and made sure every detail from arrival through departure was taken care of. She was very attentive to my needs each day. She even sat with me prior to my departure to make sure my trip had been a success and wish me well on my travels. I wish I could remember everyone's name at the hotel and give each person an individual shout-out. Everyone, the desk clerks, the housekeeping staff, the bellmen were extremely helpful and friendly.

I have stayed in hotels around the world and only one or two can compare to the amazing service that I experienced at The Betsy Hotel (none in the US).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Lockedupabroad
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just returned from an absolutely magical weekend at The Betsy. From the minute my girlfriends and I arrived on Friday to the time Thomas the Bellman/our new best friend put us in our cars to head to airport on Sunday, we were looked after as if we were staying with family members. Beautiful, SPOTLESS, cozy rooms, amazingly welcoming and helpful staff (Emanuel, Adnan, Margie and THOMAS!!!), delicious food and beverage service and perfect location. The iced lemon/lime water at the pool, the afternoon mimosa station at the front desk, the DELICIOUS fresh grapefruit juice at BLT, the beach towel and charm service - everything was PERFECT. I picked the Betsy for our 7 person group bachelorette party and I am so grateful to the hotel for making me look so good. We will never forget our trip and we all cannot wait to return to this special special hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rachel S
Sheffield,England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights at the beginning of our 15 night Florida holiday in May this year, we chose The Betsy after seeing the website and the reviews on Tripadvisor and thought it would be a nice place to stay especially as it was our wedding anniversary during our stay. We arrived late afternoon and check in was effortless and the staff were very pleasant and courteous. Our room was 320 and although not huge was very nicely decorated, we were offered a pool view room but you couldn't really see the pool and room 320 was set out better and seemed more spacious so we stayed where we were, the bathrooms are small and the shower in the room wasn't very powerful, but overall it was very comfortable.

The bar/lounge area is very nice and the drinks although not cheap (your on Ocean Drive nothing's cheap) are great, good wine and cocktail list, not sure of the barmans name but he was from Boston and a great help when choosing from the menu.

We dined at BLT Steak on one of the nights and the food was lovely, and service very good, I've read some reports on BLT Steak and people often quoting that the food is the "best they've ever had" and "best steak I've ever tasted" , well it's good but it isn't "that good" and I've had much better elsewhere. We had breakfast also at BLT Steak on our first morning which was absolutely wonderful and both thought that this was a much better dining experience then our evening occasion.

We enjoyed the roof top terrace and the pool, which we only used late afternoon to cool down once the sun had gone, I think it's only sunny on the pool area from mid day to around 4pm. We used the beach, which is just across the road, most though and the hotel has a tie in with Boucher Brothers for the sun beds and umbrellas.

The best thing about The Betsy is its location, its one block from Collins Ave, and a 10 minute walk to Lincoln Road, it's at the quieter end of Ocean Drive which can become a bit of a circus at times, but The Betsy is a very relaxing and peaceful place to stay.

When we returned home we realised we had an issue with our bill, but this was dealt with very professionally and courteously by the reservation staff through e-mail and the matter was resolved.

Would I stay here again?, this was my 2nd visit to Miami Beach and both times I've stayed on Ocean Drive, if I was to visit Miami Beach again I might try somewhere else further up the coast, as Ocean Drive does drive you crazy after a bit, but if I was to stay on Ocean The Betsy is the only place I would stay. Expensive but worth it for the location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We arrived at 4 pm and were told the room would be ready in about 30 min. We had a drink as we sat in the lobby and enjoyed the activity. A lovely casual and elegant ambiance. I was reluctant to stay on Ocean Drive because of all the activity and hype, but this was turning out to be very relaxing. We were only there for one night, but already were wishing we could stay longer.

We were escorted to our room and much to our surprise, we seemed to have been upgraded a lovely suite. The room was far beyond our expectations and felt right at home. The service and attention to detail was well orchestrated. It was evident that there was an emphasis on customer care. We had several calls from the front desk asking if we needed anything. Very nice touch in that I am mildly handicapped and sometime need extra assistance.

We definitely will return when in Miami Beach again in January and hoping we can stay longer. We were not there long enough to see all this hotel has to offer, but will be prepared to take it all in next time.

When traveling we usually stay at "Boutique Hotels" and expect great service and lovely surroundings. This was probably one of our very favorite and would consider it the best of any we have visited.

Thank you so much to all who made our stay comfortable at Betsey !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple