“A South Beach Oasis”

The Betsy - South Beach
Ranked #11 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We came here with a a few friends to celebrate my husband's 40th and we had a stellar experience. I am very picky when it comes to hotels so I was thrilled to have found this little oasis in the heart of South Beach. Every person at the hotel we came into contact with was incredibly friendly and made us feel so welcome.....such a breath of fresh air. We loved the chic boutique feel of the hotel as opposed to many of the other SOBE hotels that just try too hard to be chic. The rooms are elegant/fun and the beds are so comfortable. Cory helped us arrange reservations for clubs and the concierge was so helpful suggesting amazing restaurants (must go to Ola) The location is perfect....a quiet corner across from the beach. The rooftop deck is gorgeous and the restaurant is fantastic. Awesome burgers. Fab people watching from the sidewalk of the BLT Restaurant. We loved this hotel so much we plan to make a visit to The Betsy every year.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank encapsul
Write a ReviewReviews (2,730)

Reviewed March 17, 2011

Wonderful hotel - I cant say enough good things. Great service, incredible location, wonderful accomodations. Thank you so much!

Only issue is that internet doesn't work for Macs...

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank rshapiro811
Reviewed March 15, 2011

a real find in South Beach, stylish and well run establishment, friendly and attentive staff, comfortable beds and well appointed rooms, great roof terrace and very good restaurant but be sure to book as they get busy.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Britsinthetarn
Reviewed March 12, 2011

I stayed at The Betsy Hotel with a group of friends. Not only is the hotel a beautiful, charming, trendy, upscale boutique, but the entire staff was beyond accommodating. The service was wonderful: willing to help out with suggestions, friendly, anything needed came right away, etc. All in all, my friends and I all had an incredible experience at The Betsy Hotel. The rooms, food, service, decor, and rooftop were amazing and I cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank jsalkovitch
Reviewed March 8, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 3-day getaway in South Beach. I had researched hotel options extensively and decided on the Betsy given its excellent ratings and reviews. Unfortunately, our experience was entirely opposite to what we had expected.

The Good:
1. Manager Corey was able to switch our room after the first night to a quieter pool view room. This was a huge improvement over our initial room (a third-party agency which booked our "pool view master king suite" actually booked us into a "city view" room - i.e. overlooked an alley where the garbage trucks arrived promptly the next morning, waking us up way too early and keeping us up for the hour or more that they idled there). Corey also was kind enough to allow us late check out on our last day and gave us a reduced rate for our smaller room and honoured that lower rate for our disastrous first night as well.
2. Concierge Paul was excellent - scored us a great reservation for dinner one night and was helpful and professional.
3. The night manager did eventually talk the bartender into serving us one drink each just after midnight on Thurs night.

The Bad:

Pretty much everything else:

1. Slippers were meant to be provided in the room and I had confirmed this with the hotel. Upon arrival, no slippers to be found. Front desk told us they had run out and would hopefully have more slippers the next day. So we went and bought some cheap ones at Walgreens only to find out, upon our return, that they had in fact located some slippers for us. This was all in the span of an hour.
2. Our first room lacked shower amenities. I asked the manager for some after our first night there (when I had asked for our room to be changed). It took 2 requests and over an hour to get shampoo, conditioner, shower gel etc. This is not a 500 room hotel so I can't understand why it took so long.
3. The second room we had lacked shower gel. I eventually was given a bottle (brand that the hotel uses) that I am quite sure (based on smell and texture) was filled up with hand soap and not made by the brand that the hotel uses.
4. The bathroom sink did not drain properly. Despite 2 or 3 requests at the front desk to ask them to fix this (after the first one I was told the engineer had looked at it and it was draining), nothing was ever done. The sink drained very slowly and as a result the basin was always dirty. It was square and stylish, but not very appealing with dirt visible.
5. The room was not user-friendly. The bathroom was small and so I wanted to dry my hair in the room while my husband was in the shower. There was no outlet in the room close enough to the mirror. Again, style over functionality. When I called to ask for an extension cord, the engineer brought me a dirty industrial one that was entirely inappropriate for a guest room. It was filthy dirty. He did eventually bring me a normal one that a person would use at home.
6. The light in the closet in the room worked for our first night only. Then it never went back on.
7. Our room was not turned down on our last night there. We were getting ready to go out and my husband turned housekeeping away, thinking they would come back later on. They didn't. When we got back in from dinner that night, around 10.30, I called to ask for fresh bath towels. Someone showed up with one beach towel. Despite 2 more requests on Sunday morning, we did not get fresh bath towels until approximately 3pm. All told, it took roughly 16 HOURS TO GET FRESH BATH TOWELS.
8. On Sunday morning, my husband came out to meet me at the pool and asked the women at the front desk if he could order a coffee (you have to walk right by the front desk to get to the pool area). They told him they would send a waiter out from the restaurant. HALF AN HOUR later, no one had come and I had to ask them again for this.
9. When we were checking out, the bill was wrong and the reduced rate had not been given to us for our first night. The woman at the front desk spoke to me as if I was making up that the manager had agreed to that. She had to call the manager to confirm this and then reduced my bill.
10. At the same time that I was dealing with the erroneous bill, my husband went outside with our luggage to get a cab to go to the airport. He hailed a cab himself, only then to have the valet put other people's luggage into the cab, put those guests into the cab, and NOT EVEN APOLOGIZE TO MY HUSBAND for stealing his cab. I mean, really.

We have travelled extensively and if this wasn't a 4.5 star property, I could understand some of the above blunders. But for the money, and how this hotel tries to position itself as a step above in terms of service, this shabby level of service - pretty much across the board - was completely unacceptable. I can only assume that management has changed recently but I can tell you something, with continued mismanagement like this, this hotel will not last.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank BLJ21
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Let me first start out with the fact that this hotel is beautiful and unique amongst the other boutique hotels in SoBe, however, at $500/nt, they definitely dropped the ball. Upon check-in, my room wasn't ready so I wanted to go up to the roof deck to relax. No, this was closed due to a private party and I wasn't made aware of this in advance, only after check-in. The roof deck was the main reason I chose this hotel in the first place. There were 40 mph winds, so the beach (as they suggested), was not an option. I chose to wait for the room in the BLT restaurant (which was very good and had great service). I inquired about spa services and the front desk clerk couldn't help me, just said info would be in my room (she couldn't find any info at the front desk). My room was nice, but small. They forgot hand towels, so I informed housekeeping, only to have them delivered at 10 pm! This is the only hand towel I had the entire trip. I also only had a top sheet one evening. The rest of the time, they forgot, and I just had a comforter. I was on the 3rd floor, and they woke us up at 5:50 am moving furniture on the roof deck after the party. Security did attempt to address the situation, but it was too late. The elevator also broke due to the same roof deck party. I never had a newspaper delivered, even though I requested one. They do have turn down service, which is wonderful, however, they are supposed to fill the ice bucket. They never did and you can't do it yourself. I had to call down for assistance. I did use the spa services, however, they don't provide you with a receipt and its not on the hotel bill. Odd. I won't know the charges until I check my credit card statement back home. I could go on and on about the "little things" they dropped the ball on. I informed the manager, Jessica, of the situation, and her solution was a bottle of wine. This does not fix anything. The hotel advertises all these perks, services, and amenities, to justify their prices ($500/nt with 3 months advance notice), but don't adjust when those services are not available or distributed. I travel all over the country and world and this hotel did not live up to my expectations.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank klanddt
TheBetsyHotel, Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

Dear Klanddt,

Thank you for recently staying at the Betsy and taking the time to provide your candid feedback. We sincerely apologize your stay was not as enjoyable as you planned and surely not what Betsy guest are accustomed to. We pride ourselves on providing our guest with attentive service and comfortable accommodations. It’s evident that we did not meet our goals with your recent stay.

I have addressed our communication gaffes and housekeeping shortfalls to insure future guest are informed about our special events and do not experience the inconsistencies with their room cleaning and preparation.

I regret not having the opportunity to address the challenges prior to your departure but hope you are satisfied with the outreach response. I have already updated your guest profile to reflect this information and look forward to the possibility for a return trip.

Reviewed March 7, 2011

The hotel is in a great location and the staff were exellent. The room was small but nice and the bed comfortable. The free WiFi was also a nice touch. The bathroom has no counter space which made things awkward for myself and my husband. Also, the lack of carpeting in the rooms may be a nice design feature but it made it noisy. It sounded like the room above us was tap dancing for several hours every day! The fact the mini bar fridge was full of ridiculously priced drinks just seemed silly. There are plenty of small shops around the hotel to buy them much cheaper and they have a nice bar so I don't understand who they are stocking the fridge for. The extra charge for the beach and lack of printer for the communal PC was also annoying. For the price, I'm not sure it was completely worth it. However, the stay was fine.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business