Overall – I would definitely return and recommend, but not for everyone. We are locals to South Florida and enjoy the short drive into Miami for long weekends. I didn’t want the loud and crowded party scene this weekend, instead opting for a relaxed, low key but active weekend. Unless there is a special event or party planned, then Mondrian is usually not a loud, party, crowded and clubby hotel like some of the other bigger places.
HOTEL – Décor is obviously unique, modern, trendy and in my opinion charming. Service was fantastic from the valet, check in, fast room service, lobby and pool bar, etc. The hotel was busy, but not super crowded, which is what we were looking for. Has a smaller boutique hotel feel, not a huge resort. The lobby bar area was comfortable, but not a huge party scene. Again, this is what we wanted. Friday was quiet, and Saturday was a little more lively, but again, if you want a very lively, club-like scene or place to dance, then you’ll want to explore elsewhere at night.
VALET - $$$$$ Like all of the Miami Beach hotels, Valet is robbery at $37 a day. Not including tip. Trust me with this - If you don’t plan on leaving the Miami Beach area (i.e drive up to Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach or the Everglades, etc) then don’t bother renting a car at the airport!! Take a taxi to the hotel and out during the day/night. You’ll spend a fortune on valets everywhere you go or drive yourself nuts looking for parking.
GYM - The gym is modern with a decent selection of cardio and weight equipment. Can’t beat the view of the bay and skyline from the treadmills. I didn’t visit the Spa, but have heard numerous wonderful reviews.
POOL - Loved the pool area. The set up is very charming and picturesque with numerous seating areas, including a section of “beach” chairs in a huge sandbox. Loved the cabana “caves”. The service at the pool bar and eating outside was fantastic. On Friday afternoon, we spent a few hours poolside and it was so relaxing and peaceful. However, it can get more active and lively on weekends.
LOCATION – I was not looking for beach swimming or tanning on this trip, hence the 10-15 minute walk to the beach was not an issue for me. In my opinion, this location is fantastic! Walk to shopping and dining. Ten minute walk to beach or Washington or Collins shopping, another 15-20 minute walk or 5-10 minute bike ride to Lincoln. Loved the amazing bay views, especially at night when the skyline is beautiful.
I LOVE the DecoBike system! There are self-service stations all over Miami Beach, including several around the hotel. Rent a bike and explore all over Miami Beach. I highly recommend downloading the DecoBike app to your phone… it will tell you the closest stations to your location to drop off/pick up bikes, including availability. Another tip – even though there are a ton of DecoBike stations for you to check bikes in/out, bring or buy a bike lock. Much easier when you want to run in a store and don’t want to look for a station – just chain your bike up in front. However, since you can’t take DecoBikes over the bridges, we spent a day renting hybrid bikes from Bike and Roll shop. We rode over the Venetian bridge (very pretty), over to Bayside and then down Brickell to Vizcaya. Long ride, but so nice. We rode back from Vizcaya to their other location in Bayside and dropped the bikes there instead of back to Miami Beach origination. Grabbed a taxi back to the hotel.
ROOM – We selected a room facing east (not the bayside view, instead a city/ocean side view). Being on a high floor we had nice views, however, the lower floors wouldn’t be that nice of a view. I intentionally selected this side of the hotel instead of overlooking the pool/bay, as I’ve read other reviews that when they have pool events, parties or DJ’s on the weekends it can get very loud. The room itself is spacious, modern, comfortable and very functional. Dramatic bathrooms (loved the shower!), small but very functional kitchenette, and comfortable queen size bed. Room was very clean and comfortable. As others have mentioned, the hotel food price is outrageous ($80 for eggs, OJ and coffee for breakfast – and that does not include any blood mary’s or champagne!). DEFINITELY walk across the street to Whole Foods and stock up your kitchenette and small fridge with drinks and snacks. There is a very small two burner cook top, microwave and coffee maker in the room for simple cooking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on newly-fashionable West Avenue, Mondrian is a quiet enclave just minutes from the bustling center of South Beach, offering spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean, Biscayne Bay and downtown Miami. The visionary style of designer Marcel Wanders is apparent from the moment you pull into the porte-cochere: guests walk through a grand entryway appointed with custom-designed furniture, lighting and accent pieces, evoking Wanders' design homage of "Sleeping Beauty's Castle." Upon entering the soaring lobby, the floor-to-ceiling windows offer stunning views of Biscayne Bay. Immediately the eye is drawn to the masterpiece of the room–an iconic, signature "floating staircase." Black and gold patterned furnishings and oversized brass bell shaped lights add a touch of whimsy and welcome guests to sit and socialize or enjoy the view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Mondrian South Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mondrian South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Mondrian Miami Beach
- Mondrian Miami Hotel Beach