“Beautiful Boutique Hotel”

The Betsy - South Beach
Ranked #16 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Betsy for our mini-moon last month and loved it! It's beautiful, sophisticated, has cool photography hung through out, comfortable, and romantic. It was perfect as we wanted to avoid "swanky" Miami. The hotel is just as pictured in their advertisements and profiles- no trick pictures- it really is that cute. All staff was courteous and helpful and we had two concierges that we worked with who really hooked us up. One set us up with the perfect dinner reservations each night and the other suggested a jet ski tour of Miami. Although pricey, it was worth it as it was adventurous and a really fun way to see everything in 2-3 hours. Overall, I highly recommend it if you're looking for a boutique hotel in South Beach. The only downside was their spa. We booked a couples massage and had to be moved to an area in a hotel next door as their normal rooftop massage location was taken over by thousands of these nats (we were told the bugs swarm in after storms and the hurricane had just gone through the couple days before we arrived). The women there were friendly but it was pretty surprising how they expected us to be fine lying on thousands of bugs until we insisted on being moved elsewhere. I think the cost for that experience was outrageous but everything else we experieinced there really was absolutely perfect. I suggest going up to the roof top to check it out before booking services.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lmw203
Jeff L, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear IMW203,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Our subtropical environment can indeed present surprises, but we also try to have options for our Guests - i am sorry that in this area, we did not meet your expectations. I am pleased that the rest - the majority of your stay was excellent. Please consider coming back in the gentler winter months, when a massage under the stars can be a life changing experience! (time it with a full moon for a very special night!)

Best regards,

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed for two nights for my wifes birthday. The concierge, Margot, touched base with me via email prior to our arrival to ensure our needs were met. The room was beautiful (3rd floor facing pool), quiet, and quirky (books were interesting). The only minor gripes we had with the room were the open shower design, guaranteed to get the floor wet, and the bathroom fan was intermittement. On our second night, Margot sent up a complimentary bottle of champagne, a chocolate torte with a candle, and a handwritten birthday card. This made my wife grin for hours. We later had reservations at BLT steak for dinner. We tried bringing down the bottle of champagne that was gifted from the hotel to enjoy with dinner and was told we would be charged a $35 "corking" fee. This seemed a bit counterintuitive since the bottle was from the hotel. No matter. After a wonderful dinner with the amazing popovers, we stayed for dessert. The tables that adjoin the booth section in the restaurant are very close together. Our romantic dinner was invaded by two other couples that sat next to us. This normally wouldn't bother us but the tables were so close together that one of the ladies, stuffed into a typical Miami beach clubbing dress, her rear end swung directly over our food. Im all for maximizing space but that was a little too close for comfort. Afterwards, to shake off the "near miss"' we went up to the beautiful rooftop terrace and enjoyed our bottle of champagne. Overall, an excellent stay with very minor stumbles. I'd easily recommend this hotel for the location, attentive staff, and charm for any couple looking for a quick getaway.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rcopley
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Betsy is a beautiful hotel with a fabulous roof deck. There are couches and chairs with pillows and pads all over the roof. There is a nice bar and a great view of the ocean. We reserved an ocean view room on the third floor. The room was very nice but there was only a view of the palm trees. Don't pay extra for this room, just go to the roof. The room was very nice and clean but we could hear everyone coming and going in the hall. I am sure this is because it is an old building. There are no coffee makers in the room but you can go to the lobby from 8 to 10 am for free coffee, hop on the elevator and go to the roof. I would recommend staying here, it is convenient to the beach and shopping.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a room with a view, the roof is free and has the best view in the hotel! We...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scook112301
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Scook 112301,

Thank you for your recent visit and your review. Our normally windy weather in the summer has been mild, and only resulted in palms gently blowing gently in the wind, so the trees across the street from us have been growing a little bushy. You will be pleased to know that the City of Miami Beach is in the process of trimming them back as I write this! While our roof deck is still my favorite spot in the hotel, the Ocean View rooms should have much more ocean to view sometime this week.

Again, thank you for your comments!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed at the Betsy with friends for my 40th birthday and everything was just perfect! The staff was helpful and courteous, Paul (concierge) was awesome and the location was perfect! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank A123483
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had a great time this summer in Miami, most of the credit goes to the staff of the boutique hotel "the Betsy''. The location is fantastic, on ocean drive near the 'happenning' areas, yet at the same time calm for a quiet night in after a long night of going out. It’s right across from its own private beach and also a close walk to the shopping areas on Lincoln. The best thing about a boutique hotel is that they make you feel like your home. We were welcomed every morning at the door with a smile by Chris, Ever and Adam. Adnan, Fernando and Luciano were a great help in getting us settled in. Even the hotel waiters made special requests happen, thank you Rainier. And of course, a special thank you to PAUL, the concierge, who basically had a huge part in making me and my sister experience our first ever skydive on the picturesque views of the Keys. All in all I will recommend this place to anyone who visits Miami, and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank F H
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This was a very special trip for me; we were celebrating my eldest daughter´s “sweet fifteen”, so it took me days to choose the right hotel for her, though I had been to Miami many times before. I wanted this experience to be absolutely unforgettable and, being the idea to remain close to the South Beach area, I decided to stay at The Betsy Hotel.
It was a real good decision, for several reasons; the location, the size of the rooms and the beauty of the building, among the most important ones, but what makes this hotel different is the unique staff. They made us feel so comfortable at every moment that we never had the sensation we were just another “room number”, as it usually happens at big chain hotels.
I want to specially thank Luciano, Adnan and Shayla for their friendly and professional service.
If I ever go back to South Beach, which I hope to do someday, my choice will certainly be “The Betsy”, no doubt about that!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Julyro

Dear Julyro,

Thank you for your kind words - we certainly hope you will make it back, too. Thank you for noticing how determined our staff are to exceed your expectations - I will be sure to pass on your comments to those you mentioned (although we all follow the comments very strongly, odds are good that they have seen this already!)

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Lovely colonial style hotel situated at the quieter end of Ocean Drive, just across from the beach. Very close to Espanola and Lincoln Mall Areas. Staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. Nice lobby bar, the roof top area / bar although very welcoming is very underused, perhaps a Happy Hour is the answer here. Pool is fine and an absolute sun trap in August in the afternoon, but who needs a pool with a beach like they have? The BLT knocks up steaks which must be alongside the best in South Beach. My wife and have to say I loved it, and we travel a lot. Very good value for money and we will be back, maybe even next year. That's how good it is!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple