“Loved, loved, loved it.”
Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #12 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Philadelphia PA
“Loved, loved, loved it.”
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Spent a week at the W in early March for a conference. The hotel is trendy, cool, comfortable and fun. The food is excellent and the service is superb. I expected the hotel staff to be a bit stand-offish, but their friendliness actually prompted me to write a letter of praise to the hotel's manager...something that I've never done before. I'll definitely come back to play.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 26, 2010

There are a lot of high and low points to the W South Beach location. When traveling to the only 5 star hotel in the area my expectations are always high. Unfortunately, not all of these expectations were met.

Upon arrival our front desk person Daniel was very kind and helpful and there was no delay checking in at all. When we got to our room overlooking the Days Inn, I was appalled at the street noise level. Thankfully the patio doors seemed to help drown that out considerably. The room seemed clean until you made the mistake of wiping your hand on the counter at the minibar-Yuck. Also, there was a rotten grape under my side of the bed that I managed to step on and squash-double yuck.

The housekeeping problems continued the next day when we were out of shampoo and body gel and none was ever replaced. Ridiculous!

The highest point of our entire stay was Joshua who tends bar at the living room. He was truly an artist! He was pleasant , incredibly knowledgeable and attentive. If the entire hotel was like Josh we would have fallen in love, alas-it was not. Previous comments about the pool chaise lounges are continuing and I think something needs to be done about it if you are charging $700 a night. Either you are luxury hotel or you aren't, but they can't seem to decide here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank sammysmom2311
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2010

W South Beach is a refreshing change from the likes of the Shore Club / Delano etc. I wouldnt say better - just different. Beautifully decorated - it is sleek and cool... and sexy. Service was very good. Rooms are beautiful... Great Views of the beach. My only complaint with 'trendy' hotels is that often staff members have 'attitude problems'. Thankfully at the W only a couple of people fit into that category. Ate at MR. CHOW - Awesome (but expensive - $600 for 4 people) Random comment - The Pool chairs / Cabanas all of which are wooden already are starting to look old and worn.....?? Overall - Go for it. FABULOUS South Beach experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Midland Park, New Jersey
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I just returned from a long weekend at the W South Beach with 5 of my girlfriends. What an amazing place! We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite that was truly unbelievable with 2 huge bathrooms, a media room, 3 terraces and a media room. We were on the 17th floor and had great views with literally no noise from the bar or street below. We are 36 so I was a little nervous about the "Scene" at the W but we had a great time and never felt like people were snooty or pretentious. There were a few families at the hotel but it seemed to be mostly couples or groups of friends.

The pool was so gorgeous and the food, drinks and service were excellent. The burger at the pool was worth every penny as was the Watermelon Aqua Fresca, a sweet drink made with water, sugar and big chunks of watermelon - yumm. As another reviewer mentioned, you definitely need to grab lounges at the pool before 10am or they're gone. They do have another smaller pool where we ended up one day and it was fine for laying out but that pool's not heated. The beach was also nice with comfortable chairs for free and umbrellas for $15, cabanas for $30.

The service in general at the hotel was very accomodating however we were promised a late check out (4pm) but were advised the night before that they could not honor it. My only other complaint was that they do not offer free wireless in the rooms and they charge you $5.95 per 15 minutes to use the computers in their "Wired" room. We paid $1,600 a night for a suite and to not offer free internet is just silly. I stayed at a Holiday Inn a few weeks ago that offered computer service for free! For that reason alone, I gave 4 stars instead of 5!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank ejh259
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 16, 2010

The W on South Beach is a reflection of its surroundings - it's beautiful, buzzing with energy, trendy, sheik, and just over the top. It feels like there's always a party happening and if you're in Miami for a wild and crazy night followed by some sun at the pool/beach. This is a great spot. It's not quiet and it's not cheep, but it's an experience.

We enjoyed the (relatively) low key Living Room Bar on the first floor and the excellent set up at the beach and the pool. It was a great way to experience Miami. We’re not really “night club” people so the seemingly constant dance music was a bit much, but we just considered it part of South Beach way of life.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed April 16, 2010

First of all, I should note that I am a platinum Starwood member. I've stayed at W's and Westins around the world and this is hands down the worst one that I've stayed at. The service was horrible and the staff was indifferent to my issues. When we checked in (at 2AM due to flight delays), the front desk agent ignored us for 20 minutes while he stared at his computer. When we ordered food at the pool it took over one hour to get food. A simple drink at the pool costed $16. We had prostitutes that propositioned us at the hotel bar in the evening. To top it all off, we were paying $750/night/room. The list goes on. If you are looking for a classy hotel with great nightlife stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank sampat1
Rolling Hills, CA
Reviewed April 10, 2010

My family and I enjoyed our five night stay for leisure. We would go back, since we go every year to watch the Key Biscayne Sony Open (pro tennis). We have five young children (<10) and a nanny and got two rooms. The hotel was sold out so no SPG platinum room upgrades. Didn't rec my 500pt amenity either. I didn't mind my standard room on the 16th floor (even number). Spacious enough and facing the entrance, a south beach view, downtown Miami, two ground parking lots and a Days Inn. Couldn't complain about the noise (nite club scene Thurs-Sat nites), but always travel w/a sound machine. Neighbor blasted bass pounding music all nite. Called staff numerous times to handle it and they did.
Staff was friendly and attentive. While waiting for elevator up after pool, Cameron Diaz checked in and got escorted to her suite. Other than that special attention (rightfully deserved), I felt the service was equally divided betw. its hotel guests. Enjoyed the pool (get up early to reserve lounges 7-8am) and you need to be on your lounges after breakfast by 930 or they'll be given away. Great burgers, kids food, and ham/ch sandwich. Drinks $15. Beach was nice too. Niteclub was amusing w/the scene. Drink price expectedly high there too. Kardashian family at Mr Chows and lots of Ferraris parked in front. Entertaining scene to watch. Nice location in South Beach. Recommend Prime Italian (street level of Hilton Hotel) at 101 Ocean Dr. Nice Italian and same steaks as Prime One Twelve across the street. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family