We fled to the Mondrian after checking out of an Ocean Drive hotel (the Tides) that could not or would not move us out of a second-floor room overlooking the restaurant's extremely loud lounge act. We were not disappointed! The Mondrian is in a quiet neighborhood overlooking Biscayne Bay. The central and shopping areas of South Beach/Lincoln Road are maybe a 15-minute walk away, with cabs constantly available. But don't let the quiet location fool you. The hotel is as chic as its Los Angeles sister--full of quirky touches that maybe a try a bit too hard (a one-story tall vending machine in the lobby that sells unvending machine goods like watches, Godzilla-scale beach balls in the pool) and beautiful people (Wilhelmena Models has an office in the building). Unlike the staff at some too-cool-for-school hotels, the employees here were super-friendly to everyone, not just the VIPs. I loved the eclecticism of the guests. The weekend we were there, the hotel had attracted many parents with small children, extended families celebrating the holidays and couples, like us, enjoying a quiet getaway. But as we checked in, there was also a guy who, at noon, was coming direct from the clubs. Sunday morning, as I rode the elevator down to breakfast, I encountered an older gentleman with two gorgeous, bikini-clad women, all of whom proceeded to frolic together in the pool. Our room was huge--as big as an apartment-- with a king-sized bed, a full-sized living room and a kitchenette containing a fridge, a microwave and a cook top. One of our first moves was the visit the Whole Foods and the Walgreen's (conveniently located a block away) to stock up on snacks so that we did not need to order everything from room service and restaurants. However, when my husband did eat some hotel food, it was delicious. We also took advantage of the spa, which was able to fit both of us in for a same-day booking. My husband had long hated massages but had grudgingly decided to try one, as a last resort, because he thought it might help his tennis elbow. His elbow felt so much better that he emerged a convert, to the point that he got yet another massage just a day later. I have gotten massages several times a year for many, many years and have to say that mine was in the top 10 percent. I was a little less impressed with the fitness center, which didn't really have enough machines to handle the number of guests staying there on a very busy holiday weekend. I don't think you should have to wait for a machine at a luxury hotel. But the gym did have a lovely view of the bay and the machines all worked, even if a couple of the individual TVs were broken. I would imagine that almost every room would have a nice view, especially on the higher floors. Although our room did not face the bay adjacent to the hotel, we had a very clear view of the ocean.To me, the Mondrian is South Beach at its best. It's chic, with a dreamy pool and hip music and decor, yet its location gives you a chance to experience the vibrancy of the more crowded areas, the hoards and the restaurant barkers, and the Segway-crazy tourists, and then, when you are done, make your escape and sleep in peace. A true oasis.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on newly-fashionable West Avenue, Mondrian is a quiet enclave just minutes from the bustling center of South Beach, offering spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean, Biscayne Bay and downtown Miami. The visionary style of designer Marcel Wanders is apparent from the moment you pull into the porte-cochere: guests walk through a grand entryway appointed with custom-designed furniture, lighting and accent pieces, evoking Wanders' design homage of "Sleeping Beauty's Castle." Upon entering the soaring lobby, the floor-to-ceiling windows offer stunning views of Biscayne Bay. Immediately the eye is drawn to the masterpiece of the room–an iconic, signature "floating staircase." Black and gold patterned furnishings and oversized brass bell shaped lights add a touch of whimsy and welcome guests to sit and socialize or enjoy the view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mondrian South Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mondrian South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Mondrian Miami Beach
- Mondrian Miami Hotel Beach