I'm doing this review based on being a platinum member of SPG for 3 years, this being a SPG Category 7 Hotel and room rates starting around $620 a night. I’m comparing this hotel to other SPG Category 6 hotels.
You might like this hotel if you like the W Hollywood.
1st thing, Pool wars.. All the sunbeds that face the sun will be gone by 6:50am, all other sunbeds will be gone by 8am. The pool team tell you to come down when they open from 7am to get your beds, but the fight to get your sun beds stats at 6:30am.
They also say that if you leave your bed for long then 1 hour that they will take it back. We watched for two day that this was not enforced. Most the sunbeds where empty till 12/1pm. Customer had to put then self’s on a waiting list to get a bed, but very few beds where taken back.
Only way to get your way by the pool is with a good tip to the staff.
2nd Finish in our room was very average and cheap. This is normal for a lot of the older W’s, but the W South Beach is just as cheaply made as the W Hollywood both of which built brand new. It should be at the same level as the W Hong Kong or W Istanbul. Only amazing thing about the room is the view. Which it should be when you have starting rates of $620.
I think taken a 2nd hand showerhead from a Four Point Sheraton
3rd want to pay for a cabanas, but told have to wait till next year.
4th You got the beach option, yep the beach is a bit easier to get a bed. Nice… But going to have to wait 1 hour to get a drink. Should learn something from the W Barcelona.
5th Being cheap on Bliss, this hotel really trying to hold back on giving you Bliss products… They should learn something from the W London who give you double size bottles.
6th SPG Platinum don’t get much, we got the offer for breakfast. But they only let you it as room service (why do want to eat in my room, when want to eat by the pool) and will not apply a credit to your bill if you want to eat elsewhere in the hotel. Should be more like St. Regis Monarch Beach. The breakfast did not look to bad.
The W Westwood give SPG Platinum two bottles of Fiji… other get discounts at the bar or restaurant.
7th Waiting for your cars takes hours, nobody from the Hotel is managing parking and way too few staff.
8th Need more staff everywhere.
The good stuff
1) Big gym, with lots of stuff (but sure the bench press is 2nd hand)
2) The view from the room
3) For 30,000 points a night is good value for SPG Points
4) Got some nice fresh drinks on the menu
5) The only options in South beach
Some FYI, if you planning on booking… If going to pay the prices for your private pool, make sure you know that the people in the cheaper rooms can look down at you from above.
Also, everything at the hotel going to cost you a lot, unless you enjoy drinking beer only. I think beer is the cheapest option. But this fine being a CAT7 hotel
I would stay here again if i'm using my points or points+cash
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At The W South Beach, wake up to spectacular sunrises over the Atlantic or wind down to scenic sunsets in 395 rooms and bungalows featuring the best of resort living. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Otel, Priceline, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your W South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- w Hotels Miami Beach
- w Hotel Miami Beach