“One of the best in South Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #4 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Gravina in Puglia, Italy
“One of the best in South Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I'm frequently in Florida for leisure and work, visited so many. This is now outstanding. Great place, great views on the ocean, excellent service, only a little bit expensive eating by the pool. Definitively a must in south beach at the moment. really reccomended.

Dear Guest,

We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and that you frequent Florida for business and pleasure! We can't wait to welcome you back!

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at The W for a week in September with my two daughters in a two bedroom suite with a large balcony. Unfortunately people smoking on the balconies of the rooms above us continuously dropped their cigarette butts and ash on to our balcony, which could cause injury or a fire. One day my daughter was sitting on the sofa on the balcony when a used condom was dropped by her foot! I called housekeeping to remove it, but received no apology or follow up from management. When I mentioned this on checkout, I just received a very inane "I'm sorry, have a nice day". Another problem with this hotel is at the swimming pool, the loungers are so close together it is very intimate. One minute you are relaxing on your lounger and the next you have someone smoking a huge cigar and blowing smoke all over you. Not very pleasant!

Having said all that, our room was amazing, the service in the restaurants and the pool was excellent and the pool was always inviting. Don't think I would return. I would look for a hotel with a non smoking in public areas policy.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor overlooking the beach
Dear Guest,

My sincerest apologies that you experienced continuous inconveniences with cigarettes and cigarette smoke and items being dropped from upstairs balconies. I have discussed your experience with my Director of Housekeeping to ensure that our team does their best to ensure all balconies are cleaned to perfection.

NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I won't go into the full details of my recent debacle at the W South Beach. In short, I was staying there for one night on business. Beware, the WiFi doesn't work in certain rooms, the room being the first one I was put in. They changed my room and then there was a loud banging coming from the A/C every thirty minutes. I notified reception on my way out to dinner and they assured me they would have it fixed. At 11:30 as my head hit the pillow, there went the banging. I tried to sleep with it and successfully slept to 4:30. At 5am I called Whenever, Wherever, got the snarkiest manager, Jason who sent up a technician. The tech guy was WELL AWARE of the issue, as it happens all the time and said that the A/C needed to be permanently set to 60, or freezing. Jason barely apologized, gave me a reduced rate. For the one night of sleep I needed before my business meeting, the W didn't come close to cutting it. If you're here on business and want to be treated with respect, do not stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank MelNYCer
Dear Guest,

I would like to deeply apologize for the lack of sleep and service you recieved while staying at our hotel. Please know this is not the way we service our guests, and I have addressed your review with the appropriate departments to ensure that all of our rooms are in perfect condition upon check in and that the service our associates provides is above exceptional.

Once again we apologize for your experience.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Have stayed in a lot of W hotels around the world, and a few hotels in Miami.

This place has the expected lovely W rooms, fantastic gym, great beach/pool.

But.....the service/welcome. I've realised by staying in a few Miami hotels that a lot of the staff are too cool to be interested in helping with questions, especially concierge service but it's especially bad here. Recruitment policy seems to be very similar to Abercrombie & Fitch. (Delano has much better service and staff who seem to want to have a career in the industry)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank kjw_global
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that the service you recieved at W South Beach was not up to par with the service that Starwood hotels is known to provide worldwide. I will utilize your experience for quality assurance to ensure that future guests do not have a negative experience. Thank you again for your feedback and we apologize.

Lake District, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here last week for 4 nights and generally had an ok stay.

I will start with the worst bit and the thing I think everyone should not, avoid Mr Chow's at all cost, because if you don’t it will cost you a lot for not much! We made the mistake of eating here one night as the weather than evening was not great and fancied some Chinese food as a change! Anyway to cut a long story short, the service was actually ok, the wine list reasonable but slightly overpriced. The food was maybe the worst Chinese I have ever had, it was bland and tasteless and just hot enough but barely. To make matters worse the seating is so close together at a lot of places you are actually closer to the person at the next table than the person your sat opposite, you could easily rub shoulders, now that might be ok in some places, but when my bill is $ 300+ for a reasonable but not expensive bottle of wine and a meal for 2 I expect a lot more! I pretty much eat in the restaurant of all hotels I stay at during a stay and this was easily the worst, even if the bill had been half or third of what it was I would still have had the same opinion, the cost just rubbed salt into the wound!

Now that rant is over, on to the hotel! We got a nice upgrade to Ocean Oasis, the first thing that was different was the Plat Breakfast, this was served as room service, which worked well for us as it took about 20-30 mins to arrive but meant we could enjoy it on the balcony. Also a first for me was when I offered a tip to the lady bringing it she refused saying it was taken care of as part of the Plat Breakfast, a nice touch I thought! I can see some people might find the room service a bit annoying if you’re in a rush in the morning, but worked well!

We also ate at the Dutch a couple of times for lunch and found the food and service to be good, no complaints there. Also we had drinks at the bar one night and while a little underwhelming for a W bar service was good and drinks were also reasonable!

Housekeeping was a little hit and miss, mainly for turndown, which was more miss than hit, but also didn’t makeup the room one day and had to call after being out for most of the day! When they did do it though they often forgot to replace shower gels etc. On the plus when I mentioned this on checkout the agent took $ 50.00 off the bill without any prompting, again a nice touch which I appreciated.

Overall we enjoyed the W, was pretty much as we expected in many ways, if it had been really busy we probably would not have enjoyed it as much as I can imagine the pool scene being pretty crowded and they certainly pack the beds into the area, but as it was we had no issues with this at all!
The main thing that struck me though was it felt a bit bland and dull compared to some other W's although mainly non North American ones, London which while rooms are small has a W vibe as does Barcelona, even the suite we had at the original W Lexington Av had more of a W feel to it than here, which being South Beach expected them to really push it, but the suite just didn’t seem that W to me, the lobby was better but still not great!

If we were in the area again and not in peak season we would probably go back if the price was right, but would not go out of our way!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeReasonable
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor, as we welcome all guest feedback, positive and negative.

I have shared your comments with the Mr. Chow Management team as they are not affiliated with W South Beach directly as they lease the restaurant space independently.

I thank you for bringing the housekeeping service to our attention, and I apologize that service was spotty. I have shared your feedback with our Housekeeping team to ensure that future guests do not have the same experience.

We do hope to welcome you back soon, thanks again for your time.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We opted for a quick weekend to refresh our NYC minds and body. This property is one of the most stunning hotels on the beach. We were originally wondering how we would enjoy being a little further north than the Ocean Drive strip, but that added to the amazing nature of the trip -- we were able to "come home" away from it all and enjoy the property and amenities.

Pros & Must Dos:

The pool is a massive work of art and has so many twists and turns in the area, check out the garden off to the north west side and the smaller infinity pool that is almost hidden behind a gate. This was our favorite part of the property. The ability to go poolside and then walk right on to the beach was so great.

Ask for an upgrade prior to arriving. The W is known for its philosophy of whatever, whenever. They will accommodate you if there is a room available and in our case we were treated like royalty when we found we had a Sensational Suite (photos attached) and this made our entire weekend feel like we were completely checked out which was exactly what we wanted.

The Dutch downstairs was a great place to eat.

Cons:

Not many. We didn't have a single issue staying here, absolutely loved it. If something is up, just pick up the phone and ask them -- the staff is amazing.

Room Tip: Request a room facing east or southeast. After booking and a few days before arrival, call the hot...
4 Thank OnlySane
Dear Guest,

We are so happy you enjoyed your visit with us and the Sensational Suite! It's one of my favorites! We strive we wow and delight all of our guests and I am pleased we surpassed your expecations. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We secured an excellent rate through our Westjet Vacations package, and were very pleased with the quality of the rooms as well as the professional service of the hotel staff. Our room was spotless, with nightly turn-down service as well as timely morning cleanings. One morning there was issue with the telephone service, and along with apologies came chocolates and extra water bottles. The spa services at Bliss were delightful, and dinner reservations were made smoothly through the concierge services. We would love to recommend, and look forward to a return visit!

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor with a north view. It was quiet with no street noises. If you prefer suns...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely visit on Trip Advisor! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay as well as the service you recieved from our staff and the treatments you had in bliss. We look forward to welcoming you back soon so we can create new lasting memories and impressions with you!