“Great Design Hotel in Miami Beach”

Mondrian South Beach Hotel
Ranked #38 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great Design Hotel in Miami Beach”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Top Design Hotel (see pictures)
Great Location.
iPod-Docking station in bedroom!
TiVo Personal Video Recorder!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New Jersey
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Great location with a offbeat presentation. Arrived for the weekend and got upgrade to a suite which included a second room with a small kitchen. Room was slick and clean. View from 12th floor was great of south beach and view of the ocean and the cruise ships coming and going. Bed and linens were incredably comfortable. Wife is looking into purchasing pillows and switching from our home tempurpedic to a pillow top.

Lobby and pool area was slick with lots of "pretty" people coming and going. Actually had to show my key card Friday night to get by the line in the front for the bar scene and the great view of Biscayne Bay.

One slight negative was the women at check in and her total lack of interest in us as we checked in. Not sure she even made eye contact. Small knock, but all hotels should make you feel welcom on check in.

We leveraged their sister hotel, located near the Ritz on the Ocean side, to visit and use the beach facilities. Was able ot change in the sister hotel, get towels and visit the beach. Sister hotel i actually though had a more interesting lobby than Mondrian.

Overall, I would visit again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 3NJgirls
Boston
Reviewed July 31, 2009

After reading some of the extremely positive and stellar reviews of the Mondrian Miami, I arrived in Miami with high expectations. I wanted to stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel in the South Beach, used Hotwire.com to book my stay and I received a book for the Mondrian upon finalization of the booking. I was sorely disappointed. I would never select a hotel away from the heart of SOBE. I always stay at a hotel on Collins.

Upon arriving to the hote,l I realized it is on the last avenue before the bay ( West End Avenue)---away from all the fun excitement of Washington, Collins and Ocean Drive. The hotel is beautiful, modern and chic. I proceeded to check in and the first room smelled of smoke. I called down and spoke to Ed, the front desk manager, and I felt like I was scolded for asking for another room. No one can determine if it was a smoking room or not via their reservation system. The manager did however send up a bell man with a key for another room and for him to verify the room smelled like smoke. At this stage after a lengthy delay and a 5 hour trip to Miami I was not in the mood for sub-par customer service.

The second room while it was larger--contained a much smaller bed, a queen while the first contained a king. I already felt I was treated like a 3rd class hotel guest since I booked my stay via hotwire.com at a much lower rate. I understand how the business of running a hotel or any other business--the more money you spend the more respect you you receive, I have stayed at other 4/5 star hotels and the service was exceptional no matter who you are. Whether you arrived in a Rolls Royce Phanthom or a cab.

There are very few positive things I can say about the Mondrian. The standard rooms are huge comparable to many studio size apartments in South Beahc. I suspect the building was original intended for residences and in the turn-down in the housing market prompted the property owners to transition the residential property into a hotel. It looks great---overall but the spartan approach to the decor is a bit on the cheap side. The rooms are so huge--the little amount of practical furniture is drowning in the vast sea of space. There is also a eat in/kitchen area in all of the rooms. The pool area and lounge area outside are exceptional beautiful. They did an outstanding job with creating an energy or vibe for that space.

The biggest gripe I have with the Mondrian is the service. Appalling, snobbish, short--not warm or inviting. I dread returning to that property--I felt so uncomfortable going through that lobby. The housekeeping is appalling. The cleanliness of the rooms is a bit questionable. I had to beg, plead, call down if I woke up late in order to get service. In any other 4/5 star hotel they would call and set up a time if the privacy/no disturb sign is on the store. Unacceptable--I hope someone from management reads this--like Ed. This is not the way to run such a beautiful hotel. Dreadful.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We were disappointed in our stay at the Mondrian. We were there for the 4th of July weekend.

Positives - very cool decor, great view of the bay, friendly staff, room itself was clean, bed very comfy.

Negatives - white everywhere and they apparently don't clean. Front door is caked with smudged fingerprints, chairs in lobby are dirty, pool area was absolutely filthy with used towels, used food service items, cigarette butts, stained cushions, etc.

Too far from everything going on (shopping, beach, dining, clubs) so prepare to take multiple taxi rides or long walks.

Concierge not helpful when trying to arrange for water sports.

Apparently they ran out of towels so our room was cleaned and they took our used towels (even though they were hanging) and left us with none. Called 3 times to housekeeping/front desk before we could get towels so we could get ready to go out to dinner. On third call we were asked "is it an emergency?"

Worst of all for us (and the reason I won't go back), there was an enormous party in the room next to us on the evening of the 4th. 20-30 people in the room, most of the crammed on the balcony and peering into our room while screaming their heads off and launching fireworks off the balcony. They had the stereo up full blast when we got back to our room at 11pm. 5 calls to front desk, two hours, and 3 security/management visits to their room later, they finally quieted down.

On the other nights, lots of noise coming up from the pool area, even though we were on a high floor.

My overall assessment is that the hotel is not doing well so they are skimping on services and offering low room rates which attract the Spring Break sort of crowd that pile into room, trash the common areas and need no sleep. And it wasn't a particularly chic or attractive crowd at that.

We were looking for a relaxing get-away with a cool vibe and this just didn't meet our expectations.

1 Thank UCLaw98
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 14, 2009

This hotel, its decor and desire to attract a certain crowd, is not for everyone. However, if you're tired of what's become the standard in boutique hotels, the Mondrian will make your head spin in a good way.

I appreciate all the attention to detail and the best part was the staff goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful. The last thing we need these days is rude or arrogant staff when you're paying $300/night.
Enough said. Long live the Mondrian South Beach!

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
JonGoldberg, Front Desk Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
Dear Herculepoirot,
Thank you so much for the kind words with regards to our staff as it is something we always hope to achieve and the staff truly appreciative the kind words. As Morgans Hotel Group we strive to stay on the cutting edge of boutique hotel design and are happy to hear that you really enjoyed our ambiance and design.
I hope that in the future you feel free to contact myself with future bookings.
Regards,
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We only time for a one-night getaway and we chose the hip and highly publicized Mondrian because of summer special...our $200 room came with a $75 credit that could be used towards any of the hotel amenities. From the moment we arrived, despite rolling up in our VW into a parking lot full of Lamborghinis and Bentleys, we were treated in a first rate manner. Every staff member we interacted with during our stay was as attentive, courteous and genuinely friendly as the valet, Kevin, who chased after our car (driven by another valet) to retrieve our camera.

The room was fabulous and huge. Although we had the bottom base studio, it was gigantic, well appointed, chic and clean.

Of course, hanging out in the hotel isn't cheap, with cocktails at $16 apiece, but this was a rare mini-vacation for us and we enjoyed every minute. The cocktails, though expensive, were quite delicious, and the other guests we met, as well as the staff, made for an enjoyable time of conversation and people-watching.

We opted not to have dinner at Asia de Cuba, the hotel restaurant, because it was simply too expensive. We did enjoy cocktails and an appetizer at their patio by the pool, which was fun. One of the cheapest bottles of wine on their list, a $45 bottle of rose from the Loire Valley, was fantastic and perfectly suited to the hot weather.

My partner got a $140 "gentleman's facial" spa treatment, which he enjoyed thoroughly along with some time beforehand in the sauna.

We would definitely return to this hotel. Although it's not on the beach strip, it's in a quieter area on the bay side and therefore less touristy. Hence, I believe, the more reasonable prices.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay with us at Mondrian and we are happy to hear that you partook in our fabulous promotion pf experience more! It sounds like the treatment that was experienced in our Agua spa was heavenly and we are happy to hear that.
We do hope to welcome you in the future and please feel free to contact myself with regards to booking.
New York, Miami
Reviewed June 30, 2009

The Mondrian Miami is the best hotel I've ever stayed in, and I'm a seasoned traveler. The hotel had kindly upgraded us to a one bedroom suite and when my friend and I walked in to the room we looked at each other in disbelief. We literally thought it was a joke or mistake. It was massive. Huge living room, with big screen TV and a TIVO! Balcony. Two Bathrooms (one was a powder room). Comes in handy, believe me. It even had a proper kitchen. Gorgeous bedroom. Amazing "master" bathroom, and of course another TV in the bedroom. The housecleaning staff uses some kind of great fragrance in the room that just lulls you. We just sat in the suite for like 30 minutes taking it all in. And believe me, I have stayed in some nice places, like the bungalow at the Delano and THIS was better. (and a much, much much better value). The hotel has absolutely everything--an incredibly nice and helpful staff (a concierge with locks greeted us at the door as if we were old friends), a stunning lobby and breathtaking pool area with view of the Bay. The sunset is so criminally beautiful you almost want to shoot the sky. And the bartenders! They elevate drinks to a level of high art. The Friday party is great--another reason to stay here so you don't have to deal with the velvet rope (I came to the party once when I wasn't staying here and had to wait a while at the door). So it has everything-if you want to relax you can do that. If you want to party, you can do that too. I have read some reviews about do we need another hotel with white decor. Sure, we need this one. The location on West Ave is perfect for those sunsets and it takes no time to get to the beach if you actually want to go....the pool is so nice that I believe the designers of the Mondrian knew they were competing with the beach so they created something that could truly hold its own. (Insider tip...there's a 25 cent bus on the block that can take you to the beach for nothing). And your guest privilege card can get you into the pool at the Delano or the Shore Club (for the greatest pool party ever). But the Mondrian is tops. And...I have a condo of my own on South Beach, two blocks from the beach on 8th street; I only stayed at the Mondrian because my management company had rented it out to someone else that weekend and I loved the Mondrian so much that I extended my stay twice, even when my own place had freed up and I could have stayed there for no cost. That's how much I loved the Mondrian. And I plan to go back. Without a doubt. Very soon. Just go. There is no better hotel in South Beach, and I haven't been to any place better.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank miaminyc
We are so happy to hear that your stay with us was fantastic and we thank you for the great review. It seems like you fully embraced our Mondrian lifestyle and we hope to see you again. Please feel free to contact myself in regards to any future assistance.

Regards,