“Beautiful and stylish hotel at a great location in Miami Beach”

The Betsy - South Beach
Ranked #16 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We spent our honeymoon in this hotel and it was indeed memorable for us! We were upgraded to the best room in the hotel and that was a really pleasant surprise. The room was beautifully decorated and sublimely clean! Loved the bathroom too! Dinner and breakfast at the hotel was quite expensive but overall a nice experience.
The pool was too cold so we didn't even attempt to take a dip.
The rooftop was also worth checking out. I had a wonderful time at this hotel. Would definitely be back here!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Abby T
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Abby,

Congratulations again on your recent wedding! Much as our repeat Guests are so valuable to us, senior reviewers on TripAdvisor also hold a special place in our hearts. I'm happy to read that you had such a great time - please be sure to let us know when you are becoming a Repeat Guest - perhaps an anniversary tradition?

Best of luck,

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Let me say that I am baffled by the very high ratings for this property. The issues we had with the property weren't one-offs, they were structural. I have traveled to five-star hotels around the world for more than two decades, and I have never paid so much for so little. And on an absolute basis, this hotel would rate three stars.

On a weekend trip to SOBE, my girlfriend and I spent $500+ per night for a standard room at the Betsy Hotel. As the bellboy opened the door, the shock of seeing the bed almost touch the open door and the incredibly small room was immediate. It was so small that I had to go downstairs to the lobby to use the bathroom - barely one person can fit in the bathroom. When asking directions to the lobby bathroom, the front desk person asked how my room was, to which I responded that I was surprised by how small the room was. The response appears to be a theme for the staff - "It's a boutique hotel, so what did you expect. There is umpteen years of history at the Betsy!"

Staying with the room, the walls would do well to be paper thin. You can hear every conversation in the hallway, and every arrival of the lone elevator. What's more, the guests above our room weren't particularly loud, but you could hear every footstep, every drawer opening, and placement of items on their desk. And, if a door closed on our floor, our door shook. The bathroom was tiny and there was no room to place items so we were using the toilet seat to place items. The mirror fogs up with the use of the shower (no bath) such that you had to go out to the tiny room to do your makeup or blow dry your hair. The power outlets aren't close to the mirror, so I tried to work with a mirror from across the room (the only time having a small room helped). The fixtures had poor grouting and the water pressure for the shower was weak. Finally, there wasn't a pay movie capability on the TV (but they did have checkers in the lobby).

The Betsy appears to have also misunderstood the definition of service. Being friendly doesn't equal service. You also need to be knowledgeable, and that simply wasn't the case. There was no newspaper deliver on any of the days we were present, but plenty of excuses ("there's a Marathon today"). The room service delivery was very prompt which was nice, but they did nothing with the food - plopped it on the bed and virtually ran out of the room. How about, "would you like me to unwrap the food?" or "Could I set up your breakfast." Finally, how about the valet who tells our cab that we want to go to Little Haiti?! He never asked where we wanted to go, and we were going to the Delano Hotel on South Beach, not the crime ridden neighborhood of Little Haiti.

The hotel binder talks about the 24/7 state of the art fitness club, but this is a room with weights and a couple of treadmills in it. The pool is like one you'd find at a run down motel with no sun. Finally, they have a nice roof deck bar, but it is completely underutilized. Hardly anyone goes up there.

The pros were location which was fantastic, BLT which is a nice restaurant, and the comfortable bed.

AVOID!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank AmanJunkieBoston
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Aman Junkie Boston,

I sincerely thank you for your recent stay and for your review, as surprising as it was to read. Of course, you can't make everybody happy all the time, and whereas we do succeed most of the time, we obviously did not met your standards. We always try to be neither defensive nor dismissive; to that end I would definitely appreciate both an opportunity to talk to you directly, and of course, the chance to show you the Betsy experience that most of our Guests are writing about. We take our service and our Guests very seriously and very personally at the Betsy. I do hope you will give me the opportunity to explore your stay further with you.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

From the walk through the held door (thank you Christopher) to the Front Desk (Nikki and Ashley) to the concierge (Adam), the experience was beyond expectations. Our first vacation as a family was made perfect due to the staff and amenities at the Betsy. Even the maid service was over the top accommodating. My only disappointment was I didn't eat at the hotel until the last day. We realized a little late it was one of the best meals we had in our four days in South Beach. Don’t miss the chicken sausage on the breakfast menu, and the fish tacos and hamburger on the lunch menu. Brilliant. Thank you “Betsy” for a much needed break from the harsh winter at home.

Room Tip: We choose a room overlooking the pool because it was quieter than street view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank LambieJones

Dear Lambie Jones ,

Thank you for your visit and your review! I am happy that we could thaw you out from such a harsh winter this year - even if just for a short, sun baked weekend. We are here whenever you need that break!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

splendid building in the heart of the beach. very good and attentive staff. they were kind enough to make a discount when we extended our stay. should try BLT Steak restaurant for the juicy and delicious steaks. rooms with ocean views are a bit overpriced and may not worth paying more as the views are not that good as the hotel is not tall enough to have a clear ocean view.

Room Tip: ocean view, however a bit overpriced
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ErolBrc
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear ErolB13,

There's that "Gem" word again! Thank you for your visit and your review - I appreciate your taking the time to comment on your stay and the hotel! We were happy to make it work for you to extend your stay, and will of course always do our best for you wehn you return - our repeat Guests are such an important part of the Betsy's fan base! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've spent 3 nights with my wife in late december 2012. We were very happy on the Betsy since we got there until the checkout, as it is a perfectly located hotel in South Beach, few blocks away from Licoln Road and Ocean Drive's hype. This boutique hotel lacks in space but overcomes it in several aspects:
- with a lovely pool - I remember it was empty and we had fresh towels and water available.
- the beach in front of the property is perfect to relax (you have to pay a fee to use chairs and umbrellas in the beach)
- the roof is absolutely beautiful: a gorgeous view with and good bar and a very calm atmosphere. - the hotel is very, very clean and I really appreciate that.
- the restaurant seemed to be very good - we couldn't find a table without reservations - but we could appreciate the jazz band that plays there by night.
- the staff is helpful and efficient
- it's very elegant, without being tacky or exaggerated

Why not five stars then? Lets go for the cons (that didn't really matter for me, but...)
- You cannot open any window on your room, as it's a nonsmoking facility (little bit of a claustrophobic sensation)
- Room service and restaurant both close at 10pm. And that's it. For two nights I walked several blocks to find a decent restaurant opened.
- They say that "your car will be down here in five minutes", but it always took much more! Lovely chat with bellboys relieved the inconvenient wait.
- Expensive spot. For example, the orange juice (a regular glass) costs $7 - and is delicious and natural. As I asked the second glass of juice, the really nice waiter gave me one extra for free. Yes!
- Wi-fi does not work properly on the room. Or at least didn't on ours.
- It can get noisy here late at night. Well, it's South Beach after all...

Long story short: elegant couples will love this place and we will definitely come back as it seems to find no match in South Beach area. The details, the jazz at the lobby by night, the concern with cleanliness and the roof vibe will stay forever in our memories. But still, exactly for being such a gem, they could improve internet, valet parking (which I know is really difficult) and extend room service (and maybe some windows and stronger shower). But, after all, it's South Beach, and it's the very best you will get.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brasilianontheroad

Dear Brasilianontheroad,

Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to write your review. Calling us "The Very Best You Can Get" in South Beach is quite a strong statement, and I certainly appreciate that. We certainly try to be the best, and also to always try to improve where we can - to that end, your thorough review is quite helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back, so that you can experience our never-ending efforts to be the best!

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I left this hotel with mixed feelings, I really wanted to love it but somehow it did not quite make it for me. Everyone has different views on what makes a great hotel and the reviews below say it all, but still I was not sad to leave. Service, food, situation all excellent. Value for money not really, and a daily resort fee for towels around the pool plus Internet access is a little unnecessary. Ok so it's only $16 a day, but a little like hot water, we expect Internet access as a given. Showing it as a separate charge item only irritates the guests, put the rate up if you have to, but the days of charging are surely numbered. So for me it's only a very good!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank AnthonyPit

Dear AnthonyPit,

Thank you for your review, and for expressing how you enjoyed your stay. Indeed, South Beach is expensive, and providing our level of service can, at certain times of the year, be a bit pricey. One of the things I have always enjoyed about Miami Beach is the disparity between high season and the off season(s), both in crowds and price. Of course there are sacrifices at other times of the year - less events, warmer weather - but all in all it seems that you enjoyed the hotel and our services and I was happy to read that today. Perhaps we will see you again in the Spring or Fall!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Staying at The Betsy Hotel this weekend for my 5th year anniversary was the perfect getaway spot. The hotel is stunning, rooms were clean and elegant, staff was friendly and attentive and to top it off a 5 star restaurant right in the lobby. The food at BLT was amazing along with great service. I haven’t stopped talking to my friends and family about the amazing time we had. I look forward to staying and or just eating there another night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joaquin M

Dear Joaquin M,

Thank you for your review - and keep telling your friends! I hope we can be an annual romatic getaway for you - we will do our best to exceed your expectations eah time that you come!

Warm regards,