“The best, nothing else will do!”
Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #16 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Awesome in every possible way!!!! We were upgraded to a Marvelous room, and now nothing else will do in our stays in Miami Beach. We were in heaven!
Could use some more storage for cloths. Everything else about room and hotel was fabulous!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Hello Moira T,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us and the Marvelous Suite. We do have some of the best views in South Beach with a short walk to many of the major attractions. We hope you will come visit us again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need on your next escape, wsobesocial@whotels.com.

Best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,687)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I usually am the last person on review sites but I must say that I am really upset with the situation that happened on my last visit to Miami that I have no choice but to write a review to vent my frustrations.

Upon arrival for a ocean view room that I pre-paid $500/night for they let me know that it was no longer available....but after waiting in the lobby for 45 minutes they found me a suite they said is better than the room I was supposed to be in. Of course upon arrival to the room, it was a room overlooking a loud concrete jungle parking lot. That is not what I signed up for.

Coming in from an overseas flight at the time my wife and I were tired. I had specially planned for the ocean view room. The worst part is when I went back to the lobby desk they told me my original room was not really ocean view...to try and say its not a big deal...Is this not false advertising I asked to them?

Anyways they put me in a room that they still charged me $250/night for that was not a room I wanted. Common sense...why would I pay for something I dont want? I am stuck in a room at a price that you are giving me...complete horse if you ask me.

For $250 I could have had a ocean view room at any other hotel.

Not only this but not once did anyone follow up with us to see how the new room was, how was our stay, etc.

For a hotel charging $500/night you would expect a bit more of customer service.

The worst part of the whole thing is I took the time to contact Starwood and the manager Brian Herron of the W Hotel Miami with emails, phone calls etc.

Pretty much their response was nothing we can do for you ...we have done enough...

This is honestly the most disappointing hotel stay of my life. I understand mistakes happen but when Ive stayed at even the Ritz, they went beyond my expectations to make sure I was happy. I made the mistake this time of not staying there in Miami as I didnt realize there was a Ritz property there.

Customer service is the most important thing in any business. Mistakes will be made, but how you handle them is what brings a customer back. The W Hotel, its managers and staff....they definitely dropped the ball on our stay.

Save your money and for that price or even less there are many other properties in South Beach where you will get great service.

Sincerely
Prakash Chand
President Ask The Doctor

Room Tip: Don't waste your hard earned money at this hotel
2  Thank prakash2004

Hello prakash2004,

Thank you for the feedback from your stay. We would like to apologize for the experience you had with us. We greatly appreciate you as our guest and want you to be able to enjoy your time with us. We will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address our service culture. We hope you will consider our hotel on your next trip.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and baby in June '13, the staff from the valet to check-in were very welcoming and throughout the stay we found all the staff to be extremely attentive and friendly.

The property itself is very cool, chic, sophisticated and well maintained. We stayed in a fabulous suite with an ocean view, the room had all the facilities you could want and more... Including an awesome mini bar selection and Bose sound system.

The pool, cabanas and poolside DJ were also very cool, again with excellent service from pool staff. We also enjoyed some wonderful breakfasts here at the Dutch and an evening at Mr Chows restaurant located in the W was also a first class experience.

We will definitely be staying at the W South Beach again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Hello Fiona B,

Thank you for your review and recommendation. Our pool is the perfect place to enjoy the Miami sun but don’t forget to adventure out to the beach and relax on our ocean front lounges. We will be sending your review to our General Manager to celebrate with our staff. We love hearing from our guests and hope to welcome you back on your next escape soon.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

great location and great interiors as always with the W but it definitely lacks the 'warmth' of a caring hotel. the swimming pool was good but didn't get the feeling that the waiters serving the pool area were going out of there way for the clients. we had arrived just at bar closing time and rather than go and ask the bartender if you can have one last drink they told us we'll have to go and request her ourselves. not a big deal though one has come to expect service which goes out of their way when one is paying 600$ a night. the beach area was great and the service quality was prompt and warm. the drinks and snacks were also great. the rooms themselves were also really good and we had a partial sea view from the balcony of our suite which was good to hang out in the eve. the bathrooms were great and the whole room set up had a very well thought out feel to it...i'm giving the hotel four stars for the property itself though once they get rid of the slightly 'clinical' vibe of some of the staff,it will be truly five stars

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sabad

Hello sabad,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you love the modern design W’s are known for. We would like to apologize for the service you received. We take pride in the service we provide our guests and will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address. We appreciate you as our guest and want you to be able to relax and enjoy your time with us. We hope you will consider our hotel on your next escape to South Beach. Please let us know when you plan your next trip and Whatever/Whenever you may need, wsobesocial@whotels.com.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We recently enjoyed an amazing two-night stay at the W South Beach in a beautiful one-bedroom suite with sweeping views of the ocean (we were on a high floor). Everything was so luxurious! We loved the amenities (especially the Bliss products) and the technology with the wall-mounted televisions and the Bose sound systems. We certainly appreciated how clean our room was and personally wanted to acknowledge the friendly, efficient and thorough service from the room attendant (Marie Medor) that cleaned and replenished our room during our stay - she was so nice. The entire staff was so genuine, accommodating and made us feel right at home from the moment we checked in until we had to reluctantly leave. We especially enjoyed eating both breakfast and dinner at The Dutch, where the service was delightful and the food was spectacular! Obviously, we cannot say enough good things about our recent stay - it was everything we wanted for our little getaway mini-vacation!

Hello Chris Z,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you stayed with us on your recent escape to South Beach. We do have the largest rooms in South Beach with exclusive amenities to make your stay special. We have sent your shout-out to Marie Medor to our General Manager to celebrate with our staff. We hope to welcome you back soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

My stay at the W South Beach was so much fun. I stayed in the Wonderful Studio and found the room to be in excellent condition. My room was ready as soon as I arrived at the hotel. Mark was a great help and made sure I was informed about everything the W had to offer. When I walked into my room I was pleasantly surprised. I saw the décor on the website but seeing it in person was impressive. The room was beautiful and clean. There was the beautiful light fixture in the middle of the room, microwave, a Bose radio system, W Hotel Art books and the balcony which I enjoyed. I sat outside on the balcony throughout my stay but I have to say my favorite time to sit out there was during the nighttime with the cool breeze from the ocean. I went downstairs to the Dutch which I found to be a bit pricey but the food was good. Robert, my server, was awesome.

The following morning I decided to order room service. I filled out the card left in the room and indicated what time I wanted breakfast delivered. Carlos came promptly with my meal which I appreciated. Later on that day, I decided to take advantage of the Acura Experience. I was driven by a pleasant man named Ruben. He explained all of the features of the car and made sure I arrived at my destination safely. After a long day of walking and sitting on the beach I decided to book an appointment at Bliss Spa. I received the best massage ever from Miriam. I kept hearing about the Wall in the hotel and decided before I go I would venture downstairs to dance a bit. Thanks to Yvonne for recommending it and checking with the hostess to see if there was a cover. I met some great people there. It is pretty small but there is enough room to dance. Your best bet is to reserve a table. If you don’t have a table do not let that deter you. You should still go and party on. The crowd was full of energy and the DJ was pretty good. Check out was quick and easy. I checked out at 11am and had two hours to spare before my car arrived to take me to the airport. Concierge was kind enough to hold my luggage after check out while I went to the beach. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that visits South Beach.

Room Tip: Wonderful Suite has a partial view of the beach from the balcony. Still nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Hello y2010,

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We do have many unique amenities for our guests to make your stay special. We will be sharing your shout-outs with our Hotel Manager to celebrate with our staff. Our designers incorporated Miami’s style with W’s modern cool for a very unique look. We love hearing from our guests in regards to their stays. Please let us know when you plan your next escape and Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We planned our trip 04 months in advance, just to make sure everything went smoothly as we wanted. We traveled from Brazil to New York, where we had an excellent stay. Then, we went to Miami, to spend some days enjoying what we thought was Miami's finest.

We arrived at W South Beach Miami on May 2nd, 2013, around 07PM due to a very turbulent and long flight from New York. The flight took 2 hours longer than expected, since the plane flew in circles for a while waiting for a storm at Miami to go away.

Therefore, we arrived at W South Beach hotel extremely tired from our flight and went straight to the front desk to do our check in. However, during the check in, we noticed that the receptionist was a little confused and had to ask her manager, MR. MAX to help her. After they talked a while, MR MAX - the manager - told us that he was going to give us a better and wider room, with a direct view to the beach (we had booked 2 rooms in 04 months advance, one for me and my sister, and another one for my parents). We felt happy with this news and my sister and I decided to give the better room to my parents. After that, we went our separate ways to our rooms.

As my sister and I arrived at our room we were blown away by the nice room, perfect view and great closets and decoration. Also, we noticed the big bathroom and shower, and we were glad that we would be able to take a perfect bath and finally relax from the very tiring and stressing flight.

After settling in, we went to our parent's room just to check it out, since it was allegedly better and bigger, as stated by MR MAX. When we got there, we noticed that there were some HUGE differences from our room. And not in a good way.

My father had already tried to take a bath, a bath that turned out to flood the entire bathroom because of the lack of a glass door in the shower and the lack of a gap between the shower area and the rest of the bathroom. Also, my mother had tried to unpack their long coats and put them in the closet but, sadly, faced an unpredictable disappointment: the closets were less than a meter tall (something that we did not expect to see in a five stars hotel).

In view of this, we told our parents that the room that was given to them was not as ours, and that there was probably something wrong. As we looked closer, we noticed that there was definitely something wrong, since the entire room was designed to paralytics and disabled people, just as a sticker stated right at sight. Besides that, the door lock didn’t work, so my parents and I were unable to enter and lock the room properly.

Feeling a little deceived by the manager who told my parents that their room was splendid (after a long time with the security staff just to get the door locked - justice be made, the security guys were very nice) and wanting to get my parents into a room just as nice as the one we booked (as my room), we went downstairs to talk to the manager, MR MAX.

FOR OUR SURPRISE, the manager (not in a very nice tone) told us that there was nothing that he could do, that there were no more rooms available. He also explained that when we arrived there was only one room (as the ones we booked) available. But, instead of explaining this to us in the first place, the manager gave to us an allegedly better room, as if it was just like the one we booked (like we wouldn’t notice the obvious differences).

Therefore, we realized that Mr. Max gave that room to my parents just to HIDE the fact that there were no more rooms available, just to hide the fact that the room designed exclusively to disabled people (and not booked by my parents) WAS THE ONLY ONE LEFT.

I must highlight that when the manager tried poorly to explain, he told us that it is a very common thing in W HOTEL to overbook and oversell. This was a very astonishing surprise, since in Brazil this is NOT a common thing to hotels do (or say), especially when someone books a room in 04 months advance, as we did. He also told us that if we had arrived a few minutes later, there might not be ANY rooms available, situation in which he said that he would have had to "walk us out" (in his EXACT words).

We felt VERY disappointed with the treatment we received and with the total lack of willing to solve the problem or compensate the stress, specially being a five star hotel, from a W chain.

After the (useless) talk with the manager, feeling very disappointed and tired, we went to eat dinner, just to get through the night. My parents stayed the first night in that room, a room that was not like the one we booked, a room that was nothing like the one that my sister and I were in. NO apologies or attempts to make us feel better were made by the hotel.

By the way, the fire alarm of my parent's room went off in the middle of that night, waking my parents up in a very stressful way. After calling the receptionist, she told them “not to panic, just to go back doing whatever they were doing” – at 3 AM.

When we woke up, still not pleased with the room that my parents were staying in, and also considering the price that they were paying (a price that not for a second was considered to be reduced by the hotel given the situation) we talked again to the manager, that by morning was MR Julio.

MR Julio, in a different way from the other manager, tried to help us. During that day, he changed my parent’s room, and gave them a room JUST AS THE ONE WE BOOKED (and were actually charged for), not better, not worst.

After that, we had a pleasant time at W Hotel. However, the quote "YOU NEVER GET A SECOND CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION" applies perfectly. The first impression is something that should not be taken for granted, especially by a hotel. Our first impression of W Hotel was not good, and the hotel DID NOTHING to change it.

The costumer treatment is also something that should appear in the top 3 concerns of a hotel, especially given the fact that hotels deal with something that is PRICELESS: a person’s leisure, vacation and rest.

W Hotel South Beach Miami should definitely pay more attention at costumer’s treatment, particularly in the front desk. The treatment we received at our first night was very poor and the hotel did nothing to compensate. Considering the price ($$$$$) and the existence of quite a lot well known 5 stars hotels in Miami, I wouldn’t stay in this hotel again and wouldn’t recommend it to my friends.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank Adrianna E
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Hello Adrianna E,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the service you received at check-in. We take pride in the service we provide our guests and this is not the impression we want our guests to walk away with. We will be sending your feedback to our Hotel Manager to address our service culture. We would love to speak with you in regards to the service you received. Please email us at wsobesocial@whotels.com and we will get back to you right away.