“Very nice”

Ranked #38 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Very nice”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel and was very impressed by the boutique hotel feel. Rooms were very nice and modern. Great bed and shower. Easy checkin. Great design and attention to detail. Parking is very pricy, only complaint.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
nancy l, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciate our design aesthetic. Thank you for choosing Mondrian and also for taking the time to post your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at the Mondrian for a week in June 2013, for a mix of business/pleasure, staying in a bay-view studio with balcony for 7 nights.

First up, the problems: when you're in a hotel for a week, you do notice the cracks around the edges. There's the odd scuff and tear in the rooms (612 was mine) and what was once cutting-edge in terms of decor now looks fairly generic. Some things just don't work - the iPod dock in my room, for instance. The staff in general could pay more attention to detail: there were a series of small inconveniences that on their own wouldn't be noticeable, but they accumulate to give an impression of staff who are poorly trained (eg. pool staff promising to bring you towels pool-side, then forgetting until you chase them 15 minutes later; reception staff forgetting to drop important printed tickets off at your room as arranged; bellmen/valet guys who take 20 minutes to get you a cab in the rain then give it to someone else while you wait indoors). These problems aren't caused by being short-staffed or super-busy: quite the opposite. Indeed, if there were fewer staff milling around doing nothing I rather thought it might encourage those left to take some responsibility.

Now, onto the serious problems: NOISE! I will never stay at the Mondrian on a Friday or Saturday again. They're either unable or unwilling to address the serious noise problems they have, and if you're losing 2 nights sleep out of 7 on a work trip that can be pretty annoying. The atmosphere at the pool changed completely during the weekend from relaxed, chilled fun with classy people to vulgar, pretentious wannabes with much bigger mouths than wallets. The noise starts at 8/9am and lasts until at least 7pm (10pm if you're unlucky), which was a real disappointment after enjoying the pool so much earlier in the week. You better hope your room isn't next to those types over the weekend too - guess what, they like the sound of their own voices all night as well! Security were worse than useless at dealing with this, and while the receptionists are polite and apologetic, I did wonder if perhaps I was just hearing a well-rehearsed speech that wouldn't be backed up by action. That said, a resident in the building told me in the elevator that the weekend I was there was "unusually" loud: I'd hope so, given that some of the noise included heckling a Jewish wedding with comments that I regarded as anti-Semetic.

Most disappointing - upon complaining, I was promised faithfully that Nancy-somebody in Guest Relations would "reach out" to me, as I'm a loyal customer of Morgans in other cities as well as Miami. That was 10 days ago, and I'm still waiting Nancy.......... (I've given her opportunity to reach me before posting this online).

Now, the positives: the rooms are huge, and well laid out. This would be a really great destination for a friends' trip away (the studios have 2 beds), and the bathroom is on the small side but very usable. The Malin & Goetz toiletries were great - loved the minty shampoo!

Everything is kept brilliantly clean, and the housekeeping staff aren't invasive as I've found in some other hotels.

You'd be a fool to stay at this hotel and not book a bay-view room. I moved to the W after a week at the Mondrian and had an oceanfront view, and even that didn't compare to the bay view at the Mondrian. There's so much more to look at with a Bay view, including Star Island, downtown etc. The sunsets were out of this world on a clear day!

The pool scene is pretty cool on weekdays, I thought. The area is well-designed and makes great use of the space to offer lots of different zones, and the bar service is prompt and well-executed. They make great Mojitos!

Sunset Lounge is a great little place to spend the evening too, although I understand they're planning to revamp this when they finally launch the Asia de Cuba replacement. Having found out that Asia de Cuba had quit the Mondrian, I didn't bother to eat in their temporary replacement - there are plenty of great places in walking distance to try instead.

The other selling point of the Mondrian for me is the location. I much prefer residential West Avenue to the touristy hotels on Collins. There's Starbucks and Whole Foods on your doorstep, and a cute local bistro called Oliver's that does great Eggs Benedict until mid-afternoon every day so you can have a late, lazy breakfast. Lincoln is only a few minutes walk, and there are lots of stores up and down Alton Road too.

Overall, I would certainly revisit the Mondrian - I'd just make sure to book dates that didn't include holidays or weekends. This place is infinitely more likeable Monday to Friday!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank ikon12
On behalf of the entire team at Mondrian South Beach, please accept our sincerest apologies for the lack of service/recognition you experienced during your stay. I called you in your room and left a voicemail and in the meantime you must have departed the hotel, so I apologize that I was not able to speak to you directly, and you felt as if I ignored your request to be heard. We take great pride in having guests of your caliber and we deeply regret we were not able to provide you a memorable and thoroughly enjoyable stay. I'm happy to speak with you directly if there is anything more about this stay that you would like to discuss. Please let me know if you have any plans to return to South Beach and if so, please allow us the opportunity to repair the bad impression you left with. We do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future and I will personally attend to every detail of your stay should you choose to return. Again, thanks so much for communicating where we are lacking in providing an outstanding and memorable stay - although it's disappointing to us - it truly helps us improve our service so that's the positive in this regrettable situation.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We used our airline miles to book 3 rooms for 1 night in Oct 2012. We wanted to stay in South Beach before going on a cruise. The Mondrian was great. They had two of the rooms ready for us when we arrived at 11am. Our rooms were clean, one of them had a view over the pool which was nice. We could even see the cruise ships off in the distance. The location was a little bit from where we wanted to go eat on Collins but everything is within walking distance or a cab ride. I walked to Lincoln Mall Road, then back down Collins and the beach with a friend. The picture of the girl's head in the room is a little odd and the bed is a little low to the ground for my liking but other than that we could not complain and look forward to going back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much. We hope to welcome you back sooner rather than later.

New York, NY
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Mondrian for a mini girls weekend getaway and had a wonderful experience at the Mondrian. The location is ideal if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of Collins Ave but close enough to get to by taxi. Location is convenient! A short walk to Whole Foods and Starbucks! The service at the hotel from check in, bartenders and pool concierge was excellent! Special thanks to David our pool concierge who exceeded our expectations! We hung out by the pool for 2 days and he was courteous, pleasant and so attentive. The rooms were spacious and modern. The only improvement that needs to be made is the food by the pool and the breakfast. Not so great for the price that you pay. Overall if you want an easy, peaceful and relaxing trip, stay at the Mondrian!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to Mondrian and for your recommendation. We're delighted your experience was "easy, peaceful and relaxing" thanks in part to the superb service you received from our staff, notably that from David at the Pool. As evidenced by other reviewers, he is indeed a rock star when it comes to service. We are fortunate to have him on our team.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a great hotel - cool, comfortable and unpretentious. And that's rare in Miami. The rooms are very spacious and well equipped - incl. mini kitchen/dining room; the decor is cool & quirky. The whole hotel smells lovely and you get more smelly goodness in the bathroom (Malin & Goetz toiletries - fab!).

We loved the location: on the outside - quiet residential building, close to the fantastic Whole Foods Market, Starbucks, supermarkets etc; yet the party central is only within 10 mins walk (IF you want it).

The pool area is great - we expected it to be small and bare but actually it's perfectly formed - lovely pool, sun beds always available (no matter what time you come, even during peak times/we visited in March, for WMC) and the most welcoming host (David Arth - the guy is a hero, let me tell you no more - you will find out yourselves).

This is practically a perfect hotel. So why not 5 stars? Hmmm:

- as soon as you check out, you're a non-entity. We had an evening flight and stayed in the hotel for 5 hrs after checkout. The reception staff were slow and barely responsive (we had to bring our own bags from the locker room as no one bothered to respond for 10-15 mins after the reception called them). You have to pay to have a shower if you want to refresh ($10). The price is not an issue, the principle is. I haven't encountered a 5* European hotel that charges guests for a shower.

- the beds... for such huge rooms, the beds are very, very small. They really look out of proportion. The cheap, white MDF board frame, with 'Made in China' sticker unashamedly in sight really doesn't help. Sort these out guys! They are embarrassing.

- the rooms need decent mirrors too. The big one in the room is tinted bright orange and you can barely see in it. The one above bathroom sink is sooo dark (and I like dark and moody, but this is just not functional). There is one lovely, big mirror in the shower - but c'mon, who wants to go inside the shower to use the mirror?!

- no wardrobe shelves! Why? People do like to put their clothes on shelves! Like socks and pants and tshirts etc. Lots of hangers won't do. One shelf in the wardrobe also will not.

Other than that - great hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annams2000
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you. We are delighted you enjoyed our room product, location and amenities. We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered and trust these were minimal.

texas
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is cool, as far as the look and Miami feel! My favorite part was the pool area for lounging and sightseeing, bar area for their great drinks, although pricey, and my spacious room...that is until a COCKROACH was found in my room and, nothing was done to accommodate the gross experience! The price, at that time was stellar! Now, what you pay for a night is what we paid for our three nights!
My boyfriend and I stayed there during its inaugural opening, so everything, especially on the outside was clean, white and lovely.
Not right outside the beach, but a short cab ride or nice walk, if you don't mind. I enjoyed the location of the Starbucks across the street and a few other resturant locations. Overall, as long as the place is fumigated; I'd probably suggest this to others.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced last year and trust you, and others, will note our recent reviews commenting on our remarkable service and impeccably clean rooms.

Rome
Reviewed June 13, 2013

South Beach has so many hotel that makes difficult taking a decision when you have to chose one of them. My choice is very easy as I know The Mondrian has got something special. Rooms are exactly as you can see in the picture, clean, fashionable and well maintained. There so many hotels in South Beach that at the beginning are fabulous, but after 3 o 4 years begin to look old and dirty and a so many problem about mantainance. At the Mondrian everything is perfect, white, new, freshly painted. The staff is more than great, they help you in every kind of request, very efficient and professional in solving problems or just in giving you a tip to enjoy Miami at the best. Sandra at the reception and Louis at the concierge made our staying so special that we’ll never forget. This is Mondrian style, this is the way to feel like at home even you are 12 hours flight far away.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a bay view, sunset is unbelievable