“What a magical experience!”

The Betsy - South Beach
Ranked #11 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Our friends got married on the rooftop deck of the Betsy and we stayed there for 3 nights and it was a magical experience. The rooftop deck is gorgeous and the entire experience was really wonderful. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was so friendly and helpful and delighted to make the experience the best possible and they succeeded. We ate the BLT and the food was fabulous. We love to cook and are tough critics but the burger at lunch was excellent and the dinner we had was incredible also - steak, baked potato and asparagus. The Betsy also provided the food was our friend's wedding and that was perfect too. We enjoyed the pool one day and the beach on the second day. The chair and towel service at the beach was first class. I would love to stay at the Betsy again and hope I get there sometime soon. Thank you for making our stay and our friend's wedding magical.

2  Thank Linda S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

What a fantastic small hotel. Friendly, casual and luxurious all at the same time. BLT is hip and modern, food is fresh and delicious. Nice wines by the glass, wonderful sushi. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, the shower is heavenly. The bath products are fresh and appreciated. The pool is enclosed in a courtyard, but the beach is a two minute walk across the street where attendants will provide you with chairs and towels. The deck is a lovely place to sip a drink and listen to the waves with the light breeze.

Room Tip: The king bed suite is lovely and quiet, but has a view of the pool instead of the ocean.
2  Thank Nancy G
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I chose to stay at this hotel based on all of the positive reviews posted here and on other travel sites and I now regret that decision. I normally like to stay at chain hotels because they usually have decent size rooms and I like to earn points, etc. when I am spending money on travel. The hotel was perfectly nice enough, but the room was impossibly small and there was not even enough room for a dresser (and this was a deluxe room; I'd hate to see the standard!). The only reason the size wasn't a huge problem for me was because I was staying there by myself. If there had been even one more person in that room, we would've been stepping over each other! The biggest problem that I had with the room (especially being alone) was the fact that there was no additional latch or lock on the door that could not be opened from the outside. I was very troubled by this and almost left the hotel, but I was only staying for 2 nights and I'm sure I would've been charged some early check out fee or something. The next time I go to Miami, I will definitely stay at a different hotel.

1  Thank Cocowheats
Jeff L, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Cocowheats,

Thank you for your visit, and for your honestly felt comments. Our rooms do vary in size, and most of the hotels on Miami Beach have such a variety because 99% of the properties were orginally built in the 1940's, when cozy was the norm. When we restored the entire hotel a few years ago, we combined rooms and expanded wherever we could - now, a third of of our rooms are suites with separate living/sleeping areas and oversized bathrooms. On your next visit (hopefully) you should try one of these! I would be happy to personally help you book into on that will meet your expectations, and you can savor everything that Betsy has to offer as most of our Guests do! I am happy to read that the rest of your stay was good, and we do hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We only stayed for one night but were extremely impressed with the staff and the room. Everything was super clean, everyone was super friendly and I highly recommend the BLT steakhouse at the hotel. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff L, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Jennifer Y,

Thank you for your visit and your review! I was happy to read that you'll be back - hopefully for a longer visit next time! We are ready whenever you are - please contact me if you would like to receive our monthly Arts Calender, to help you plan, and see some of the amazinf events we host throughout the year!

Best regards,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We spent 4 days in Miami in this hotel: friendly staff, clean room, outstanding beach service.
We did not try the steak house, despite its high rating. From check in to check out, everything really worked, highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Room on the pool side are quite
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mobby63

Dear Mobby 63,

Thank you for your visit - The Betsy seems to be a prticular favorite for travelers from Italy...perhaps it is our elegant yet understated design or our warm, welcoming personnel style! In any case, I was pleased to read that you had a great stay - and we look forward to welcoming you back, again and again..

Best regards,

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We expected more for $500+/night.

Concierge service was terrible. First concierge I spoke with over the phone four days prior to arrival when I called to see if they could help with activities during our stay. He was super friendly and personable during the conversation and said if I emailed him that would be the best way to arrange anything. Later that day, I emailed a brief description of what we wanted to do (jetski, boat tours, etc.) and also asked for some restaurant and night club ideas. He emailed me back two Excel spreadsheets - a list of restaurants and a generic activities flyer. Never read the email, just attached the standard forms. I replied with one specific activity we wanted to go ahead and book but he never wrote back. I called the next day but he was out. Called the day after that but he was still out. (He said during our first phone convo that he checked his emails everyday, even if he wasn't in.) Then I called and asked for another concierge who might help us. He identified himself as the "head of guest relations", said he would call the first concierge we spoke to and call us back within the hour. Never called back. Finally the day before our trip I called again and this time got a concierge who was actually very helpful, Margot, and she immediately helped me arrange for a boat tour. She was also very helpful during the rest of our stay. Too bad the first two were a complete joke.

The bathroom had the strangest design I have ever seen and it was not possible to take a shower without flooding the entire bathroom with almost an inch of standing water that would remain after and not drain. I do mean the entire bathroom because it was one big open space with no division between the toilet, sink and shower area. To be fair, I believe it was designed that way to be ADA friendly/compliant, which is a great thing -- however -- water should still efficiently drain. Having your feet under half an inch of used bathwater while you sit on the toilet wasn't the greatest feeling.

One of the two A/C's in the room could not be adjusted because the control was broken, you could only turn it on or off. You could not change the fan speed.

The telephone handset was broken so you had to use speakerphone to communicate with the lobby but then they couldn't understand what I was saying because I was on speakerphone so I had to take a trip down to the lobby anytime I wanted to speak with the front desk.

WiFi and beach towels are an extra but required "resort fee". Seriously? If it is a required fee then it should be added to the price of the room and included in the total.

Breakfast way overpriced a la carte with no continental option that we were made aware of.

Bring ear plugs because if you stay in room 208, garbage trucks right outside your window at 5am will wake you up. Woke me up each morning and I am a super heavy sleeper from New York City. Car alarms and jackhammers are just ambient background to me but these trucks, ugh...

We found hairs underneath the pillows. Maybe too much time wasted on turndown service and not enough time spent cleaning the room in the first place? I'm not talking about a random eyelash. Multiple, large, long hairs that you couldn't possibly miss if you actually changed the sheets between guest stays. Gross.

Some of you might be wondering how this review can be so poor while this hotel is rated #1 by TripAdvisor in Miami Beach. It's the price. Maybe we got a really bad deal. At $200-250/night, I would rate this hotel much, much higher, probably 4/5 stars most categories. At $500+/night, you can't have concierges disappear on you, things not working in the room, a bathroom that floods when you shower, etc.

I will say that except for the first two concierges we dealt with, the entire staff was truly 100%.

The location is excellent, the other reviews are accurate -- steps to the beach.

I would say if you can book for $200 or less per night, go for it. Otherwise, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank reyxlp
Jeff L, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear reyxlp,

Thank you for your review - honestly. It gives enough information for us us thoroughly investigate how it could be that so many things could be so wrong on your stay. Regardless of the price, our goals for service & quality are quite different from what you experienced - and actually that is what most of our Guests at similar or even higher rates feel. Still, I always appreciate the opportunity to dive in and find any weaknesses and ensure that we are consistently able to wow and impress. I would be happy to speak with you further about this stay or, hopefully, your next one!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed at the Betsy with my family for 1 night and what a treat. Staff are very friendly and attentive. The roof top bar is very special (and pricey) and the beach service outstanding. Definitely recommend if you want to feel special.

• Stayed: June 2013