“Great Place to stay!”

Ranked #38 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Cincinnati
“Great Place to stay!”
Reviewed September 11, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Mondrian Labor day weekend. The staff was very friendly and everyone seemed very interested in making us feel welcome.

The hotel is located on Bay side vs the ocean side. It is much more quiet and serene than the hotels on the ocean side. We are in our late 40's and enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of the Mondrian. The Ocean side hotels are more for the younger crowd - lots of music and partying. It was fun to people watch on the Ocean side of South Beach, but it was nice to get back to the quiet of the bay side.

A Whole Foods store is just a 5 minute walk away so it was nice to be able to have some healthy choices for snacks/breakfast. We didn't dine at teh Mondrain or take in the pool area, although it looked like a fun place to hang out.

The room (we had a suite) was spacious and everything was spotless. Nice TV, Ipod dock (wish I had know about that!), microwave, small fridge. Bed was REALLY comfortable - only complaint is the bed only had a comforter - no sheet ... so sometimes it was too hot having a comforter on and wish we had a sheet to cover ourselves. The room had no problem cooling off in pretty hot and humid conditions.

The beach is about a 15 - 20 minute walk. We always felt safe on the streets although the walk to the ocean (about a 10 block walk) was a bit more littered than I expected.

We had a great weekend staying at the Mondrian - and if we come back to South Beach we will stay there for sure!!!! The staff was EXCELLENT! Great job to the management for how they run this hotel.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Lisamondrian, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of your wonderful feedback. It seems as though you touched on so many fantastic elements of the hotel. Our commitment to excellence is so paramount to our success and we are thrilled that it all seems to have translated into your stay.
Thanks again for your amazing comments, we hope to thrill you again soon.
Lisa McCarthy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights over Labour Day weekend and had an all-around amazing experience. The high-level service started even before we arrived when Lisa McCarthy provided us with recommendations and bookings for restaurants and hot spots for the nights we were planning to be in Miami. Upon arrival, we were welcomed by a chic and trendy hotel lobby and were then upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite when we checked in. We loved our spacious & stylish room and all the little details about it (2 TVs, Bose ipod dock, full kitchen with utensils, chandeliers, mirror in shower, etc.). We dined at Asia de Cuba on our first night and it was a fantastic meal and one of the better restaurant options in South Beach. The pool had a great vibe to it and the pool concierges David and Leo provided stellar service every day. There's a very popular pool party every Sunday during the summer, which is worth checking out for some interesting people watching and some very unique outfits! The location of the hotel is in a residential part of South Beach right on the intercostal (a 10-minute walk from the beach), but we considered this to be an advantage as it was steps from some great local cafes and restaurants and away from all the tourist traps on Ocean Drive! It is also a block away from Whole Foods and a few blocks from Lincoln Road. The hotel offered great value and great service, and it is our new favorite hotel in South Beach. WIll definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I fell in love with the Mondrian as soon as I saw the stunning lobby - chic, stylish, simple yet effective. Our ocean view suite was simply divine! Not to mention the finishing touches of rose petals and champagne/sparkling wine.

This is definitely one of the best hotels I have stayed at. Hotel service here is fantastic. Luis at the conceirge desk gave fantastic recommendations, and helped us make many bookings at plush restaurants. Thanks Luis!

We ate at Asia de Cuba on the first evening (the ground floor restaurant) - food was amazing. I had a hot stone massage, which I'd never tried, slightly on the expensive side for what it was, but good experience nonetheless.

Try get a balcony with ocean view is my best advice! Watching the sunset in Miami is the best thing!

One night, there was a party in the room above us till 2.30am which was felt was unreasonable. We called Reception and pretty soon after the music was turned down, so many thanks to Reception for that speedy knock on the door above us.

I think this hotel was definitely the icing on the cake for my first visit to Miami and will definitely be asking for the same room again! We miss you Mondrian! Hope to see you soon!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Provincetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I absolutely loved this place. When you come to a well designed property such as this it is hard to notice anything else as amazing as the decor, style & atmosphere BUT the staff was so amazing. Some might expect a place like this to be pretentious but it could not have been further from such a generalization. Smiles & Fun all around. I was so pleased. I see others who are nit picking over the parking fees or charge for cocktails at the hotel. Heads up it is a luxurious property in south beach so expect to pay! You cannot argue with the prices here. you are either the type to splurge or the type to slum it (of course there is a middle road too) but in South Beach why would you pick anything other than this place. For real!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed August 18, 2010

There are many things to love about the Mondrian but also a few things about this hotel to dislike. The first impression was not a good one- $37 a night to park is insulting and absurd (yes, we actually turned it down and parked in the lot across the street for $.50 an hour). But the place is beautiful and the one bedroom was a very nice size and the kitchen was a nice plus. The service inside the hotel was very good, maybe even excellent, but the service at the pool was lacking and really inhibited us from spending a lot more money. They were very understaffed at the pool deck which at the prices they charge for drinks is shameful. The pool was my favorite part of the hotel though- the water was silky smooth and perfect. This is an impressive place though and I would definitely give it a chance again at the right price. A bit of a party atmosphere around the weekends which may be a plus or minus depending on your priorities.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
new york
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Wow.. I consider myself alittle bit of a hotel/resort snob. When booking this vacation, thought we'd try the sister hotel of Delano, considering I 've been there three times. Well, was sooooo disappointed. They took my grandma's condo complex, fluffed up the lobby and called it a day. I mean really, the pool still had my grandma's hand rails. The exterior looked like it was falling apart. THe Morgan Group did not pay attention to detail. The crowd was lame and the hotel was trying way too hard to attract the right crowd. After an hour, we took off and went to the Delano, and all was right with the world. Soooo sorry, but this hotel was depressing. Kudos to the service tho...specially the pool staff.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Lisamondrian, Public Relations Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear that Mondrian did not live up to your expectations but are very pleased to know that you found your niche at Delano. Mondrian and Delano are indeed different properties and the nuances of each individual experience may not be for everyone. Thank you for keeping it in the MHG family we value you and your comments.
washington, dc
Reviewed July 16, 2010

and i am not happy! I don't like getting conflicting stories from hotel staff concerning my upgrade request. I do love the modern vibe of the hotel, that's right down my alley... but there are a few items that are lacking.. one thing is the big mess that occurs when you shower. The door doesn't come all the way down sivas you're showering waters spills out onto the floor, so the floor ends up all wet as well as the towel that you most likely put just outside the shower for you to step on. the website says there are iPod docking stations in the rooms, but I haven't seen one unless I'm just overlooking it. I do like the idea of the sink made into the bathroom counter top, BUT it's not all that functional. My number one question is, where are the dresser drawers so I can put my clothes away??? anyway... I won't say that I'd never stay here again because I do like some things about the place and the ambiance, BUT there is certainly room for improvement! hopefully if i come again, this matters will be resolved!

• Stayed July 2010
Lisamondrian, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2010
Dear Rebekah,
I am sincerely sorry you were disappointed in your stay at Mondrian. You were here over a very busy weekend and upgrades were not as readily available as usual. We always try to upgrade whenever possible.

We would love to welcome you back to Mondrian in the future and hope to make your next stay amazing. Don't hesitate to contact me personallyto help make this possible.