“Maybe one of the Top Hotels on this Planet?”
Review of W South Beach

Reviewed August 4, 2009

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Endeavor212
Reviewed August 3, 2009

My husband and I vacationed at the W South Beach for 8 days last week to celebrate our anniversary. We booked a Mega Suite which included 2 ocean front balconies, a plunge pool, an indoor kitchenette, an outdoor grill, a walk in three head shower, and 3 flat screen TV’s with a Bose sound system DVD/stereo. All this located just a short cab ride from Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive, and for less than $500/night!
The property is gorgeous. The lobby, the bars, the pool area and the beach are all stunning. We could sit on a balcony and view the beach and ocean all day rain or shine; even the evening thunderstorms were like watching a movie.
BUT….
The property has been open for approximately a month, and it has some issues that need to be resolved before this property matches the hype that it has so successfully marketed.
Security: Let me be clear, at no time did I feel unsafe, however, on two occasions engineering personnel showed up and entered our room unannounced to fix a plunge pool problem (once while we were in it), and on one of the occasions they left the second unit door open after leaving! I’ll qualify this a bit by explaining that the unit is a duplex with two access doors, one upstairs, and one downstairs; so if you’re on the ground floor it’s entirely possible not to know someone enterers your unit. The floors are separated by locking sliding glass doors at the top of a spiral stair, so it was cool, but the second floor deck is extremely private and let’s just say clothing was optional, so it could have made for an embarrassing situation. Secondly, I noticed some strange activity on the part of the staff. On two occasions I saw housekeeping employees lounging on the patio furniture of other units, in one instance they were smoking. I was like WTF! All I know is that I’d be pissed if I received a cleaning bill because some one thought I was smoking in my room.
Service: The W’s catch phrase is whatever whenever. Well, my husband and I think they really meant to say whatever, whenever we get around to it. To be fair, we generally got everything we requested taken care of, but we also did a lot of waiting. We weren’t able to check in on our Friday arrival until almost 5pm after waiting for about 2 hours, and we weren’t the only ones. There seemed to be a bit of a deer in the headlights type vibe coming from the welcome desk on Friday because it is by far their most busy day. I’m assuming the housekeeping staff and the smoking breaks are slowing down the unit availability.
Room details instructions and quality: As I mentioned, the property is brand new, and has all sorts of bells and whistles including the Bose system, the electric outdoor grill and the Wolf glass top stove. The stove had a lock function with no instructions on how to turn it on. The grill is electric and had an automatic shut off at a certain temperature, and the Bose system / DVD came with 2 remotes. Unfortunately, we had to call engineering to provide an overview of the operations of these items. Lastly, I thought the outdoor furniture and fixtures would not fare well in the Miami climate as some of the railings were already rusting and the wooden furniture appeared to be weathered.
These issues in my opinion are all minor. I assume that once management is made aware of these problems, they will be addressed. Overall, the property is very nice, as SPG Gold members we would consider staying at the W again but probably not for 8 days; maybe a long weekend.

1  Thank BostonBeachTraveler
Reviewed August 2, 2009

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Seven_Continents
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I am in the lobby of the hotel using the free Wi-Fi service as I am writing this, waiting to depart for my return flight home. Just as a disclaimer before I complete this review, I pre-paid for a Spectacular studio with full ocean view prior to coming on this trip. I was fortunate enough to get the W's buy 2 nights get one free special. I was pleasantly surprised upon check in when the receptionist told me I had been upgraded (she mentioned something about me being a starwood member, of which I wasn't aware) to their Oasis suite. But I couldn't have been more amazed when I walked into this "suite" and saw how amazing it was. So I am a little biased because I received a free upgrade to an amazing suite.

THE GOOD
The Suite was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL...from the nine foot tall shell chandlier to the fully marbled bathroom. I could go on and on about the details, but suffice it to say the W paid attention to many architectural and interior design details throughout the hotel. The design is quite art deco/neuvo..so if you are into traditional furnishings and opulence you may not particularily care for the style of the hotel but you cannot deny that this place is a first rate act.
The pool area is beautifully decorated, surround sound speakers playing relaxing music while you lounge. There is a seamless integration of the captivating music as you walk from the pool area to the lounge/lobby area..it really adds a unique experience to your stay. The beach is only a few steps from the pool, where you will be set up with lounge chairs and towels, a beach umbrella can be supplied for a $16 fee. There is beachside and poolside food/drink service! Absolutely lovely!
Overall, the service was excellent. The W really tries to accomodate your every wish, going out of their way to make sure you are well taken care of. For example, I called the "wherever, whatever" desk from my room, asked for recommendations of inexpensive restaurants, and they provided me with 3 recommendations. Then offered to print out copies of the menus and have them sent to my room. I received bar service while sitting in their lobby/lounge! I could go on and on about the service.
The location is not great if you want to be in the center of all the commotion going on in SoBe, but it really isn't that far either. I would say it is approximately 20 blocks north of the start of the busier spot on ocean drive (along the beach), but its only around 5 blocks from Lincoln Drive which is supposedly known for is shopping and restaurants. All of this is walkable but it is a bit of a walk to ocean drive, not suggested to do this if you are a woman wearing heels. A cab ride to central ocean drive was around $10. Parking is horrible there so I wouldn't want to drive there anyway.

THE BAD
Overall, my experience at the W was so good it would be just nitpicky to give you negative remarks...but I know there are some nitpicky people out there. So here we go with the nitpicking
YOU WILL PAY TOP DOLLAR to eat or drink at this hotel. My first night I had a dinner by myself, and my bill was $90 for two appetizers, a side, and two cocktails. For every meal/drink/everything..you will pay approx. 20% gratuity, a florida tax and a local tax. Another example was every cocktail cost me about 20 bucks. Needless to say I didn't have too many cocktails.
Parking is mandatory valet, approx. $35 per night ( before taxes). I asked twice about less expensive parking in the area, and got some general statements about having a difficult time finding free/cheap street parking,.After driving around I found a lot RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET for $15 for a 24 hour period. I was a little annoyed at that.
There were several times when I needed some service like detergent in my room , or help with dinner reservations where they took a long time to get back to me (45 minutes is long to me).
My room was along the northeast side of the building, close to the lounge/pool area. Late at night I could hear music pumping but it didn't seem to bother me too much. I could see how some people would get annoyed however.
As far as construction, there were two mornings where I heard the tapping of a hammer, but it seemed like whoever was doing it was trying very hard to keep the noise down....it really didn't bother me. I just wondered why they would feel the need to do that at 9 AM in the morning.
Ummmm, let's see, also my scale wasn't working , the toilet became sluggish, they provided a robe but no slippers,and the dishwasher was leaking in my room. But hey, thats not such a big deal, when compared to the overall attempt that the W made to make my stay a good one.

In a nutshell, the W is glamorours, trendy, expensive, but well worth it. The location is perfect for wanting access to the excitement of south beach without being in the center of the craziness. I am looking forward to my next trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Isuss
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I recently spent my 12 years wedding anniversary at W South Beach. Thanks to Ms WLF I was upgraded to a Mega Suite on a Sold out week-end , let me repeat an upgrade to one of the best room in South Florida on a sold out week-end . We had the opportunity to attend two Fashion shows , and the Mega suite comes with a private pool, private grill , two ocean front balcony, outdoor showers , private acess to Tennis and Basketball court. The service was the best , sorry st Regis NY. In closing for those that can afford it this is it . Howerver, if cash is an issue please go to the Days inn right down the street all your issues will be solved.

1  Thank SPGPLAT