Mondrian South Beach Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Abae Hotel(Miami Beach)
  • Pool
South Beach Villas(Miami Beach)
Bikini Lodge(Miami Beach)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Chelsea(Miami Beach)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Astor(Miami Beach)
  • Restaurant
  • Beachfront
  • Free Internet
Clinton Hotel South Beach(Miami Beach)
  • Breakfast included
4,061 results
All reviewswhole foodsbay viewsouth beachpool supervisorpool areastar islandbiscayne baymiami skylinepool partyone bedroom suiteamazing poolocean drivepool servicelincoln roadamazing hotelamazing servicevalet parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I stayed at this hotel because Virgin Holidays messed up my trip to Cuba so my friend and I were lumbered with visiting Miami instead.

We chose this hotel because it looked gorgeous on the web and having spent a week at the Vdara in Las Vegas a two months previous we figured it would be a similar experience.

The transfer from Miami International Airport to the hotel is around 1 hour - depending upon traffic.

The hotel itself is located right alongside other hotel and condominuim complexes. There are a few shopping precints nearby, the closest one being across the road where you can buy a starbucks amongst and/or eat at an Italian restaurant and various other establishments. It IS NOT in down-town or in a particularly interesting area - you HAVE to travel to get to the interesting parts of Miami. The hotel is indistinguishable from the roadside so easy to get mixed up.

Breakfast was not included in our package, but that was fine as there were several eateries which provided breakfast and were locally notorious and we wanted to check them out e.g. 11th St Diner (which served disgusting food, was grotty and was a huge disappointment) and Big Pinks (which was wonderful and lived up to it's reputation).

Back to the Mondrian:

On arrival we had to wait a while to check-in, there were not enough staff on and rooms were not ready for us - which was annoying. When we were served I noticed that the member of staff looked quite scruffy and dishevelled even though he was in their uniform of beige jacket and trousers with white shirt.

The clientele seem to be college kid types and very aesthethically conscious people so at times it was nosey and none to pleasant being in the lobby.

The lobby area is made up of plastic futuristic seating which was comfortable enough. There is a huge picture of a weird looking face of a white child with druggie type dilated eyes in the lobby ... not sure what that is about as far from being artistic it's freaky and none too interesting - how about the hotel reflect the mix of cultures in the Miami beach area? Or just leave the ugly face off the wall!!

The concierge -.... hmmmm one was excellent one was beyond poor. I can't remember which one was which because they were not wearing name badges. Suffice it to say just be sure of what you want and always have a guide book on hand to offer a second opinion.

The bell boys were excellent and were ALWAYS polite and helpful. They were smartly dressed and always opened the door or hailed a cab for us, to the point where I almost felt embarrassed ... nevertheless their etiquette or manor did not change depending upon who they were serving which was wonderful. They always received a tip from me.

The bedroom - what can I say about the rooms?

White walls with scuffs.
Again treated to the ugly, silly, irrelevent big face muriel on the wall! (see the website to understand my point) Well the room I was in was very spacious and even house a kitchenette (much like the Vdara), however the kitchenette was ill stocked with stuff for it's use, instead the cupboard housed T-shirts and memorabilia of that ilk. Other things stocked like chocolate, water, crisps etc. were charged as mini-bar NOTHING was complementary. There was some ground coffee in the cupboard too, but there was a coffee machine available for use - however the coffee had to be bought - the coffee machine was absent from my travelling companions room. I had to drink something as I wa unwell so had some water from the cupboard which they charged $10 for. One of the days I acutally tore my skin off my finger trying to open the safe - so agan - provisions of little use. There was a cockroack crawling aroung in the cupboard - I closed said cupboard door and didn't bother to venture back in there.

The bed was huge and comfortable and offered a good nights sleep.

The lights in the room were strange, there was an orange light to uplight what looked like a copper effect mirror, which was useless. The TV remote control in my room didn't work so I was not able to watch TV in bed.

Wardrobes? Where are the wardrobes? - OK there were none. A huge bedroom with no wardrobe or chest of draws ... intead I can have fancy up/down lighting which is no use to me. My clothes resided in my suitcase for the duration of my stay due to the lack of ANY storage space ... luckily I was only there for two nights (I won't ever be travelling with Virgin Holidays ever again).

The bathroom .. very swanky looking, but totally lacking in functionality. The door wasn't flush to the floor so the shower constantly flooded the floor, the first time it happened I was worried; the second time it happened I was concerned I did something wrong ... the third and subsequent times the flooding occurred I just didn't give a damn and put it down to the Mondrian being a totally rubbish hotel that looks to 'style' over practicality and substance.

My travelling companion phoned his girlfriend at home (England) from the hotel room as he figured it would be cheaper than using his mobile phone - how stupid was he? The charge for the 10 minute call? $70

Would I go there again? A resounding NO!

My friend and I went to the Ritz-Carlton for drinks, the place looked so, so, so much better to stay at and the staff were polite and professional - the clientèle were much better too!

Would I recommend the Mondrian Miami Beach - YES to my worst enemy. Do yourself a favour; do not stay at the Mondrian if, like me, you are a discerning traveller and understand and know how hotels should work and are not easily impressed by mere aesthetics. Seems a lot of the other reviews are so bowled over by the way the place looks they forget that the service and practicality of the hotel sucks.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
7  Thank Chachachingching
Reviewed September 11, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Mondrian Labor day weekend. The staff was very friendly and everyone seemed very interested in making us feel welcome.

The hotel is located on Bay side vs the ocean side. It is much more quiet and serene than the hotels on the ocean side. We are in our late 40's and enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of the Mondrian. The Ocean side hotels are more for the younger crowd - lots of music and partying. It was fun to people watch on the Ocean side of South Beach, but it was nice to get back to the quiet of the bay side.

A Whole Foods store is just a 5 minute walk away so it was nice to be able to have some healthy choices for snacks/breakfast. We didn't dine at teh Mondrain or take in the pool area, although it looked like a fun place to hang out.

The room (we had a suite) was spacious and everything was spotless. Nice TV, Ipod dock (wish I had know about that!), microwave, small fridge. Bed was REALLY comfortable - only complaint is the bed only had a comforter - no sheet ... so sometimes it was too hot having a comforter on and wish we had a sheet to cover ourselves. The room had no problem cooling off in pretty hot and humid conditions.

The beach is about a 15 - 20 minute walk. We always felt safe on the streets although the walk to the ocean (about a 10 block walk) was a bit more littered than I expected.

We had a great weekend staying at the Mondrian - and if we come back to South Beach we will stay there for sure!!!! The staff was EXCELLENT! Great job to the management for how they run this hotel.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Lisamondrian, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of your wonderful feedback. It seems as though you touched on so many fantastic elements of the hotel. Our commitment to excellence is so paramount to our success and we are thrilled that it all seems to have translated into your stay.
Thanks again for your amazing comments, we hope to thrill you again soon.
Lisa McCarthy

Reviewed September 7, 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights over Labour Day weekend and had an all-around amazing experience. The high-level service started even before we arrived when Lisa McCarthy provided us with recommendations and bookings for restaurants and hot spots for the nights we were planning to be in Miami. Upon arrival, we were welcomed by a chic and trendy hotel lobby and were then upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite when we checked in. We loved our spacious & stylish room and all the little details about it (2 TVs, Bose ipod dock, full kitchen with utensils, chandeliers, mirror in shower, etc.). We dined at Asia de Cuba on our first night and it was a fantastic meal and one of the better restaurant options in South Beach. The pool had a great vibe to it and the pool concierges David and Leo provided stellar service every day. There's a very popular pool party every Sunday during the summer, which is worth checking out for some interesting people watching and some very unique outfits! The location of the hotel is in a residential part of South Beach right on the intercostal (a 10-minute walk from the beach), but we considered this to be an advantage as it was steps from some great local cafes and restaurants and away from all the tourist traps on Ocean Drive! It is also a block away from Whole Foods and a few blocks from Lincoln Road. The hotel offered great value and great service, and it is our new favorite hotel in South Beach. WIll definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I fell in love with the Mondrian as soon as I saw the stunning lobby - chic, stylish, simple yet effective. Our ocean view suite was simply divine! Not to mention the finishing touches of rose petals and champagne/sparkling wine.

This is definitely one of the best hotels I have stayed at. Hotel service here is fantastic. Luis at the conceirge desk gave fantastic recommendations, and helped us make many bookings at plush restaurants. Thanks Luis!

We ate at Asia de Cuba on the first evening (the ground floor restaurant) - food was amazing. I had a hot stone massage, which I'd never tried, slightly on the expensive side for what it was, but good experience nonetheless.

Try get a balcony with ocean view is my best advice! Watching the sunset in Miami is the best thing!

One night, there was a party in the room above us till 2.30am which was felt was unreasonable. We called Reception and pretty soon after the music was turned down, so many thanks to Reception for that speedy knock on the door above us.

I think this hotel was definitely the icing on the cake for my first visit to Miami and will definitely be asking for the same room again! We miss you Mondrian! Hope to see you soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I absolutely loved this place. When you come to a well designed property such as this it is hard to notice anything else as amazing as the decor, style & atmosphere BUT the staff was so amazing. Some might expect a place like this to be pretentious but it could not have been further from such a generalization. Smiles & Fun all around. I was so pleased. I see others who are nit picking over the parking fees or charge for cocktails at the hotel. Heads up it is a luxurious property in south beach so expect to pay! You cannot argue with the prices here. you are either the type to splurge or the type to slum it (of course there is a middle road too) but in South Beach why would you pick anything other than this place. For real!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple