“THe best hotel on Ocean Drive”

The Betsy - South Beach
Ranked #8 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“THe best hotel on Ocean Drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Thank you for everything you managed to do for us during our stay this month Margot at the Betsy.The champagne in our room and the chocolates were amazing, your service was first class. Kevin in the reception and all the staff at BLT absolute fantastic !!!! All aspects of the stay could not be faulted every little thing your staff did we found it very helpful. WE would gladly come back and stay at the Betsy without a doubt, the roof top is a must very romantic and the service fab.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms are the best very quiet away from the road traffic
1 Thank Paul C
Jeff L, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Paul C,

I was happy to read your review - as you mentioned our concierge Margot, and the incredible Roof Deck, and Kevin at reception, I know you experienced some of the best of the Betsy! Perhaps next trip, you can time your visit and experience one of our poetry readings, Salon music, or a special event in BLT Steak! We look forward to being your home in Miami Beach!

Best regards,

Jeff Lehman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

A fabulous small hotel with lovely rooms in a perfect location central to South Beach. There is a short walk to the beautiful beach across the street. The hotel restaurant BLT was so great we ate there most of the time, always outside on front porch (even in the rain) or on the rooftop overlooking the ocean. Both the hotel and restaurant had very friendly and professional staff. All the concierges were extra helpful. We are ready to go back anytime.

Room Tip: We were on the inside overlooking the pool- very quiet. Back rooms look on an alley and may have ga...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Patsy T
Dear Patsy T.,

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am so happy that you had a great time. We strive to go above and beyond, whenever we can. As you are ready to come back - we are ready to have you! Our repeat guests always get very special treatment - be sure to let us know that you are now "in the family", and we will do our utmost to make your return even more memorable!

Warm regards,

Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed in this beautiful boutique hotel for 3 nights and I wish we had more time! The hotel is a colonial style building right in front of the beach and close to just anything! All the best places to shop and eat are around the corner.
We were upgraded to a suite and we really enjoyed this experience. The stuff was super friendly and helpful besides some people at the restaurant during our breakfast that were rather uninterested. That was maybe the only drawback that we found.
I definitely advise this AMAZING hotel experience to anyone wishing to stay in Miami Beach and if we are back again one day I will look no further than the BETSY!
Thank you again for this enjoyable stay!

1 Thank EVGI57
Dear EVG157,

Thank you for the kudos - we think the Betsy is pretty special, too! Almost half of our rooms are suites, so there is a fair amount of upgrading going on - especially for our repeat Guests! Just confirm that we know you have stayed with us when making your next booking - we will always make your stay as memorable as this one was!

Best regards,

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I were due to stay at The Betsy for our honeymoon this week. Unfortunately I sustained a back injury due to a fall from a height which left me unfit to travel.
I felt I had to write this review based on the experience we have had from The Betsy, even though we didn't actually make it out there!
As soon as I sustained my injury we emailed them to ask for possible assistance etc. they replied swiftly offering help where possible. Sadly, we had to make the decision not to travel and postpone our honeymoon. Again, the staff at The Betsy went above and beyond duty to assist us and rearrange our booking for April.

Proper review to follow in April though I did want to flag up how thorough, efficient and flexible The Betsy have been in helping us through our saga!

1 Thank tourist13Uk
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Tourist13 UK,

Not your average review, and we try to be not your average hotel. We are in the people business, the life business really. My staff and I respect that planing and traveling is not easy these days, and always do our utmost to accomodate the process. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Laurelville, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was the number one rated hotel on TripAdvisor for South Beach when I made the reservation and so I decided to stay there and did not do my home work. We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in October 2012. It is a beautiful hotel on the outside and lobby and the room was nice and adequate, but not lavish for the price. I was disappointed that the hotel is not on the beach and you have to walk a couple hundred of yards to get there, and it is my fault for not understanding this prior to. The entire staff here was extremely friendly and helpful which makes the stay here enjoyable. The housekeeping at this hotel is very bazaar. After the first night, I had to let the front desk know each night as we left for dinner and have them clean our room while we were out. I do not understand this at all as we were gone from 9:30 am until 5:30 pm each day at the beach. My wife had a glass of wine in the room the first night and second night, and when we left both dirty glasses were still in the room. We had an ocean view room which you can barely see the ocean from due to palm trees and other obstructions in front of the beach. The ocean front room is next to the sidewalk and road so we had a lot of people noise and road noise all night. We could not open any of the windows in the room and after taking a shower, the bathroom was steaming hot as we could not open the window in there either. The BLT Steakhouse has good food, but not great and the service is extremely slow and the waiters almost act like they do not want you there. We ordered a breakfast yogurt , fruit, and croissants and it took over twenty minutes to get our food, they let my coffee run dry, and the cost was $76 before tip.

I have stayed in top hotels all over the USA and Europe and I think I would consider just an average hotel. It was not a bad experience, but it lacks the nuances for a best hotel rating.

Room Tip: If you choose the ocean view room, be prepared to deal with the noise and traffic from people and ca...
2 Thank RAMLaurelville_Ohio
Dear RAMLaurelville_Ohio,

Thank you for your recent visit, and for your review. I regret that the Betsy did not meet your high expectations as we try so much to do with all of our Guests. Usually our service is efforless- seeming and anticipatory. It seems that was not the case during your stay. I would welcome an opprtunity to redeem ourselves, and have you experience the Betsy as most of our Guests do. Please reach out to me directly and I will personally see to it that your next visit is flawless.

calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Betsy was a fabulous place to stay. Rooms were clean, staff was very friendly, amazing rooftop patio, and of course the beach was close. It is on the north end of the 'strip' so we found it to be real quiet on a street that isnt necessarily known to be quiet. a nice balance, close to the action, but not too close. Highly recommend it,

1 Thank ceprotti
Dear chrisprotti,

Thank you for your review - Our friends to the north are very important to us and this looks to be a cold winter. Remember, we typically sail through the winter months in the 70's and 80's (21c to 26c)....so if you need a mid winter thaw, we are here for you!

See you soon!,

Schönenwerd
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

The other day I stopped over at the Betsy with my family after an extended USA trip down from N.Y. to Miami. Having said that, I have seen quite a few hotels along the East Cost (but also across the nation as we travel the US frequently). Given the location and the reputation of the Betsy, expectations were pretty elevated. Now, those expectations deflated rather rapidly after checking in and moving to our deluxe room of 250 sqm and sea view. Forget about the sea view, which is absolutely irrelevant. Given the size of the room (it equals 22 sqm for Europeans who are unfamiliar with US measures) you don't want to stay in this prison cell for too long and stare through the half open blinds at the distant ocean.
It really gets worse, when you try to stuff your familiy (wife plus 2 small kids) into the room along with 5 bags and hope for a good nights sleep.
Never mind, here comes the "terrible" part of the story. After requesting late night at the front desk to check out the next day no matter what, the helpful front officer was quick to avoid complete disaster and offered an alternative solution for the remaining night in the form of a suite (with view to the backyard). I could even have a look at the room after midnight, mind you.
To make a long story short, the always friendly and helpful staff did their upmost to correct my fault (in not checking properly out, what kind of rooms we are looking at) and make our short stay as pleasant as possible. The hotel manager even offered a bottle of wine and miraculously, the larger room with backyard view through the blinds was even less expensive!
Otherwise, the hotel has all the charme you would expect. It looks terrific by day and night and the restaurant is fabulous. Service and friendliness are worth 10 points if there were 10 to give. As a guest, I find the hotel is far too expensive for the available infrastructure.
Check out the St. Regis Bal Harbour for instance. A 60 m2 oceanfront view room costs USD 620, it comes with a 210 sq ft balcony and complimentary breakfast and to top it, the beach is much much nicer. Compare this with 600 bucks at The Betsy with the benefit of staying right at the center of Ocean Drive.

Room Tip: avoid de luxe rooms as they offer only limited view of the sea and safe the money for a nice dinner...
Dear chr_off,

Thank you for your review - and your first TripAdvisor review too! Welcome to the family. It seems that the size of your room was the biggest flaw in your stay; all of our rooms are slightly different and almost half are suites. Small was just how they were built 70+ years ago, and we created so many suites to address that. Our repeat Guests always have high priority with regards to upgrades, and truthfully, our Standard Suites are not too much more $ - even less at times than an Oceanfront room. My point is to give us a call or an email next time you are coming, and we will certainly do our best to make sure you experience the ultimate South Beach trip.