“Sun kissed 5-Star Bliss on South Beach”
Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #12 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Calgary, AB
“Sun kissed 5-Star Bliss on South Beach”
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Spectacular room, top shelf service and a food and pool experience that sets a high standard for luxury hotels in South Beach. Charging for wireless Internet and chairs on the beach when you are paying more than $1000 per night was a little absurd but overall a great W experience in South Beach

• Stayed January 2013
Hello PassionDrivesSuccess,

Thank you for posting your feedback on your experience with us. You have revived a number of high-end hotels and we would like to thank you for giving us such a wonderful review. We take great pride in our hotel and the service we provide to you as our guest. We would like to speak with you in regards to the WiFi and beach chair. Please send us an email to wsobesocial@whotels.com and let us know when you plan your next escape.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Very fun hotel and great location.
The W beach is very well organised.
The W pool is a lot of fun - I would recommend renting a private cabana for some relaxing / private time at the pool. The food menu at the pool / beach is fresh and delicious.
The rooms were big and specious.
Mr. Chow is worth a try - ask to be seated in a cabana outside for private dinning.

Overall a great experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hello travelstyle060,

Thank you for sharing such an amazing review on your experience with us. We love our WET Deck (pool) and beach also to enjoy that South Beach sun. Were you able to see the noodle show while you dined at Mr Chow? Please send us an email when you plan your next escape, wsobesocial@whotels.com, with Whatever/Whenever you may need.

London
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the W over the New Year period and shortly thereafter. We were paying over $1200 a night for a suite. First the positives:
1) The view was nice, although hampered a little by the fact that people are all looking into your balcony where the sun loungers are
2) The decor was decent - if you're into that sort of design
3) The service was fairly prompt

The negatives:
1) The room was not clean - the sun loungers had a very large number of cigarette holes (wasn't this a non-smoking hotel??), there were about 30 cigarette butts strewn all over the floor, the outdoor shower was filthy and rusty
2) NOISE - I *get* that this is South Beach and the W is struggling to be the hip party hotel but seriously, the music was VERY loud. So loud that I had to call down and they came up and had to acknowledge that the bass was so loud that there were vibrations in the water in my glass....the kind of loud music not even earplugs (which they provided me) could help. They took some money off the room (not a lot) but it meant I spent three nights hardly sleeping...
3) People: this is largely subjective and not something that the hotel can do anything about - really intended for those of you who don't necessarily want to be hanging with the fake-tan, piercings, "I'm trying very hard to be cool" but very GAUCHE set. I'm not a snob for the sake of it, but rather dislike what this ends up causing - LOUD, inconsiderate neighbours, LOTS of smoke everywhere, cigarette butts casually slung potentially burning you, snarky people who cannot seem to wait in a queue, people who chuck their trays out leaving food all over the corridors, people chucking rubbish everywhere. If you like the gauche Russian party scene - maybe - but if you want considerate, less in-your-face clientele, this was not it.

4) WORST SPA EVER: I had a horrible massage. The masseuse barely bothered, even with repeated mild suggestions. I am a total spa-lover and this was the worst Bliss I have ever been to. Worst still, in the Bliss menu, they said Gratuity was optional. I certainly felt after the CRAP massage I received I was certainly not going to put a tip on. But the rude, curt check-out staff in Bliss added a compulsory 18% gratuity - which I was simply too embarassed not to pay. She handed me the bill and said "massage plus required gratuity already included". I felt totally ripped off. I have had better massages from hags on Bali beaches....

5) VERY EXPENSIVE and CRAP POOL FOOD: We had to wait for our room for AGES and decided to spend it at the pool. Service was non-existent and when we finally managed, they charged us $80 for a miniscule taco starter and a pizza and a couple of SOFT drinks - the pizza was disgusting. As usual, the non-negotiable service charge was added for a complete LACK of service.

6) Poor breakfast - we stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for 3 nights prior to the W - so I have to say, there was a STARK difference in breakfasts...the Mandarin was priced at exactly the same level as the 1 but what a huge difference in SERVICE, QUALITY, and food.....they should go do a masterclass at the Mandarin.

7) Noise - I hate bringing this up but even in the day time the noise was unbearable. There seemed to be some sort of construction going on and at 6AM some sort of pumping truck turns up at the hotel and starts its generator or whatever....really really irritating.

I don't plan on going back.....and will either stay at the Delano or Mandarin on my next visit...

Room Tip: Avoid - stay somewhere with a bit more class, where the party is actually happening and with better...
2 Thank DSDELACROIX
Hello DSDELACROIX,

Thank you for giving your review from your past stay. We would like to apologize for the incidents that you experienced and for the Manager not following-up with you during your stay. We would like to speak with you in regards to your stay and address these issues. Your feedback will be shared with our Hotel Manager to address the service and cleanliness of your room. This is not the experience you or any of our guests should have while staying with us and we would like to speak with you in more detail about this. Please email us at wsobesocial@whotels.com at your earliest convince.

Gibraltar, null, Gibraltar
Reviewed January 4, 2013

lovely luxurious and very modern hotel. Hi tech room with several televsions and everything in the way of media and music equipment. large double shower with coloured lights. large balcony. Excellant location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We are so happy to hear that you liked the room and the amenities that our spacious, chic guest rooms come with. We look forward to welcoming you back again sooner vice later!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 1, 2013

No doubt my experience was influenced by being SPG Platinum. But for the two stays I had - I had a great near perfect time. Each time in the same type of suite. The check in desk was never that busy and they all seemed very motivated to be helpful even if a room wasn't immediately ready. And the room/ suite was great with that warm sun drenched balcony. The bose system on the desk was also great to amplify the Spotify on the laptop. A toilet wasn't working at arrival - the plumber was up in minutes. Massive bathroom. Love the multiple shower heads. Didn't eat at either hotel restaurant - from the reviews on here it is easy to do better a short walk away. One off note - one of us had an allergic skin reaction to one of the couch surfaces - had to cover them up with bed sheets to sit on them! But not much the hotel could do...

Cannot wait till I have the chance to return.

Room Tip: Balcony facing south -
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

It's great to know that you had such a great visit, especially coming from one of our valued SPG Platinum members! I am so sorry to hear that you got an allergic reaction, I trust that you are ok! Please let us know when your travels bring you back. Happy new year!

office
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We have stayed on South Beach every Christmas for the last 10 years and twice before at the W. This hotel keeps getter better and better. Bar none this is the BEST service we have had anywhere in the world. I've read some of the other reviews and honestly, we did not experience anything but superb service. Yes, there were a few misses in no turndown for two nights but that was the only misstep that I can identify. Every employee that we came in contact with had the W spirit. Our concierges, Shakasta and Vicki, were pros and check-in went so smoothly especially since I wanted a bathtub which is not easy to find in many new hotels. Also, the "insider" was very helpful in us securing dinner reservations in a high-demand restaurant. The GM should be commended on finding the "talent" to create this hospitable environment. Special shout out to Courntey and the gang at the beach. They do an awesome job in satifying everyone's needs in a very timely manner. The Dutch bus on the beach might not be pretty but it's brilliant in providing beach food that's fresh and timely.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the nightculb. Also our room was on the city side - can hear street noice but you...
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued patronage and support every year! It's great to know that the service gets better and better each time you visit. Thank you for posting such a lovely review, we look forward to welcoming you back later in the year!

seattle
Reviewed December 29, 2012

As an SPG gold member and a veteran in the hospitality business, I can assure you that no amount of money or points is worth it at the W South Beach. Not only did our room have a list of issues -- it was obvious that the "supervisor" who was checking our room (while we waited an hour) missed it by a lot. From a dirty robe in the closet, no trash cans in the room, only decaf coffee, bathroom flooded every time we showered, keys stopped working after one day, a $35 charge to use a basketball that was never disclosed, then the kicker is the email folio supposedly from the GM but no signature. Very classy. Stay at the Ritz where they know service!

• Stayed December 2012
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that your stay was less than exceptional, and I would like to apologize that your room was in sub par conditions upon arrival. I have shared your review with my housekeeping staff to ensure that the team gets a refresher training on passing rooms ready for guest use. For the folio GM email, this is automatically generated through Starwood, however if you do respond to the email address it goes straight to my email box.

Thanks again for your feedback and I apologize once again for the inconveniences you endured.