“Pretentious”

Ranked #38 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Pretentious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Good service from staff and we were upgraded to a suite, rooms were lovely but hotel was very pretentious! We are a 30 year old couple and love the party scene but the clientele of this hotel were very pretentious and the atmosphere isn't great due to this. Good party hotel on weekend just a shame about the clientele! After 3 days we moved to the savoy on ocean drive which is cheaper in price and right on the beach and we enjoyed this much more than the Mondrian due to it be chilled and none being stared out by the pool!! Also some people had actually brought their kids to this hotel! For anyone with children I would not recommend this hotel. We had a few kids there whilst we were there and due to party atmosphere kids should not be in the pool screaming and shouting and up till all hours of the night while their parents party like they are 18!!Only stay here if you want to party by the pool with a bottle of verve cliquot whilst taking photos and posting them on Facebook,!! Much better hotels in Miami!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellis v, Executve Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Chantelle,

Thank you for your recent visit. We are sorry we were not the hotel for you.

Ellis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Earlier this year my friend and I planned a trip to Miami to celebrate getting over our recent illness. We booked the Mondrian for its modern looks and location in the more busy part of Miami, away from the beach. The hotel is fantastic inside and we loved the overall look, feel and design of the place. Coming from the UK we really felt like we had arrived! The room was very spacious with a separate living area, bedroom and kitchen. There were TWO flat screen TV's (one in the lounge, one in the bedroom), and a lovely balcony with a great view over the bay. On our first night we decided to eat in house whilst getting over the jet lag and had the most amazing burger I have ever eaten in the restaurant... so good that in fact a day or two later we had the burger again!! The main reason for writing this review is that a measure of a hotel is how they deal with a problem... and a couple of days into our holiday a problem was what we incurred. We received a telephone call from home to tell us that my friends father had passed away. This was obviously very distressing and we now had to cut our holiday short and try to arrange our passage home ahead of time. This is where the hotel really came into its own from the ladies on the front desk who helped me get in touch with Virgin in the UK and change our flights, to the concierge who cancelled the trips we booked and refunded our money no questions asked, to the Hotel Manager who personally found me, expressed his regrets and offered assistance. This was one of the most stressful situations that I have ever had to deal with and whilst stood crying at reception all the staff there kept their cool and helped me sort out what I needed to sort out. I wanted to thank the staff at the Mondrian for their compassion and the great service they provided. We hope to someday come back to Miami and finish off the holiday we started!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ellis v, Executive Assistan at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Sally-Anne,

Thank you for your lovely review and recent visit. We are so happy to have made a favorable impression upon you, thanks in part to the excellent and attentive service you received during a stressful time in your life. We too, hope, you can come back and finish your holiday with us.

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I've stayed at the Mondrian SB twice now and have had great experiences both times. The fist time I stayed a few weeks ago I ran into T.I. in the hotel bar. It has a super cool vibe. The bay views are really nice looking over the bay back at the city. If you are on the ocean side you will need to be on a high floor to get an ocean view (the hotel is on the bay side of South Beach) The service was outstanding - I recommend it highly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your recent and repeated visit to Mondrian and for this kind review. We are glad you enjoyed our vibe and setting and are most pleased that you found our service to be outstanding. Thank you again for your recommendation. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

This place has an identity crisis, at least on Saturday nights. Not sure whether it wants to be a nightclub or a hotel. Sure lots of trendy hotels have nightclubs within but this one has a nightclub outdoors at the pool until 2am which obligates all hotel guests to be subjected to loud music until 2am. Not all hotel guests in Miami Beach care to party or stay up until 2am. Some actually book a hotel to sleep. My friend and I stayed here Sat Oct 5 for a Miami Beach event early Sunday morning. This ridiculously loud music from a DJ and live band at the pool began at 10pm. I spoke with Nancy of Guest Relations at 12:28am via phone to complain. She explained that on Saturday nights the music goes on until 1:30-2am, but since it was bothering me they would shut it down immediately. Needless to say it went on until exactly 2am.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank rodman954
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
We are a bit perplexed by your review as our pool side music is turned off promptly at 8:00pm.
Plantation
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a hard time with the reservations department from the beginning. They booked us at the wrong hotel, thankfully I caught it a week before we arrived. They didn't seem to be too knowledgeable, because they had to ask a fellow coworker my questions every time I asked one. They were very friendly regardless.

When we pulled up, valet stood there and waited for us to approach them. The bellman was nowhere to be found as we struggled to pull out numerous shopping bags and luggage. We struggled to open the huge front door and eventually made our way to our room without help.

At check-in we didn't receive the room we originally booked. We had an upgrade, but going from a king bed to a queen bed wasn't an upgrade to me. So they put us in a different room in order to give us a king, and it still wasn't a king. Their hallways and elevators were about 85 degrees, and unfortunately our room keys didn't work the first time (long haul back down from level 15 in a steaming elevator stunk). Our in-room a/c unit was overly loud as well as the neighbors, so when we finally requested a different room since we couldn't sleep, they said they were booked and couldn't do so. The maintenance man and security were quick to respond and tried fixing things, however it ended with towels stuffed under the door to quiet the rattling. It ended up being a good thing, because it muffled the sounds of the party people on the adjacent balconies. Hard floors don't hep in hotels either! Fortunately, the bed, even though a queen, was sooo comfortable. I wanted to stuff the pillows in my luggage and take them home.

Unfortunately parking and internet are not included in the expensive stay. That was a bummer. The full kitchen was great, however we had zero supplies besides silverware and plates. Not sure what the point of a kitchen is if it's not fully stocked. We were sent soap and a sponge the size of a notebook when requested for dishes.

I loved the products they gave us in the bathroom. I'm curious if these came from the spa. I enjoyed them a lot. The room was very clean, no complaints there! Our view of the Miami Skyline was gorgeous as well. The pool area is huge and the service is great. They take good care of you.

When I checked out, the front desk was very apologetic for the problems we encountered and was able to comp my parking for the hassle. I was appreciative of that.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Ashley,

Thank you for your recent visit to Mondrian and for this review. While we are delighted our staff provided you with friendly and attentive service, we regret that we failed to exceed your expectations.

Yes, our spa, Agua, sells the full-sized bottles of Malin & Goetz products.

Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

The first impression of this hotel was not very nice. The lobby was packed with rappers, showing no manners to other guests at all. I figured this was a one time incident but it was not. Other than that, the room itself was very nice and big. I really liked the solution for the room, as it was more like a small apartment. Staff was very helpful. This place has the worlds most expensive filter coffee in the lobby bar, at 8 USD. I tried it. I slept good. The room was clean. I won't come back before customer issues are fixed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Fantorangen
Thank you for your recent visit. We are glad you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and our rooms comfortable. Mondrian attracts a wide variety of clientele, from families to celebrities--we like to think we have something to offer everyone. We hope to welcome you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

From begining to end this hotel did it right.. Super friendly and accomadinting staff. Rooms were large, clean & pleasently decorated. The pool was fun & great pool attendants that catered to your every whim. This is a 2 thumbs up...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MamaHelie
Thank you for your recent visit to Mondrian and for this kind review. We're delighted you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating and our rooms inviting. We hope you will join us again soon.