“W = WOW”

Ranked #11 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Cincinnati, Ohio
“W = WOW”
Reviewed June 17, 2010

The W South Beach is a fantastic hotel. The staff was amazing and the property is beautiful and very well designed. Everyone I dealt with was attentive and friendly and the amenities are through the roof. The rooms, staff, and design of the hotel are top notch. I will stay here every time I am Miami.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I was in Miami for my birthday and bachelorette party. My friends and I reserved two Oasis Suites - absolutely beautiful and very roomy. We loved the property and the amenities. The pools and grounds are just gorgeous, and I felt like I was in paradise. However, be warned - the service was appalling. Although they were friendly at check-in and check-out, we rarely experienced good service during our stay. Maria at the pool was delightful, and the food there is better than expected, but that's about it. Nearly all W employees we came across were condescending and rude - the concierge, the day bed manager, housekeeping, etc. Like we weren't "worthy" to be staying there. Also, the security at the pool treated us like we were trying to sneak in - even though we were paying guests and had the proper amount of people in our rooms. I always thought that Starwood Hotels had excellent customer service, but maybe being "too cool" is the W South Beach's schtick. It isn't good customer service, and I would not return. There are plenty of other pretty, trendy hotels in South Beach.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mollyjane6
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2010

My wife and I chose W South Beach to spend our honeymoon. Terrible choice. The housekeeping service kept coming in the room at 8am, sometimes even breaking open the door without knocking. On the Saturday of our stay, there was some kind of party on our floor with drunken kids. They were banging doors and making noise until 4:30am. We couldn't sleep. I tried calling the W "whenever whatever" service but they did not seem to solve the problem. I reported all that when checking out and management said they were aware of the issue and they would credit me 2,000 extra SPG points for the missed night of sleep, which, of course, they never did. On top of that, today I learned they charged my credit card 10 days after I left with a "umbrella rental"... I never saw an umbrella there. UNBELIEVABLE... "WheNEVER more NEVER more, my wish is to stay away"

3 Thank smart_travellers_BR
Kentucky
Reviewed June 13, 2010

W's can be hit or miss - this is a home run if ever there was one. Phenomenal experience from check-in through check-out.

Located ocean front on Collins next to the Setai it is only a few blocks from Lincoln Road.

Rooms are spotless and huge. The lobby features some nice Andy Warhol art. Wonderful nooks and crannies to meet in and relax, people watch, linger...explore it and decide where you will settle.

Solea served a nice lunch - great service. You need a plate of heirloom tomatoes instead of items on the menu - no problem - you need to know the ingredients in a menu item - the kitchen staff comes out to discuss your needs and tastes! The Living Room bar - great food and service. Bar tender was pleasant, efficient, and great to come back to. Gym is clean and spacious. Equipment like new. (Note - the afternoon workouts are warm due to the expansive glass enclosed street view. UGH! work on improving that please)

Staff - friendly, helpful - you ask they deliver! Kudos to the desk team and the visiting team from the Diplomat, the security, the beach chair guys, the LR bar staff, the wait staff in Solea!!!! And the housekeeping staff knock themselves out to keep your room looking fresh and loaded up with Bliss products. Great turn down service with room refresh in the evening.

At night - WOW! this place is ultra chic with a dash of celeb mixed in. You're a guest? You're in luck. Very fun overall. The W is a hot spot which picks up around 11pm. When we returned late - we found a line to get in - thankfully guests are checked in efficiently by the super security team.

The rooms. My first thought was Vegas spacious and amenities on the beach! At over 600 feet, the Spectacular room is just that. Get a room on the "even" side if you can - nicer ocean view (no buildings occluding view). Beautiful bathroom, with a large, multi-head shower, separate WC, double sink. Loved it all. Bedding was great. Room was a luxe home away from home. Definitely made the business experience better!!

Mini bar area with microwave, chic dishware and utensils, loaded up with great drinks refrigerator and small sink.

Street Noise - well it's SoBe and it's loud - no matter where you. If you have your patio door closed - the noise is blocked.

Room Service - best ordering experience followed by wonderful food!!!

Beach service is great. Pool areas offer a couple options as well as a sun area only. Pool area comes off as smallish but for SoBe this space is a wonderful retreat.

Bliss Spa - from a design perspective - just beautiful. Staff were great. But, please, oh please Bliss designer get a reality check on what a pedicure chair / area should be like - if you're not sure go get both at another high end spa - Encore or hmm the place down the street from your house - climbing in and out of that set-up is crazy - no massage soak - really? For $70++ I stick my feet in tiny bowl?

A side note - a service charge is standard it seems here on pretty much anything and everything. But this doesn't compromise the level of service which is great and made the fee much more acceptable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank HOBY_1986
washington, dc
Reviewed June 13, 2010

This place is so incredible on so many levels that I won't even bother going into details, just to say almost every detail is outstanding except for one: concierge service is not so great. I wouldn't mind because I'm more than capable of researching my own info. However, internet in your room is a nasty extra charge which I refuse to pay on principle, which means you can sit in the lobby & do your toursim, transportation & restaurant research for free, but which is not convenient. I want to do my research at leisure, sitting in my bathrobe in my room while I'm getting ready to go out for the day, or getting ready to go out at night - you get the picture, right? Also, there is no wifi in the pool area which stinks. So in summary, fabulous hotel in every way, but if you want info on local sights, dining, etc. either just pay the daily wifi fee & do your own research, or do it before you leave home & take printouts with you. Also one other comment, pool scene was quiet & mellow, not the almost nightclub atmosphere of some SoBe hotel scenes. Few children & those few were quiet & well behaved. Thank god.

Miami
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I'm a local resident but my husband and I like to do little getaways at various hotels on the beach. Most of the nice hotels in South Beach (and even farther north) act like they are doing you a favor by even speaking to you. The rooms are typically small and sterile and the service is awful. The W and Fontainebleau are the exception but the FB is a huge, cruise-ship style mega resort with lots of kids.

The W is just what South Beach needs. The service is fantastic. They actually listen to you, respond to your needs and seem to care. The beach service (food and cocktails) was fantastic - good quality, speedy, friendly waiters). The beach chairs are large and comfy with nice towels (and complimentary). The pool is small but plenty of chairs. Yes, it's a little cramped but it still feels elite, luxurious and relaxing.

Even the partial ocean view rooms have large balconies with great views of the beach and ocean.The bed isn't the most comforatable in the world (compared to the Ritz beds or even the Westin Heavenly Bed) but it's fine. The bathrooms are nice - spacious, good water pressure, nice amenities. The rooms still feel new. Very clean and modern yet not too minimlaist like the Shore Club.

We enjoyed our stay and can't wait to return. This is now our favorite hotel in Miami.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We just came home from a weekend trip to the W South Beach. We stayed in an Oasis Suite which was outstanding. The room was ready when we checked in at 4:30pm of Friday and we were given a late checkout of 1:00pm on Sunday. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The concierge arranged a car and driver to take us to Ft. Lauderdale Saturday night for the James Taylor/ Carol King concert. The driver was extremely nice and having him drop us and pick us up was key - the place was a traffic zoo. Additionally, we dined in the hotel and made good use of the bars. Everyone was very attentive and friendly.
Our room was on the ninth floor on the south side of the building. We had about 1200 s.f. and 2 balconies. We had a bedroom, 1 1/2 baths, a living room, dining room, media room and kitchen. It was decorated like George Jetson's and we loved it and felt right at home. As others have said - the balconies are not exactly private - the next balcony over can lean out and look if they want to. I did not find this to be a problem at all.
The W is at the north end of South Beach and it is a long walk down to Lincoln Road or Ocean Drive. But it is a very inexpensive taxi ride and if the weather is okay the beach walk (which is between the beach and the hotels) is a great walk.
We would definitely stay at the W again!