“Wonderful start to our Honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #5 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful start to our Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed here for the very first night of our honeymoon, we were staying over before flying out to St. Lucia in the morning. The hotel is divine! They have a prime spot on the beach, tasty mojitos, an awesome pool to lounge by and very knowledgeable staff that helped us find amazing food and activities on our very short time frame. The balcony view was to-die-for. Sunset over the city structures while dusk was creeping up over the gorgeous ocean. This was hands down the most romantic evening of our honeymoon... great music provided in the room, and of course we got a little gift for being blissful newlyweds!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your recent marriage! we wish you the best of luck in your new life together. I am happy we were able to create a memorable honeymoon stay. Albeit short, I am glad we surpassed your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for the next celebration and special occasion!

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Munich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Stylish hotel within easy walk to all the south beach restaurants and attractions. Rooms are a good size and most have nice views based on the clever design. Direct access to the beautiful beach and walking path leading to Lummus Park and nice restaurants lining Ocean Drive. The cleaning was not the best - there was a used bandage in a corner of the shower among other lack of detail we discovered when we arrived.

I have to agree with the other complaints about the service and access to the pool area lounge chairs. Employees are often clueless about the rules, charges and policies of the hotel and there is always confusion if you are renting one of their residences through a third party agent. Also as a regular guest you just get put on a waiting list for the pool area since the owners of individual residences within the W have priority or reserved loungers. They say they will inform you but they never contacted us and we checked ourselves several times but there was no availability. We have a German cell phone and they refused to SMS us though it costs very little to do so. They sent us to the beach where they said chairs are complimentary for guests (Wow - gee thanks!) but only if you want to lay exposed and sizzle in the heat. If you want an umbrella you need to pay another $15 which is ridiculous when you are paying so much for a room. OK this kind of scam seems to be the norm in Miami hotels for beach umbrellas (or you pay a resort fee) but at most of those you at least have access to the pool and don't feel like a 2nd class citizen compared to the owner of the apartment you are renting. You only get access to the pool when the weather turns bad and then only on the wind-tunnel side. The other side of the pool lies abandoned and wind-still with nice empty loungers, but they won't let you go there just in case a resident or movie star decides to come out and lay there when it is overcast.

They also said the valet parking was $15 a night which we thought was reasonable but then there was $37.50 a night on our bill at the end of our stay, and we had to haggle with them to get it back down to $15. Apparently the $15 is only for the owners of the residences and not guests who are renting a residence or staying at the hotel, but they should have informed us upfront. Also seems silly as they have three different charges for parking and they can't seem to keep track themselves. The parking is outsourced to a different company, so the hotel itself doesn't really help you and you have to negotiate directly with the manager of this company.

The staff are mostly kind of arrogant or aloof, as if they are very disappointed that you are not a celebrity. When we left they asked if we need help with the bags and we said no since we just had one rolling suitcase each, but then no one even opened the heavy lobby doors for us on our way out, as if to get us back for not asking for help!

Opposite to that was at the Dutch Restaurant, which had outstanding quality food at reasonable prices, but there the staff was almost over-attentive and about 20 people came up to us to ask if we have been helped, if we have ordered, if we are enjoying our meal, etc. And they were always hovering around just waiting to sweep up your plate the minute you put down your knife and fork. It was a little stressful. They also have the strategy of most restaurants in South Beach where they try to give you the worst table first, even though better tables are available, just hoping you will go for it. They all seem to want to save the better tables for the "better" guests. Still, despite the over-attentiveness they were friendly and professional otherwise.

Despite our complaints, if you can afford it or if you can get a good deal through a third party agent on a residence, then it has many benefits, such as that it is still fairly new, has a great location and fun bar for people watching and the Dutch really has fantastic quality food. You just have to be prepared to not be able to lounge by the pool, which is a shame because it is a beautiful area. And you have to be prepared for being treated like a poor relation. :(

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WombatMunich
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I am sorry we were not able to SMS you on your German Cell phone as we only have international calling on our land lines. We do keep our pricing competitive amongst the luxury hotels in south beach, inlcuding beach chair costs, valet, food and beverage. As our property is a 100% residence hotel, we often have residents, hotel guests, guests of owners, and renters who utilize the facitilies and each of the above listed guests have different facility set ups. I hope this clears up any miscommunication, although I wish we would have been informed of your troubles while you were with us.

Please feel free to contact us at gm.wsobe@whotels.com to discuss your stay further!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

What a spectacular hotel! This was the best experience I've ever had at a W hotel. I had reserved a suite and requested upgrading to one with a bathtub--I was shocked get a room that basically was an apartment consisting of a full kitchen complete with dishwasher, a living room, a den, a beautiful bedroom, 2 patios, and 1 1/2 baths! Despite the over-the-top trendiness of South Beach, the hotel was not TOO pretentious and the room was like a retreat. I felt pampered and at home. Unlike some other reviews i found the staff to be awesome--rounding up newspapers for me at 10 pm, dropping off a free fruit and cheese plate in the room, helping a friend check in for his flight, suggesting a way to save on breakfast in the restaurant, etc. Actually I feel spoiled now! BTW--the bedroom was totally quiet--I'm a light sleeper and slept like a baby

Room Tip: Not all rooms have bath tubs--if that's important to you, make sure to ask. Same re best ocean...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank katiew108
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the kind words!! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. Our staff is always excited to provide our guests with the W Whatever/Whenever Signature Service. Please let us know when your travels bring you back!

W SoBeGM
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

We had a great suite on the beach and were willing to spend $995. Because we have a Starwood Platnum card and have always been happy with the benefits, upgrades when available and the great staff.
We we just there for 2 nights and called for our room to be made up at 2pm. The telephone service person said they had until 6pm to make up the room. Whose rule is that? My own bed at home is made on the weekends by 10am. Why am i giving W $995. For worse service then home. Hevtold me they would get to it when they could. When tHey could was at 4:30pm.
That night the front desk called and told me no 4pm check out which was part of the Starwood benefit program and we had verified at check in. Tough, Ugly bouncer Manager calls me up and first tells me if i am not out by 11am he will just charge my credit card for another day.
When you go to the bar, in the halls, in the gift shop and by the pool, employees don't smile.

On my next trip, i am back to the Satay

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank FABCalifornia
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor. I am so sorry to read that the service levels at the hotel did not meet your expectations. We do our best to surpass guest expectations and I apologize that we failed. Thank you for your constructive criticism as I wish we would have known about the lapses in service you received while you were still with us. We do service our rooms between 8 am and 6 pm daily...our guests can request service at the time they'd like and our housekeeping team is happy to fulfill our guest's styling wishes. As we value all of our SPG clients, especially our gold and platinum members, we do our best to accomodate late check out when we have the availability. I am sorry for the inconvenience and please let us know when your travels bring you back to us.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I just returned from a two night stay at the W South Beach property, where I enjoyed the spectacular property and great service. My team from work was in town to celebrate a successful year, and to have fun and conduct some meetings. Everyone (all 25 members of the team) raved about this property and the fun to be had in South Beach. Not the cheapest, but certainly a spectacular setting to either vacation, have a romantic stay, or, as with me, have a great business meeting that is memorable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the kind review! I am so happy you and your team had a great stay, congratulations on your success!! We look forward to welcoming you back, maybe for a personal vs. business endeavor the next time!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

This place is exactly what I expect from a W. That cool, hip type of service... not the Four Seasons reserved type of service.

From check-in till we left (3 nights) we had excellent service from everyone. We booked an Oasis Suite and a Spectacular Studio... both were great.

Had a dinner and a lunch at The Dutch... was excellent. Chef Carmellini was in the house as it was during the SB Food & Wine fest.

Chairs at the pool were no problem heading down aound 830am.

We really enjoyed staying here and loved the hotel. Yes, it's expensive, but in line with other luxury properties in South Beach.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WINEandTRAVEL
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful South Beach Experience! The beach and hotel were lively with Food and Wine fest events and fun! I am happy to enjoyed yor stay and your room. We look forward to welcoming you back for some additional R&R!

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

The place and the view are fantastic. The service and the facilites are below any 3 star hotel. I have stayed in many great places in Florida - Mandarin Oriental, The Breakers, Ritz Carlton, just to name a few. This one is a trap for the ones that want to be seen. Awful and arrogant service. If you are not "someone", it is a favor to be a guest here. So, you pay full price for no service. We were in a suite, but this did not assure us any decent service. Some days the beds were turned with water and chocolates, but most of the days no one even bothered to come. The furniture is cheap, the door of one cabinet fell on my sons's foot. No one even bothered to apologize. In much less fancy places, we would get a sorry letter from the manager, with some nice fruits. Here... who cares? Concierge can not talk to you unless you drop them at least a US$ 100 bill. So, no answer to us asking for a restaurant reservation, as we only tipped them US$ 20. Mr Chow restaurant is a complete disaster, with the hostess saying that she didn't give a damn if we were guests of the hotel after a delay of more than 45 minutes to put us on our table. To finalize the experience, sharing the pool with Mr Cigar and 3 "paid girlfriends" was the funniest part of this totally trash experience. Nothing that makes me come back anytime in the future. I don't care paying well for service, but I do care in receiving for what I have paid. This is a total scam.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Ritz Carlton and Mandarin Oriental are much better options. If you still want t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Flavia A
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience on Trip Advisor. I am so very sorry that your stay was less than perfect. We strive to wow and delight all of our guests and I apologize you feel this was not the case with your recent visit. I wish we would have known of all of the service challenges you encountered while we were here as we would hace rectified the situation immediately.

I hope your son is feeling well from the drawer incident and I can assure you this is not a common occurence at our property.

If you wish to discuss your stay in further detail with us, pleasecontact us at gm.wsobe@whotels.com and I will be happy to speak with you.