“South Beach Oasis”

Mondrian South Beach Hotel
Ranked #38 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We fled to the Mondrian after checking out of an Ocean Drive hotel (the Tides) that could not or would not move us out of a second-floor room overlooking the restaurant's extremely loud lounge act. We were not disappointed! The Mondrian is in a quiet neighborhood overlooking Biscayne Bay. The central and shopping areas of South Beach/Lincoln Road are maybe a 15-minute walk away, with cabs constantly available. But don't let the quiet location fool you. The hotel is as chic as its Los Angeles sister--full of quirky touches that maybe a try a bit too hard (a one-story tall vending machine in the lobby that sells unvending machine goods like watches, Godzilla-scale beach balls in the pool) and beautiful people (Wilhelmena Models has an office in the building). Unlike the staff at some too-cool-for-school hotels, the employees here were super-friendly to everyone, not just the VIPs. I loved the eclecticism of the guests. The weekend we were there, the hotel had attracted many parents with small children, extended families celebrating the holidays and couples, like us, enjoying a quiet getaway. But as we checked in, there was also a guy who, at noon, was coming direct from the clubs. Sunday morning, as I rode the elevator down to breakfast, I encountered an older gentleman with two gorgeous, bikini-clad women, all of whom proceeded to frolic together in the pool. Our room was huge--as big as an apartment-- with a king-sized bed, a full-sized living room and a kitchenette containing a fridge, a microwave and a cook top. One of our first moves was the visit the Whole Foods and the Walgreen's (conveniently located a block away) to stock up on snacks so that we did not need to order everything from room service and restaurants. However, when my husband did eat some hotel food, it was delicious. We also took advantage of the spa, which was able to fit both of us in for a same-day booking. My husband had long hated massages but had grudgingly decided to try one, as a last resort, because he thought it might help his tennis elbow. His elbow felt so much better that he emerged a convert, to the point that he got yet another massage just a day later. I have gotten massages several times a year for many, many years and have to say that mine was in the top 10 percent. I was a little less impressed with the fitness center, which didn't really have enough machines to handle the number of guests staying there on a very busy holiday weekend. I don't think you should have to wait for a machine at a luxury hotel. But the gym did have a lovely view of the bay and the machines all worked, even if a couple of the individual TVs were broken. I would imagine that almost every room would have a nice view, especially on the higher floors. Although our room did not face the bay adjacent to the hotel, we had a very clear view of the ocean.To me, the Mondrian is South Beach at its best. It's chic, with a dreamy pool and hip music and decor, yet its location gives you a chance to experience the vibrancy of the more crowded areas, the hoards and the restaurant barkers, and the Segway-crazy tourists, and then, when you are done, make your escape and sleep in peace. A true oasis.

Room Tip: Especially if you request a high floor, you should have a water view from either side of the buildin...
4  Thank Emily23
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Emily,

Thank you for your recent visit to Mondrian and for this kind review. We are delighted you found our staff to be so accommodating. Our team is dedicated to providing an original guest experience in a friendly, attentive and gracious manner. We are thrilled you found this to be the case. We hope you will join us again the next time you are in Miami.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

What a super property!! An extremely beautiful chic hotel with awesome rooms and they are huge.
Very well appointed rooms and with attitude. Great view from the balcony.
I would like to thank them for upgrading me to higher floor and of course for the lovely champagne once they got to know that we are on our anniversary.
I would especially like to mention Toni the cool bell boy..he takes care of all your worries..
There is a Walgreen and a Whole Food store down the block and Lincoln road is walking distance away.
Over all a great stay and wouldn't mind going back to it again.

Room Tip: Opt for higher bay view rooms
1  Thank Monk5000

Thank you so much. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Barbie-esque heads on the wall of the lobby and in the rooms? They certainly did not detract from the luxuriousness of the hotel, but they were somewhat bizarre. My husband and I could not help but laugh every time we saw them. Are they chic? I guess they must be, but they are sort of unnerving.

The location of this hotel is great. You can't beat the view from the pool. It was a 15-20 minute walk to Ocean Drive. The room was very spacious -- it included a small kitchen area with a table.

The staff was great; however, we did have some confusion with the mini bar. Of course, there are no prices on any of the items in the mini bar. We called the front desk to inquire as to the price of a bottle of water. We were told that it was $4. Sure enough, we were charged $10 for it. Our bad for using the mini bar, but it's sketchy that no prices were listed and we basically lost $6 for relying upon the person who answered the phone at the front desk to give us an accurate price.

Overall, this hotel is OK. It is very nice. The staff was very friendly. It is in a beautiful location, but I have to admit the décor was a little bizarre.

1  Thank MsEBandMrVB

Thank you for your recent visit and recommendation. We're pleased you found our staff to be friendly and location desirable. The heads on the walls represent a bit of "wink" from our designer; they are our superhero girls meant to protect you while you are in your room. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I went in to see the whole hotel. I checked the pool, the lobby , the restaurant and the spa. I must say that from the bellboy , who was really polite, to the people at the spa ( Lucy and Roland) who were nice and proper, everything made me feel in a relaxing atmosphere...it's a hotel I would like to come back to stay longer. Beautiful hotel!

2  Thank Liliana Mabel R
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Thank you so much. We are glad your first impressions were so positive and look forward to your longer visit when you can enjoy more of our stellar service and provocative design.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Was in town for an interior designer conference. Although I did not stay in the hotel I decided to stop by to see the Mondrian's unique style and decor. Big chandelier bells adorn the front of the hotel while walking in. It felt As if you were walking in to a castle, bringing a home like feel to this hotel. Glass Paisleys adorned the white walls while the black semi spiral staircase adds a unique touch to the lobby. I proceeded outside where I was warmly greeted by Eddie. The colorful combination of red chairs, white lounge chairs (Which by the way could be cleaned or replaced.) and colorful huge balloon structures made the bay view complete! Beautiful people walked around the pool area. I was approached by an Egyptian goddess in a white bikini by the name of shantel. I Had lunch by the pool in which Shantel recommended a wine pairing for my food, which turned to be a perfect match. Conclusion, great location and chic design- Most of all, superb service by the pool. Will have to stay here when I return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank licelot m

Thank you. We look forward to your visit when you can truly appreciate all we have to offer.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Where do I begin? Walking through the front doors of Mondrian South Beach Hotel is like being transported to another time and place . . . A time and place where service and customer satisfaction really mattered. Upon arrival it felt like we were greater by half of the hotel staff. The manager Nancy treated us like celebrities assuring us that any need could be promptly accommodated; all we needed to do was ask. She was truly amazing (make sure Nancy is working when you check in --she's wonderful). Monica at the front desk quickly checked us in and also assured us the if we needed anything at all she was at our service. The room itself was GORGEOUS!! We had a bay view studio with a balcony from which all of Miami twinkled below us. It was just breathtaking. The studio (with a kitchenette) and the bathroom were beyond clean. The Malin & Goetz products in the bathroom were one of the extra touches that hammered home that the Mondrian is about service, luxury and attention to detail. The pool was like something out of a mirage with cabanas embedded in topiaries and the pool itself and the surrounding area spotlessly clean.

When it came time to checkout, Ariel was courteous, efficient and had us ready to go before the bellman would bring out bags out to our waiting car (all of the valets were amazing; I'm pretty sure their previous careers were mind readers :) )

After several trips to South Beach and many hotel hit and misses, I'm planning to make the Mondrian my go-to hotel in Miami. It's truly a hit for this fussy Manhattanite.

Ben Petrone
New York, NY

Room Tip: Make sure Nancy is on duty . . . She has all of the answers to your questions and concerns!! Stay in...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bcpetrone

Dear Ben,

Thank you so much for this kind review and your recent visit to Mondrian. We are delighted that Nancy and our Front Office team made you feel so welcome. All our staff is dedicated to providing an original guest experience in a friendly, attentive and gracious manner. We are thrilled you found this to be the case and that you have found a home here in South Beach. We look forward to your next visit soon.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I really wanted to give this hotel 5 stars. Have stayed here 3 times before and am a big fan of Morgans hotels. In Mondrian South beach I can say that the staff are always fantastic and really helpful. The concierge brilliant and knowledgeable (Luis especially, thank you!). The doormen and valets just wonderful, remembering your name and genuinely welcoming you back. The pool area and bar/restaurant always a lot of fun, great for people watching and cocktails- overpriced but you expect that in any hotel in South beach. The value for money in the package we had, i thought was really reasonable, choosing the parking package that includes car park, wifi and a room upgrade.
However, the cleaning and housekeeping standards were so hit and miss with the room left to very differing standards each day. I don't think holes in towels/sheets/curains are acceptable, neither are brown (?blood?) stained pillows. I also think dirty cups should be cleaned away regardless, plates left outside the room should not still be there 12 hrs later, and it really bugs me when they don't replace the things you have used.... Just a few of the list of things that let the hotel down on this trip. If i hadn't wanted to have all these services, i would have booked a similar room in the hotel building via air bnb and saved us a lot of money. I love the location and the size of the rooms- surely some of the biggest you get in South beach, and will hopefully be back in Miami next year. However, will shop around, sadly, not sure if i will return a 5th time.

2  Thank nadineabc

Dear Nadine,

Thank you for your recent and repeated visit to Mondrian. We are so happy that you found our staff and vibe memorable and enjoyable. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with our housekeeping staff; our General Manager has addressed these shortcomings vehemently as your experience falls short of our high standards. We do hope you will join us again when you are next in Miami.