“Pleasant 2 Day Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Pleasant 2 Day Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed at the hotel in June 2012. A very nice hotel, fantastically located on South Beach, which really is a must see. The hotel is very visually attractive, so at this moment it is all in favour for The Besty. The rooms however are rather small, and even the biggest rooms would on take about 3 people comfortably, as a family of 5, they were far too small, and 2 days was defiantly enough. The food at The Betsy is to a high standard, but this come at a price, and when i say 'price' i'm talking about $300 plus for a meal at the steak house, which is a joke to be honest, even though the food is to a good standard. My advice is to get out of the hotel and find some other restaurants, as there are many very good ones in a close distance from the hotel. The staff were very helpful at the hotel, and the rooms were very well kept. So as an overall hotel it is brilliant, but for a family, I would sadly have to recommend elsewhere, with bigger rooms. Couples for example! this is the place to be!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank MatthewPitteway111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

First off, I want to say that I travel with my fiance Isaac a lot and very rarely feel the need to right a bad review, but after our stay last weekend, I feel compelled to warn people about the terrible way we were treated by the staff and management .... and this was AFTER $500 was stolen from our room. Make a long story short, I was down there with about 6 girls and one day we went out for a day trip. I left $500 in the safe and triple checked that I locked it and the door was closed before leaving the room. when we came back late in the day, the safe was open and the money was gone. ok, so we called the police and they came and made a report. I spoke to the director of operations and then the general manager and they both told me the same thing. "we asked our staff if they took your money and they said no" .. then they proceeded to say that they believed their staff over us and insinuated that we were trying to get something free out of them. I've never been so insulted in my life. We spent a lot of money on 2 rooms and the only thing we were looking for was a relaxing vacation. after going back and forth with the manager, the only thing he offered us was a late checkout!! can you believe that?? honestly, I'm still in shock over how they treated us, and how they thought we were lying to them. as if the staff would admit that they stole the money! PLEASE, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, DON'T EVER EVER STAY HERE. there are plenty of nice hotels in Miami to stay at and I'm certain if this happened anywhere else, the manager would have been more accommodating. they were so rude and insulting. please check all my reviews; you'll see that I'm very fair and have reviewed a bunch of places. I tell it like it is; do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. I just got back to New York and I'm still disgusted over the experience.

Room Tip: don't stay in any of the rooms; the staff has access to all of them and you're liable to get...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
14 Thank Isaac420
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Isaac,

Although you were not here, I appreciate that your fiance has written her review, as she threatened to do while here. Nora, I am so sorry that this weekend ended the way it did - however, the facts, of which I am not you told your fiance based on his recent social media postings, are that the claim of missing money from your room was so strange that even the police refused to take a report when called; that the money was allegedly stolen from a locked safe, in a locked room, and that both cameras and lock reads confirmed that the two people required to open a safe (in an emergency) were never in your fiance's room. There were 4 people staying in the room, 7 people all in all in your party with 2 rooms, some (not all) money was taken from a co-mingled fund of all 7 of the girls' money, and there was not a shred of evidence of any wrongdoing or security breach.
I fully appreciate how our refusal to comp your stay infuriated you. We spent many hours of research through the night, reviewing digital recordings, interviewing staff and deciding among our Executive Committee how best to handle the situation. As the threat of negative TripAdvisor and other reviews came even before the demand for the police came, I knew that this review would be written. In fact, you confirmed that fact right up to our last conversation before your late checkout. To pay you something in the hope of avoiding a specious, untrue report is not operating with integrity, which we always try to do.
We have many happy secure Guests who have had cash, jewelry and other valuables returned to them, and we go to great lengths to ensure that our hotel is both secure and comfortable. If something ever were to happen, we would of course respond accordingly. My offer to you of a 5PM checkout and a comp night on a return visit was made in the spirit of hospitality, as I still believe you are just confused about what really happened - but i would stake my reputation on the fact that the money was not, in fact, stolen by my staff. The offer still stands if you would like to return to the hotel in the future and experience it (perhaps with Isaac, your fiance?) the way most of our Guests enjoy the Betsy.

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent a wonderful weekend at the Betsy recently to celebrate her birthday. Leading up to the stay, it was great communicating with the General Manager Jeff in preparing the room for our arrival. He was great about catering to my special requests. Our pool view room was quiet and well appointed. We had great experiences with the rooftop Spa and the BLT restaurant adjacent the lobby. The open air couples message and brunch were very serene moments on an otherwise hectic trip to South Beach. BLT was fabulous as well, with delicious cuts of steak, charcuterie, and one of the finer Manhattans I have had. Service was also savior as they had a cab with our bags waiting for us when we called ahead when coming back from a poorly timed last-minute lunch before our flight out. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sampreet
Jeff L, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Sampreet,

It was also wonderful for us working on your surprise getaway for you and Arusha! Many of our managers (and myself) come from bigger properties where we knew customer service but could not provide personalized levels of it - or really get to know our Guests they way we want to. We try our best to accomplish that at the Betsy and appreciate your noticing! We hope to see you back soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I loved staying at the betsy hotel. I reserved a regular room and was upgraded to their executive ocean view suite as they noticed i was there for a night and the room was free. Since they were making sure the suite was up to par the front desk staff offered us free drinks at their bars. The concierge was also very friendly in offering her services. In fact, all of the staff at the betsy were veryy friendly and helpful during my stay. And the room and view were fantastic! Most of all, i loved the location - close to the beach on ocean ave and at the tip of lummus away from the noise. Also very close to lincoln rd mall and espanola way. Stay here! You won't regret it

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank eatravelove
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

During my stay I felt like I got a glimpse into the easygoing artistic, trendy, sophisticated flair and energy in South Beach, which makes the Betsy such a rare find in the area, unlike so many other SoBe hotels that just seem like they try too hard / are pretentious. From the second we entered, the staff / front desk was incredibly helpful and the concierge took the time to understand what we were looking for and provided a number of thoughtful suggestions. Room service came more quickly than expected. Loved all the details around the lobby and rooms; clearly all well thought out from start to finish. Convenient beach access and a cozy, low key pool area. We had an early breakfast and got spa treatments on the roof deck, which was also an awesome place to people watch and to go for sunrise and oceanview. Ended our stay with a delicious dinner at BLT amongst a great crowd. All in all, would hands down stay at this hotel again. I came away feeling like I learned something special about South Beach by staying here; have yet to find another place like it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AA2162
Dear AA2162,

What a great review - it sounds like you found much of what the Betsy has to offer: The Rooftop Spa, BLT Steak dining, great Room Service and perhaps the best people watching in the city on our front Terrace (hopefully with illy Coffee or a Mojito, depending on the hour!). I suppose I am a little biased, but I agree with you, there is nothing like the Betsy anywhere in Miami Beach! We look forward to your return visits whenever you need a break from the Big Apple.

Best regards,

nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We came to Miami to celebrate a birthday. The Betsy is well located at the northern edge of ocean drive, and so it's a little quieter than southern ocean dr. The staff was very attentive, particularly Paul, the concierge, and Robert the doorman. everyone goes out of their way to be helpful. Upon check-in we were delighted to find that we had been upgraded to a suite witha bottle of champagne, a small chocolate cake and a hand written card expressing birthday wishes. The rooms and lobby are meticulously clean and very well appointed and decorated. Also no south beach musty smell that I've found in other places. The continental breakfast which was included in our room rate was very tasty, though breakfast service was less than exceptional. We also very much enjoyed the yoga class on the beautiful roof deck in the morning. Overall I was very pleased with the hotel. Would certainly go again when we are in south beach and I would send friends .

Room Tip: Corner Suite 323 is great with ocean views and great light, yet quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tpnyc
New Providence, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My friends and I stayed at the South Beach Betsy to celebrate my 60th birthday. We couldn't have chosen a better hotel. The first thing the staff did was to send a complementary bottle of champagne up to my room as a congratulatory gesture. The Betsy is right on Ocean Drive and close to all the action -- a short walk to shopping on Lincoln or night life on Ocean, but without the noise of some of the other hotels. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The hotel was immaculate and the rooms were adorable. Although not an art deco hotel, the Betsy is a small, well appointed boutique hotel where the staff remembers your name and goes out of their way to make your stay pleasant. If I had to make one suggestion, I would probably say that the pool area could be improved. It was clean, but kind of drab and got very little use by the guests. But with the beach right across the street, it had little impact on our stay. I would stay at the Betsy again without any hesitation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends