“a bit underwhelmed”

Ranked #9 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chester Springs, PA
“a bit underwhelmed”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

As always the W was dressed to impress, from the first look curbside, the soaring lobby, the outdoor courtyards, to the view from the room: and It succeeds. And I can't honestly fault one staff member. Everyone was professional, courteous, and friendly. If I have a complaint its that the place was too popular. The lounges were all full, so we walked around and waited awkwardly to have a semi-private conversation before splitting up after check in. The decks were full, the beach was full and the pool! The pool was so crowded it was hard to maneuver around all the (self appointed) glitterati. We opted for the beach, not quite as bad but too many people for me. We ended up going elsewhere for cocktails and dinner. Likewise for breakfast and lunch the next day. Its not a bad thing to be busy, but somehow at these prices and w this reputation I don't want to feel as if I'm on packed cruise ship.

Room Tip: Depends what you are looking for. I try and stay far away from the pool. In this case tho, you have...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
WSoBe, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

It seems like you caught us on a busy weekend. We do apologize as we greatly value our guests' comfort, and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Amaury Piedra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I'll make this quick...I love this hotel. They have every amenity, easy beach access & friendly staff. As well as a gorgeous spa, tennis & bball courts & stunning rooms. The beds are amazeeeee. You feel fabulous & cool when staying here. It's definitely a hip, trendy, modern, fun & sexy hotel. I travel with established 30'something's who like to have a good time and our group prefers the W over all else. They really embody the "whatever whenever" attitude.
I had a great time partying @ WALL which is located inside of the W. This makes it extremely easy to party then walk up to your room. Done! In the AM, def spring for the "hangover breakfast" and have it set up on your balcony. Paradise!! Then hit the beach, get some chairs & an umbrella & relax. On your way to the beach, you'll pass the pool. Expect it to be action packed. There is a DJ & beautiful people all over the place.
As for the staff, everyone I have worked with has treated my group and I like VIP's. Sales Manager, Thu Le Dong is organized, connected & an overall amazing person to work with. Everyone she put me in touch with provided top service. Tyler worked tirelessly with me up until check-in with room changes & requests. He always remained positive & in the words of Tim Gunn, he was always able to "make it work." The same with Norman @ Bliss Spa. He called in a favor and got an extra masseuse at the last minute to accommodate my group. Many others, Emy, Ashley, Katya, contributed to making sure we didn't have a worry in the world while staying at the W. I truly believe they care about their guests. We were treated like family. I look forward to working with all of them again this year! :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience! It was our pleasure to make your stay unforgettable.

Until next time,

Cardiff
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Firstly I would like to thank Antonella at reservations , I kindly asked for room 1909 (previously stayed there) when I booked in advance, she informed me that she would were possible accommodate my request, and thankfully that was the case when we arrived. I would recommend this room for its views and tranquillity.
Beach and pool service were excellent and thankfully it seems to have lost some of it's stuffiness and pomp. I would also recommend a few cocktails at the bar, well made.
Oh and the maid did a great job everyday for 8days.
Can't think of any complaints as yet.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
WSoBe, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your suite for some R&R! We can't wait to welcome you back to the property.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I just ended my weekend stay at the W celebrating my 17 wedding anniversary with my wife , and let me tell you this place is absolutely amazing! After I did the reservation I read the reviews posted here about it, and I was a little afraid because some of them were so negative about it, and they are so far from the truth. The staff is amazing, from the valet guys to the room service. Joseph was so eager to accommodate us after such a long drive from Nashville. The staff at the dutch was top notch, the staff at the beach, the front door guys opening doors for us, the room, the shower, everything is world class with these people. We were soooo please with these guys we are planning to make this place our wedding anniversary destination every year from now on, God willing if He gives us life. Thank you so much for giving us such a wonderful experience and God bless.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed a flawless anniversary with us. We hope to welcome you back for many years in the future.

Germany
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We (married couple, no kids) love the W because of the cool and stylish hotels they make. The W south beach is another cool location. Service, rooms, beach, bars, SPA, etc. is all on the levels you expect from a 5* W, but this time (23rd of March 2014) there is a huge backdraft on my otherwise spotless W reviews: the noise next door. The hotel to the north has put up extra A/C generators (or whatever these things do) and the noise is going on around the clock on a level that I have to warn fellow travellers!

I hope the W will put up some updates on their sites on this or comment on this post when the noise is gone. But we paid extra for the nicer Mega suites and we get more noise than the other parts of the hotel, because the suites are closer to the north.

Really the only downside so far, but a big one :-(

Room Tip: Ask, if the noise of the hotel renovations north of the hotel are done! If not, be on the south part...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank orgaZone
WSoBe, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are so sorry to hear about the noise levels you experienced during your stay. We are monitoring our neighbor's progress very closely, and will alert our guests when construction is complete. In the meantime, our signature Whatever/Whenever service is available to provide anything needed for our guests who would prefer less noise.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to W South Beach.

Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stay clear of this hotel. I will start with positives - the valet's were very kind as was the wait staff in the restaurant. The cleaning personnel were helpful and the room was clean.
Now the reality and what makes a stay comfortable. We travel quite a bit - approximately once a month for a week. We have never, I repeat never, been treated so poorly as we were by the front desk clerks at the W. They were slow, uncaring and cold. The pool area smelled of cigarette smoke. The area around the pool for chairs was cramped so that children were running into chairs and stubbing toes. Not enough room to move. The beach staff were packing up cushions and towels before the closing time, hurrying guests. All in all the staff at the front desk though set the tone. It is very surprising that the training is obviously not focused on customer service. If forced to stay at this hotel - one side faces a noisy construction site. The other side faces an old hotel. The rooms to have sight of the ocean but stay clear of the construction side and the other side is quite noisy with street noise. We were greeted to sirens and car alarms making sitting on the balcony less than relaxing.

Room Tip: If forced to stay at this hotel - one side faces a noisy construction site. The other side faces an...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Millie720
Dear Guest,

We offer our sincere apologies for the lack of 'wow' factor on your recent visit. Our staff sets the tone for the guest experience, and we are truly sorry if any aspect of your stay fell short of your expectations. We have shared your helpful feedback with the team to prevent this from happening in the future.

Berlin
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Great hotel, very stylish - as all W hotels are- directly situated on Collins Avenue. South Beach is only a food step away where private beach beds are waiting for you. The breakfast is the best I ever had (besides Ibiza Gran Hotel), a wide range of choices, fresh squeezed juices, healthy food and execellent service. Good recommendation!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It sounds as thought you had an incredible stay. We can't wait to welcome you back soon!