I'm not sure what happened, after a "surprise & delight" experience on my first visit just over a year ago, our visit in January 2013 fell short of expectations. The hotel was sold out, so I can understand that we weren't given an upgrade to a suite. However, we just simply didn't feel the love at all. We happen to be SPG Platinum but even if I had been a standard guest I would have been disappointed with some aspects of the experience. Here's what you need to know:
1) The rooms are indeed spacious and have an upscale feel to them.
2) When we'd stayed in October of 2011, we encountered a great staff member, Francheska, who has since moved to a different property. We had reached out to let her know we'd be back and she alerted the W South Beach "Whatever Whenever" team since she'd moved. Last time, we were surprised three different times during our stay... Upon arrival we had a note with complimentary Fiji water and free cocktail vouchers, then we had a knock at the door with a drink cooler bag, and then in the evening we had a box of high end chocolates and another note! This time around there was simply zero effort to make us feel any love. It seemed like our patronage was taken for granted.
3) My partner went down to the pool. It was packed and he couldn't find a seat. The staff at the door didn't acknowledge him. He had to proactively ask for a towel and they handed to him and made no effort to try to accommodate him. My partner ended up just returning to the room. We weren't able to spend any time at the pool.
4) The Living Room is expensive. The staff is great, but for 4 drinks and 3 appetizers, we ended up dropping nearly $200 with tip.
5) We were excited about the complimentary in-room dining breakfast for Platinum members. It arrived quickly, but it was simply coffee, juice and a basket of croissants and such.... no protein, cereal or anything of substance. Just empty carbs.
6) At checkout, the front desk associate asked how our stay was. I told her it wasn't nearly as good as it had been last time. She literally said nothing in response. I felt like she asked me because it's part of the script but didn't seem to care whether or not I enjoyed my time with them.
I'll take my business elsewhere going forward unless they figure a fix to the service issues. A nice room is great, but the guest experience is what counts. The nearby Conrad in downtown Miami treated us much better. Ironically, we enjoy ourselves thoroughly when we stay at the W Fort Lauderdale which is half the price. The W South Beach isn't what it used to be.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At The W South Beach, wake up to spectacular sunrises over the Atlantic or wind down to scenic sunsets in 395 rooms and bungalows featuring the best of resort living. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Amex, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets, Starwood, Hotels.com, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your W South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- w Hotels Miami Beach
- w Hotel Miami Beach