“DISAPPOINTED”
Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #16 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just returned from a stay at the W South Beach (Miami), weekend of Jan. 18th. This is the 4th time staying at the hotel in 3 years. I must say that I was a little disappointed. We had a Wow Studio Room, #912, which was awful. The closet did not have any hardware that allowed you to hang up anything but some short tops or short skirts. Most of our clothes had to be hung in the bathroom on the shower rod. Every time we needed to shower we had to move them. Speaking of the bathroom, the shower was set up for handicap accessible, a walk in. As careful as we could be when taking our showers, water still flooded the floor. So many towels were needed to dry the floor. Why would the young lady who checked us in gve us a “Handicap Accessible “ room when it was obvious we had no handicaps.
The pool area is another story. If you haven’t stayed at a South Beach hotel – well most hotels have rules about reserving lounge chairs and then being absent from them for a period of time. “Rich” one of the W’s pool associates: sets up the chairs, etc… informed us that the W’s policy is first come basis and if we wanted a better lounging area at the pool that we arrive early, as early as 7:30 am…. I arrived at the pool at 7:45 am and all the lounge chairs in any decent area were already taken. I was given the best 2nd choice one could pick! Later in the day, come to find out its not really on a first come basis, but who who’s…meaning Rich had hooked up with several guest from New York that he obviously knew and was reserving a whole section of lounge chairs from them not just on that day but for the pervious days to come. Rich, who is off on Monday, even went as far as to have one of his associate take care of them in his absence. So much for trying to play by the rules – thanks Rich.
On a positive note, The Dutch Restaurant, within the Hotel (and newly opened) was all around amazing – service, atmosphere, & food.
With so many great hotels to choose from, our next stay will definitely not be the W.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kitty927
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Hello MJLake,

Thank you for giving your feedback from your stay. We would like to apologize that you were not aware of the room during check-in. We do have accessible rooms in our hotel and this is the reason for the closets space also. All of our guests are very important to us and we will be addressing the service at our pool. If you could please email us we would love to talk to you about your experience, wsobesocial@whotels.com. We understand there are many choices in South Beach and we hope you will consider us on your next trip.

Best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,685)

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel on Friday January 25th. The hotel itself is fantastic, location is great.. only a short walk to the heart of South Beach. The beach is fantastic, pool is amazing and the staff is very attentive. My room was fantastic with every detail taken into account. We at at the Dutch and again the service was great. This property is pricey but you definitely get what you pay for.

The only downside for this experience was the woman we dealt with at the Spa. I was actually with a group of 10 and we all booked spa appointments. The services themselves were amazing.. probably the best massage i've had in years. The issue was with the woman who worked at the front desk. We're all very friendly but for some reason she was miserable.. she was annoyed with us when we asked questions about services/products and it seemed like we were bothering her. When we asked for things to be charged to the room she made a big fuss and said that they are not affiliated with the hotel so we couldn't.. which we knew wasn't true. Every W we've been to has a bliss spa and they've always been good about charging things to the room. It actually became a running joke on the trip and we avoided the spa after that.

That being said, we all went on Saturday and maybe she was having a bad day... we know that bliss is probably "officially" a separate company... but when you're staying in the hotel and the spa is in the hotel the staff are a reflection of the W brand... I still give it a 5 star because she was just one person, but my advice to the hotel would be to make Bliss aware of the damage they're causing.. we would have spent a lot more money at the spa if she would have let us.. or have been more friendly.

Anyway - if you're going to South Beach and want luxury... the W is the way to go. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a Corner Suite.. they are bigger and have amazing floor to ceiling windows.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Gaet5150,

Thank you for giving your feedback from your stay with us. We see you have stayed at many hotels in South Beach and we hope to welcome you back very soon. The Dutch has the amazing creations from Andrew Carmellini and a beautiful terrace to enjoy the warm breeze (did you try any of the baked goods?). We would like to apologize for the service you had at Bliss Spa. Our Service Culture is very important to us and we will be addressing this with the General Manager of the hotel and spa. Please email us at wsobesocial@whotels.com with Whatever/Whenever you need on your next escape.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I Stayed in the Mega suite the week of 1\20
We arrived at 5.30pm to check in to our suite. our baby had enough traveling for 1 day and was crying non stop , we just wanted to get in to the room. As the procees of checking in was almost completed we were informed that our room was not ready yet(!) and it will take another 20+ minutes as a 'supervisor' is reviewing the room. OMG check in is at 4. She then offered us to wait in the bar , sure with a crying baby. finally 20 minutes later we were let in to our room.

The Mega room has 2 floors. 1st has bathroom, kitchen, sleeping and living area with a porch. the 2nd level is basically a outdoor deck featuring a kitchenete which i did not use, big open deck and plunge pool.

Overall the room was very nice and clean (we did find a dirty sock in the closet from a previous guest..)

The reason for 1 star is as follows,

1) The above mentioned check in process with room not being ready at 530pm

2) the main reason i stayed in the meag suit was because of the plunge pool. the problem is I was never able to use since it is not heated and the sun did not shine on the pool a whole day so it was freezing cold. paid $1000\nt for this room which is way more then my regular budget but i wanted to experince a private pool...which i did not use

3) The construction noise was unbearable loud. could not enjoy laying out on the porch at all

4) Before i booked this room i called 5 times the W to make sure that the the plunge pool area is private since i dont like getting in to the pool with a crowd of onlookers peering down from above rooms . I was assured each and every time that it is private and no one can see it. Well what do you know, i check out the pool and look up and see the pool is very visable to the other rooms. False info..

5) By checkout when i mentioned i was not fully satisfied i was told a manager will call me to discuss the issues. No one ever called me.

this is the first time i stayed in a hotel and was not satisfied at all. feels like i wasted money for no reason.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank madrich36

Hello madrich36,

Thank you for giving a review from your stay with us. We understand that traveling with children can be challenging and we do apologize that your room was not ready when you arrived. We do have some of the largest rooms in South Beach with many distinct features and amenities, such as the Mega Suite which is the reason for your stay with us. Your experience is very important to us and we will be addressing this with the General Manager. We would love to speak with you about the issues you encountered during your stay. Please email us at wsobesocial@whotels.com with the best way to contact you.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Let me say that I LOVED the property. The rooms are fantastic and I was upgraded due to my Starwood Platinum Status. Since it's a new property, the room. The main pool is a great place to spend your day and the beach is just steps off the property. Love the Bliss Spa there as well. s were clean and modern. I loved the views from the suite, private balcony and the kichenette. Room for improvement:
Staff: they were nice enough but no one was very helpful. I know it's South Beach but the service at other like properties in South Beach is superb. Well, except for Gabi -- she was fantastic!
Check-in/Check-out: The 4pm check-in and subsequent early check-out (11am?) cuts into your stay.

Overall, if you are looking for a great accommodations, nice pool, cool restaurants/bars all in one place - you have found it. Just know that there are some upcharges and they are not cheap.

Room Tip: request a higher floor closer to the beach
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Hello Saminish,

Thank you for giving your feedback from your stay. We love our SPG Members and we are so happy you love our hotel as much as we do. The beach is the perfect place to enjoy a day in the sun and like you said its only steps outside the hotel. The service we provide our guests is very important to us and we would like to speak with you about this so our General Manager can address. We will be sharing your shout out to Gabi with our whole team. Please email us so we will be able to speak with you more, wsobesocial@whotels.com.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The W in South Beach is a beautiful property. The modern decor and trendy vibe was a bit of overkill for me - it tries too hard. However, the beach was great and the pool set up was truly perfect in every way. Great pool, plenty of room for everyone to get a chair (in fairness, it was early November and traffic may not have been at its peak, but it was a holiday weekend also). The poolside service, drinks, and food were great. The food overall (pool and restaurant) was great. Misses for me include the rooms - they are decked out with uber-modern style but lack warmth; the service other than the pool- nothing warm and inviting about it, as though they could take it or leave it if you were there or not; and the prices were just too expensive for what you get. I am not usually a complainer on this and usually spend too much for conveniences and luxuries. But they go too far, I think. The rooms are appointed with tons of mini-bar type stuff but on steroids- way overpriced snacks, intimacy items, and full size bottles of liquor that the average guest is just not going to pop open and doesn't need to stare at it taking up room on the coffee table. Also, wireless fees are common still, I know, but when you are paying to stay at a nice place, a daily fee for Internet that barely worked is really annoying. For such a modern place, the least they can do is grant you this modern amenity for free. Or with a consistent signal. All in all, the things that annoyed me are unfortunately what stuck with me.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sesame77

Hello sesame77,

We would like to thank you for giving a review from your stay with us. W’s are known for having a modern look/style which we combined with the Miami cool. Our pool is a great place to relax in the warm Miami sun but don’t forget to sink your toes into the sand right outside. The service we provide to our guests is of the upmost importance and we will be giving your review to our General Manager to address our Service Culture. Please email your contact information to wsobesocial@whotels.com to speak with you in regards to your stay. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

You could not pay me to set foot in this place again. Arrived at 1pm and when we asked for an eta on when our room might be ready so we could plan our afternoon, just got a canned "we cannot gaurantee check in prior to 4pm-that's all I'm allowed to say ma'am" over and over, wouldn't even call housekeeping to get an estimate. When we finally got into our "partial oceanview room" there was no visible ocean whatsoever-just a massive loud parking lot we were hanging over listening to valet guys shout at each other constantly. Called front desk thinking we had been put in wrong room-but was informed that you could see a bit of the ocean from the balcony. Went out to check, and sure enough if you hung over the railing of the balcony and peeked around the cement slab of the adjacent wall you could catch a glimpse of the far off ocean when the wind blew the palm trees apart. We were then told that there was a room we could be moved to, then told 30mins later that that was a mistake, then 30 mins later told they had a room on the north side of the building we could move to. We asked about the construction on that side of the buliding and were told that it shouldn't bother us as long as we didn't stay in the room too long. Long story short at 11pm we realized our horrible room was adjoining the nightclub when our bed started vibrating to the music seeping through the floor. Six phone calls later with the incompetent manager we packed our bags and left around 12:30am to go find a room we could sleep in a different hotel. Spent another 2 hours of my vacation getting the W to release the almost $3k "hold" on my credit card for room charges even though we didn't spend a single night there. In short-the most shocking incompetence I have ever experienced at a hotel. Do not stay here. You will regret it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank SeasonedTraveler1000

Hello SeasonedTraveler1000,

Thank you for giving your feedback from your experience with us. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you faced during your stay. We take great pride in the service we provide and your feedback will be given to the General Manager to address our Service Culture. We would love to speak with you about your stay with you. Please email us your contact information to wsobesocial@whotels.com.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My flight landed at 8 AM and I got to this W Hotel around 10 AM. The front staff got me into a suite, immediately. I couldn't be more pleased with the layout - kitchenette, dishes/silverware/glasses, microwave, 2 televisions within 10 feet of each other (LOL -- why!), a very large bathroom with vanity for 2, and a shower for 6 people. There are some visually stunning details and ideas.

I urge you to get a room on the front of the building facing the parking lot. You can not hear the ocean due to the deafening construction noise. The construction ceases around sunset and it's pleasant to have a cool breeze on your skin.

Also, get a laugh out of the charges for the snack food -- starting around $15 for nuts and sky rocketing. There is a Walgreens across the parking lot up about 6 blocks -- stockpile water, snacks, and other needs for the cost of one convenient container of cashews!! Staff obviously doesn't check the cleverly opened snacks -- someone ate half the cashews (it's obvious!) out of a no-longer-sealed container.

I don't mind uppity but lacking class and character makes the moment stale. I found the pool to be very small and unexceptional. I understand that the beach gear (umbrellas, cabanas, chairs) are run by another company -- well, they are crooks. The cabana beds cost $100... similar beds are $30 at the Loews (which I love!). I am amused that buying a muffin comes with a 18% service charge -- it's not a lot of money given the $5 paid PLUS service charge/taxes.

House cleaning is handicapped with the supplies and manpower to do their job. You get one shot at getting the room cleaned. And, get ready for interruptions for turn down service (I was having sex ... very good sex ... when staff would not stop knocking at the door). It was a humorous moment (she said - in jest - that "I wasn't right" where I cleverly and jokingly told her "it takes one to know one").

I didn't eat at the restaurants or order food service. I make great money but I got very, very sensitive to their poor pricing strategy. Fortunately, I used points to pay for my stay but I strongly recommend that Starwood decrease their ranking of this property.

Room Tip: I urge you to get a suite over the parking lot given the deafening construction on the other side of...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank FieldTripBuddy

Hello FieldTripBuddy,

Thank you for supplying your feedback from your stay. We do offer many amenities for different types travelers. We do apologize that your snacks were not refreshed properly when you arrived to your room. We would like to speak with you more in regards to your stay. Please email us at wsobesocial@whotels.com with your contact information.