“Housewives from Long Island”

Mondrian South Beach Hotel
Ranked #40 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Ok, so we aren't the REAL housewives and we all work like dogs, but we are well traveled and looove the good life. And we are picky. I first came to the Mondrian for business, only stayed a night, and swore I would come back as soon as I could for multiple days. That was all because of David Arth who works at the pool. Because of David, I grabbed two of my girlfriends and we were pampered princes for 4 days. I mean, ridiculous. And if you're a guy, you should only be treated half as well as David treats everyone! But then there's the Mojitos, and the food....and because David is not a waiter he didn't serve us but the service and food were spectacular. Clean, clean, clean rooms, incredible service, sunsets extraordinaire (I wonder if David ordered that for us also?) it is like coming home...if you live in luxury and have a staff waiting on you hand and foot in your house. And a David Arth to make sure you have everything you need. Really. I'm coming back, thank-you David!!!!!

Room Tip: Bay view!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Judy,

Thank you for your recent visit. We appreciate, too, your kind review and are delighted you enjoyed your repeated visits to Mondrian, thanks in part to the excellent service you received from David. David is indeed a rock star when it comes to service and is but one in our family of devoted individuals who are dedicated to providing you with an original guest experience.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Ellis

Write a ReviewReviews (3,926)

Reviewed June 25, 2013

PRO's
PRO's

I planned this vacation back in January, way before the NBA final championship was scheduled and, I coincidentally ended up arriving the day of the final game so the place was packed and the atmosphere was electric.

The suite was spacious and had an open floor plan that was welcoming. The staff made sure to care for and anticipate anything we may need.

The valet service was extremely convenient. The staff was courteous and kept up with the massive volume of incoming and outgoing guests. All doors were opened whenever entering or exiting the lobby.

We had breakfast service included in our package. The hours were flexible -- 0700 to 1100 -- so if you wanted to sleep in a little, you could still catch breakfast. There wasn't a great deal of variety, but what they did have was of good quality.

The outdoor pool was clean and, during the evening hours, it was heated. The pool overlooks the view of the Biscayne Bay and the skyline of the city. There's a pool bar and several bungalow's for a more private, small group, personal experience.

CON's

The gym is extremely small, half of the equipment doesn't even work, and the variety of equipment is terrible. I don't expect a HUGE workout room, but I expect the gym to be as functional as any of the other spaces in the hotel -- it was not.

There was a large selection of snacks in the mini-bar. They were extremely overpriced. There are several convenience and liquor store that are within walking distance. So, if you're into drinking while you're there (which I wasn't), save yourself some money and avoid drinking from their mini-bar like you'd avoid the plague.

Lastly, the parking in South Beach is terrible no matter where you go. The valet service is convenient however, there is a parking garage about 2 blocks away that is only 15 bucks a day as opposed to paying 37 dollars per 24 hours using their valet service. That is, of course, unless you just want to be lazy and have plenty of money to blow.

OVERALL

We had a great experience staying there. The location is perfect if you want an upscale, quiet, classy vacation. We booked this through the military's contracted government travel because I'm in the Army, so we got a really good rate. But I will say this -- I've stayed in 5 star accommodations within and outside of the United States and I've gotten more bang for my buck. But what can I say, this is South Beach.

Ngozi

• Stayed: June 2013
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for your recommendation and your recent visit. We're happy you enjoyed your stay, thanks in part to excellent service and superb room accommodations. We hope these bring you back to Mondrian in the future. Alas, parking is very expensive on South Beach as are all hotel minibars. We wish to assure you that our pricing is in line with other hotels in the area.

Thank you again.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The ambiance and the spa's staff at the Mondrian always make you feel at home and welcome. Every time i have ever had a massage i always go back to ROLAND. I highly recommend ROLAND and once you do.... you will also go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Vivian,

Thank you for your recent and repeated visit. We are delighted that Roland made your visit special, he is indeed a superstar and magician with his hands. We look forward to many future visits from you.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

As a travel agent i have been many times in Miami. I strongly recommend Mondrian South beach as your luxury option in Miami. I love this hotel because you fell as if you were in your private residence in South Beach.
All units are large and have a kitchenette wich is a real plus. I choosed a balcony oceanfront studio and I am really happy of this decisión. Views were to die for! I really loved to enjoy a drink (orange campari) looking the gorgeous bay.
Everything is top quality (kitchen utensils from Cuisinart, Malin Goetz bath amenitis,etc)
It is true beach is 7 blocks away but the swimming pool facing the ocean is one of the trendiest i have seen in Miami. It is full of beautiful and trendy people (ladys please bring at least a Vuitton bag and an Hermes if you can and men try to go to the gym before travelling everyone is spendid! Ahhhh during weekends there is a dj playing music alive in the swimming pool área, what else could you ask in the world? Congratulations to Isaac who does a marvellous work bringing towels and ice wáter!
Location is very convenient, you are steps away from everyehere and as many people have said, the hotel location itself is very calm. You have a wholefood supermarket infront of the hotel where you can buy delicious and healthy food.
Thanks a lot to Nancy Lauck who was so sweet and helpfull to every request!
I am a very demanding customer but this time I am completed satisfied, Mondrian South Beach, "the place" to be in Miami
I would like to tell the reader that I am a very demanding customer but

Room Tip: Book an ocean front room with balcony, views are amazing!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NicoDV

Dear Nico,

Thank you for your recent visit to Mondrian and for taking the time to share your amazing experience with us. We are glad you enjoyed our location and stellar service and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel and was very impressed by the boutique hotel feel. Rooms were very nice and modern. Great bed and shower. Easy checkin. Great design and attention to detail. Parking is very pricy, only complaint.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
nancy l, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciate our design aesthetic. Thank you for choosing Mondrian and also for taking the time to post your comments.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at the Mondrian for a week in June 2013, for a mix of business/pleasure, staying in a bay-view studio with balcony for 7 nights.

First up, the problems: when you're in a hotel for a week, you do notice the cracks around the edges. There's the odd scuff and tear in the rooms (612 was mine) and what was once cutting-edge in terms of decor now looks fairly generic. Some things just don't work - the iPod dock in my room, for instance. The staff in general could pay more attention to detail: there were a series of small inconveniences that on their own wouldn't be noticeable, but they accumulate to give an impression of staff who are poorly trained (eg. pool staff promising to bring you towels pool-side, then forgetting until you chase them 15 minutes later; reception staff forgetting to drop important printed tickets off at your room as arranged; bellmen/valet guys who take 20 minutes to get you a cab in the rain then give it to someone else while you wait indoors). These problems aren't caused by being short-staffed or super-busy: quite the opposite. Indeed, if there were fewer staff milling around doing nothing I rather thought it might encourage those left to take some responsibility.

Now, onto the serious problems: NOISE! I will never stay at the Mondrian on a Friday or Saturday again. They're either unable or unwilling to address the serious noise problems they have, and if you're losing 2 nights sleep out of 7 on a work trip that can be pretty annoying. The atmosphere at the pool changed completely during the weekend from relaxed, chilled fun with classy people to vulgar, pretentious wannabes with much bigger mouths than wallets. The noise starts at 8/9am and lasts until at least 7pm (10pm if you're unlucky), which was a real disappointment after enjoying the pool so much earlier in the week. You better hope your room isn't next to those types over the weekend too - guess what, they like the sound of their own voices all night as well! Security were worse than useless at dealing with this, and while the receptionists are polite and apologetic, I did wonder if perhaps I was just hearing a well-rehearsed speech that wouldn't be backed up by action. That said, a resident in the building told me in the elevator that the weekend I was there was "unusually" loud: I'd hope so, given that some of the noise included heckling a Jewish wedding with comments that I regarded as anti-Semetic.

Most disappointing - upon complaining, I was promised faithfully that Nancy-somebody in Guest Relations would "reach out" to me, as I'm a loyal customer of Morgans in other cities as well as Miami. That was 10 days ago, and I'm still waiting Nancy.......... (I've given her opportunity to reach me before posting this online).

Now, the positives: the rooms are huge, and well laid out. This would be a really great destination for a friends' trip away (the studios have 2 beds), and the bathroom is on the small side but very usable. The Malin & Goetz toiletries were great - loved the minty shampoo!

Everything is kept brilliantly clean, and the housekeeping staff aren't invasive as I've found in some other hotels.

You'd be a fool to stay at this hotel and not book a bay-view room. I moved to the W after a week at the Mondrian and had an oceanfront view, and even that didn't compare to the bay view at the Mondrian. There's so much more to look at with a Bay view, including Star Island, downtown etc. The sunsets were out of this world on a clear day!

The pool scene is pretty cool on weekdays, I thought. The area is well-designed and makes great use of the space to offer lots of different zones, and the bar service is prompt and well-executed. They make great Mojitos!

Sunset Lounge is a great little place to spend the evening too, although I understand they're planning to revamp this when they finally launch the Asia de Cuba replacement. Having found out that Asia de Cuba had quit the Mondrian, I didn't bother to eat in their temporary replacement - there are plenty of great places in walking distance to try instead.

The other selling point of the Mondrian for me is the location. I much prefer residential West Avenue to the touristy hotels on Collins. There's Starbucks and Whole Foods on your doorstep, and a cute local bistro called Oliver's that does great Eggs Benedict until mid-afternoon every day so you can have a late, lazy breakfast. Lincoln is only a few minutes walk, and there are lots of stores up and down Alton Road too.

Overall, I would certainly revisit the Mondrian - I'd just make sure to book dates that didn't include holidays or weekends. This place is infinitely more likeable Monday to Friday!

4  Thank ikon12

On behalf of the entire team at Mondrian South Beach, please accept our sincerest apologies for the lack of service/recognition you experienced during your stay. I called you in your room and left a voicemail and in the meantime you must have departed the hotel, so I apologize that I was not able to speak to you directly, and you felt as if I ignored your request to be heard. We take great pride in having guests of your caliber and we deeply regret we were not able to provide you a memorable and thoroughly enjoyable stay. I'm happy to speak with you directly if there is anything more about this stay that you would like to discuss. Please let me know if you have any plans to return to South Beach and if so, please allow us the opportunity to repair the bad impression you left with. We do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future and I will personally attend to every detail of your stay should you choose to return. Again, thanks so much for communicating where we are lacking in providing an outstanding and memorable stay - although it's disappointing to us - it truly helps us improve our service so that's the positive in this regrettable situation.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We used our airline miles to book 3 rooms for 1 night in Oct 2012. We wanted to stay in South Beach before going on a cruise. The Mondrian was great. They had two of the rooms ready for us when we arrived at 11am. Our rooms were clean, one of them had a view over the pool which was nice. We could even see the cruise ships off in the distance. The location was a little bit from where we wanted to go eat on Collins but everything is within walking distance or a cab ride. I walked to Lincoln Mall Road, then back down Collins and the beach with a friend. The picture of the girl's head in the room is a little odd and the bed is a little low to the ground for my liking but other than that we could not complain and look forward to going back again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much. We hope to welcome you back sooner rather than later.