“Gorgeous Hotel, almost perfect.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mondrian South Beach Hotel

Mondrian South Beach Hotel
Ranked #24 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Gorgeous Hotel, almost perfect.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ahhh, South Beach! And South Beach hotels... it's so hard to choose! I spent countless hours researching between the prices, locations and amenities. I chose the bay side rather than SoBe beach front because the Mondrian website talked me into it. Ha. My boyfriend and I were headed to SoBe for his birthday and to celebrate the end of a busy summer in terms of work load. The Mondrian looked like the perfect posh escape.

Things that I enjoyed:
- The Mondrian is gorgeous. The lobby, the bar, the restaurant, and the pool is absolutely beautiful. Sunsets are unparalleled from the pool / bay side room. It was breathtaking. It's very euro / trendy, I loved it.
- Our bedroom (we got a one bedroom suite) was amazing. There are track lighting all over the suite and it gave an appealing seductive vibe to the entire place. I loved our room, so much closet space, huge windows, comfy bed, vanity area, trendy wallpaper. I could have stayed in just our bedroom forever! The balcony from the living room area overlooked the bay and downtown Miami. I was torn between paying less for a east view, but now am so glad I spent the extra to get a west facing room. So beautiful.
- The vibe was perfect. I'm 30 years old and my boyfriend was turning 31. We love to drink and go out, but are not obnoxious in our room partying noisily. Everyone was around our age in the hotel, it was a sophisticated trendy group.
- The service was good, our bell boy gave us a tour of the room which was a great introduction to the Mondrian. There were always helpful staff on site by the pool for towels, as well.
- The bar downstairs, tucked on the north side of the pool had a great happy hour with delicious drinks and food. Yum. Friendly bartenders, too.
- The location. It's not in the heart and heat of SoBe, but rather a quaint neighborhood with unique restaurants, shopping and Whole Foods. I loved the location and felt like I saw more of South Beach because we biked everywhere (rental bikes are directly across the street from the hotel).
- They have partner hotels on South Beach where you can rent chairs and towels for free. Nice perk and a good change of pace from the pool.

Things that I did not enjoy:
- They pushed an upgrade on us, and we bit. It's our fault but they promised us a penthouse level upgrade, and ultimately the penthouse is the exact same room as any other suite, only on the highest level. Granted, the room / balcony / view was still gorgeous, but I expected the room to be a bit nicer than the rest of the hotel. You're definitely going to pay for this room!
- Internet. Terrible, terrible experience with this. We receive free internet with our purchase (online deal) and it took me four calls to the front desk and a tech person to get it set up. Finally they just gave me an online code (why didn't this happen the first time I called?). It was a cluster and very frustrating to deal with after a long day of traveling. I had to have internet due to work obligations. Once we were set up the actual internet connection was so slow and sometimes didn't work, it was basically worthless to us. We ended up leaving once a day to check our work at a bar with wifi (happy hour and work = actually a great combination). They could use some serious improvements in this arena. It left a bad taste in my mouth since I was dealing with it for over 40 minutes upon arrival.
- The living room decor. Yikes. It was supposed to be minimal and trendy but the living room couch was torn and looked like something that belonged in my grandmother's basement in the 70s. Everything else in the room was gorgeous but that, which sorely stood out. Spend the extra $ and repair a ripped couch or better yet get new living room decor.
- I read a review at some point that they have free bike rentals. Not true, you have to rent bikes and pay for them.
- Bites. I hate to wrongfully accuse, but on the last day I left on the last day with bites up and down my legs, side and arms. It was horrid. I was out biking and enjoying the outdoors every day and evening, so perhaps it was mosquito bites... but with the bed bug epidemic, I was paranoid and scared I had buggers in my luggage. We went straight from Miami to my parents house. I played it safe and dried EVERYTHING before unpacking, which was a pain in the butt. The bites lasted for days, and were uncomfortable. I emailed that week to tell them about it and they shut me down immediately, saying they take bed bugs seriously and are proactive. It felt like a standardized response. I responded, please check out this exact room for the sake of future guests. They immediately replied that they did and it was cleared... so, it is what it is. Hopefully they don't have bed bugs, but whatever it was that bit me was unpleasant and drying all of my clothes was annoying.

All in all, I loved the Mondrian. We paid quite a bit for our upgrade, in the future I would just pay for the bay side one bedroom suite, not a penthouse suite. I loved the decor and the vibe, and would stay there again. I can't stress enough about the sunsets by the pool. I'll be back at some point! And hopefully next time they'll have better internet and free bike rentals ;)

Room Tip: The bay view is worth the upgrade; gorgeous sunsets. The penthouse level wasn't different from...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank daysiees
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit and for posting this review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, thanks in part to the excellent service you received from our staff as well as our design. We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the Internet connection. We again wish to assure you that we are bed bug free. We inspected your room after you alerted us to your bites and the results were negative. Our staff is well trained in this matter and we regularly inspect our rooms.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ellis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Me and my husband first visited the hotel oct 2010 and due to the Mondrian exceeding all our expectations we decided to visit exactly 2 years later but this time with our first child. No surprises, the Mondrian didn't fail to impress us in every way possible. Staff were very attentive esp louis at the concierge. We told him we were back at the hotel for our 3rd year wedding anniversary and he offered me a complimentary Swedish massage. A very nice gesture. Patricia at reception also upgraded our room to a penthouse which was awesome. The staff at breakfast were always helpful, even took the time out to speak to my little boy which he loved. Overall this hotel still has the funky factor and the poolside area is magical not to mention the breathtaking views. The plus side was that my son felt at home at this hotel which made us feel at ease. Me and my family wish we could have stayed at the Mondrian a lot longer. That is a clear sign to a wonderful hotel. We couldnt thank you enough for yet another pleasant stay. No doubt we will be back. Sarah

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your kind review and your recent and repeated visits. We're delighted you and your family felt at home with us, thanks in part to the friendly and personable service you received from our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Good luck finding the place. Nice valet staff. Very cold, uber-aloof lobby and front desk. Dark hallways. After waking up 2 mornings with this poster sized young girl in heavy make-up staring at me I was thrilled to leave. Starke's strange idea of comfort without as much as a comfortable chair was anything but inviting. Had we not gotten a balcony to give us some breathing room we would have left. On the bright side, the pool area is lovely overlooking the bay. The bay view from the balcony is very soothing and worth requesting.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit. While we are glad you enjoyed our pool and amazing view, we are sorry that you were not receptive to Marcel Wanders' design elements, especially the whimsical Super Hero girl who is in your room to protect you. We are most taken aback, however, that you were not welcomed by a friendly staff member at our front desk; as evidenced from the many recent reviews your experience was the exception rather than the rule and the matter has been addressed appropriately.

Thank you again.

Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

There is absolutely nothing bad that can be said about this hotel. From arrival, the valet was efficient, the check-in staff incredibly friendly. We were incredibly fortunate to receive a complimentary upgrade and had a room on a high view with a spectacular view of the bay. The rooms are big, comfortable and quirky. The balconies look out at the Miami skyline which is absolutely stunning. Room service was good, pool service was great and the mojitos were delicious! We really enjoyed our afternoon on the pool deck drinking cocktails. Lincoln road is a short walk or $5 cab ride away and the hotel is ideally located for getting anywhere in Downtown or South Beach. The concierge helped us make dinner reservations and the dinner was fabulous. There are convenience stores near by including a 7-eleven if you need anything. All in all we had a fabulous stay. Probably not a place for people wanted to spend time on the beach as it's on the bayside end of South Beach but for anyone looking for sophisticated, modern luxury, a good place to go from to party and eat, it's absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a good view
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for sharing your amazing experience with us. We're pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed our room and location. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I'm late on reviewing this hotel but I stayed twice, once in 2010 and again in 2011. If you are looking to be spoiled/pampered and have a chic South Beach experience without the touristy feel, stay here. It's pricier than most places "on the strip" but worth it. The bay view is amazing and makes you feel secluded from the craziness of Ocean Drive which is refreshing. The pool staff are hands down the nicest and most accommodating staff I've ever encountered. Drinks are cultured and excellent with fresh ingredients and a heavy pour ;) The sunsets you can see from your balcony or the pool area are BREATHTAKING. Being outside by the pool feels like you're in a dream. It's expensive to eat and drink but overall I wouldn't suggest coming here, or to Miami for that matter if you're trying to plan a trip and be frugal. Valet service is great and prompt, the rooms are clean, trendy and the beds are soooo comfortable. They provide you with a nice bath robe during your stay and the rooms have plenty of mirrors for getting ready. I loved that they have a vanity you can sit at also. There's a jet ski place right outside of the pool area if you want to cruise around in the bay for a while (very fun). I will continue to choose this hotel every time I come to South Beach! You're not too far away from all of the "action" but far enough away that you can feel relaxed and not rushed when you step out of your hotel.

Room Tip: Bay side is the best but the street/beach side is nice too.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much. We love all the feedback we get but especially appreciate hearing from our fans. We're glad you found a home here on West Avenue with all the plusses we have to offer--amazing sunset views over Biscayne Bay, a neighborhood setting close to locals hangouts but near enough to the hot South Beach spots, plus of course our world class service especially at the pool. We look forward to your next visit soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Maintains a true South Beach feel but serves it mixed with a more sophisticated and international flair. Staff was incredibly pleasant and eager to please their guests. Rooms stylishly appointed, very spacious and sprinkled with eclectic and special twists. More spontaneous cool than most South Beach hotels. We spent some time at the W in South Beach which, while a beautiful space, was overrun by people cashing in their Starwood points, and the two restos were way overpriced for very mediocre food. We couldn't wait to get back to the Mondrian! All aspects of our stay at the Mondrian were fabulous.

Room Tip: The view of downtown Miami overlooking the bay is stunning. A balcony is a must…billowing white she...
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you. We're glad you enjoyed our vibe and top notch service. At 525 square feet our entry level Studios are quite spacious; our Suites have even more room to unwind in fabulous Mondrian style. We look forward to your next visit soon.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

There's no doubting that this is a great, impeccably stylish hotel but don't come here if you're anticipating peace and quiet (arguably that is true of Miami in general!) On our first night people came back in at 4am and kept the party going for a few more hourse: usually we would be annoyed but when you consider what the Mondrian is like and who it is clearly designed for we realised that we were the ones who were probably in the wrong place.
The rooms are very slickly done and actually pretty spacious for Miami. Only half of the bay view rooms have balconies so try and request one of those. Stay clear of rooms ending 06 if you can: you get a bit more space but it is right by the lift/ice machine so you get lots of noise from the corridor. Service was actually very good and helpful, in room wifi was quick (and free) and the pool area looked a great place to lounge off a hangover.
Location is interesting, a short walk to Lincoln Road mall and to South Beach: if you're looking to spend all of your time on the sand you'd be better off staying on Ocean or Collins but this was good for South Beach, Lincoln and downtown, with great bay views.
All in all a great choice if you don't want to stay in a South Beach shoebox but are ready to get dressed up and party hard (and we were also lucky to get a great deal on booking.com). If your tastes are a little more sedate however this may not be the place for you...

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms ending 06 as you get a lot of corridor noise.
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your recent visit to Mondrian and for sharing your experience with us. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay, thanks in part to spacious rooms and helpful service. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.