“not for me”
Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #17 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed July 28, 2011

the hotel was nice but the room was not well kept and the pool was not nice

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank julien56
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry if you feel our hotel is not for you. We do our best to surpass every guest's expectations and I am sorry we failed in meeting your expectations. Please let me know if you decide to visit with us again and I would be happy to make all the arrangements assisting with your visit.

W SoBe GM

Write a ReviewReviews (3,785)

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Service was as high as we have experienced in any W property and it was refreshing. It is rare to find these days and when you do makes for all the difference in good or wonderful holiday. The rooms are nice and the food okay but the pool, beach and again, excellent friendly staff made us want to return.

Room Tip: high floors, very unusual for me to say this but the most basic room is spacious

Dear Guest,

I am so happy that we could make your holidays relaxing and pleasureable. We hope to see you back again on your next holiday for some more fun in the South Beach Sun!

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We spent 4 nights at the W recently and, overall, our stay was excellent. I only gave 4 stars because I reserve 5 stars for perfection. Anyway, the staff was uniformly friendly, the property was as expected for a W - sexy, hip, modern, expensive. The pool and beach were really nice, including top notch service staff. The complimentary Acura MDX service was a great way to get downtown.

Our room was huge (Oasis suite) and quiet. The food at Solea was very good. Lots of really yummy and inventive cocktails at the bars. Our main complaint is that the housekeeping staff left the cleaning carts in the halls 24 hours a day. Not once in 4 days did I walk down our hall and not see a cart. Not what one expects from a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your anniversary weekend at the W South Beach. The next time you visit with us you will pleased to know that we no longer have housekeeping carts, we have compact "luggage" that our housekeeping team uses, efficient and friendly!

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We had a great time. The kids loved it, the adults loved it and the grandparents loved it. The ocean in front of the hotel was great, the staff was friendly and nice and it was not as snooty as I thought it was going to be.

The rooms are gourgeous. Absolutely stunning.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views.....
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am so happy that everyone in your family of all ages enjoyed the property! We hope to see you again soon, and don't forget we have a special kid's play area on the beach!

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at The W for the last few days of our honeymoon and were so disappointed and angry that we transferred to another hotel (thankfully Soho Beach House was AMAZING so all was not lost). Our problems began at check in: we were made to feel like we were lucky to be staying at the hotel; after asking for a table reservation for the hotel's Mr Chow restaurant for the following evening we were told it was our "lucky day", that they were able to accomodate us. Perhaps if they thought it might be difficult, concierge should have contacted us before our arrival and asked if we would like a booking.

Up to the suite - impressive at first look, but up close....cigarette burns in the outdoor furniture, patio areas had not been cleaned, stains on chairs. An hour after we arrived I was forced to go in search of our luggage which had still not arrived and nobody at front desk seemed to know where it was.

That evening we made the mistake of trying to enter the hotel's club - The Wall, given it is heavily advertised in the suites and it is listed as an amenitie on the hotel website, we did not think this would be a problem. Apparently it was - an extremely rude doorman (who seemed to be of the opinion that he performed some sort of life saving, crucial function rather than merely admitting people to a club) told me there was NO WAY I would be allowed into the club if I was accompanied by my husband - if I had been with a girlfriend, it would have been fine, but a man and they were "at capacity" (we went to the club two nights later and it was the worst thing I have been to in my life - lots of 17 year old girls and a couple of very old men in a setting more at home in the 1980s). I then had my second chat with a manager of the hotel (having checked in only 5 hours earlier). She informed me that the hotel is at capacity every night, that I was lucky to be staying there, and the hotel did not have time to give a personal service given it is so large.

Unfortunately we had to wait another two days before we could check out early so we had to endure many other shortcomings - service to the suite was eratic, some days we would be provided with complimentary water bottles, some days not; I needed to ask concierge for my room to be made up at 3pm on one of the days. No turn down service. The pool is a joke - if you are not there by 10:30am you have little chance of getting a bed (and the cabanas are charged for). It was 95 degrees and I asked for an umbrella each day I was there - to be told every time that I was on a "wait list" (an umbrella would turn up 10 minutes later, they seem to just like giving you the impression you're getting something you shouldn't....they don't realise these things are basics). I tried to get an appointment at the spa - was told over the phone they had one 15 minute appointment within a 36 hour period. When I went down there the staff were free and happy to do the treatment I wanted. Wi-Fi is only available in the lobby. I think the prices they charge for the rooms should include some sort of breakfast.

I could go on and on - ultimately, if you are looking for something nice in Miami then stay somewhere else. This hotel is staffed by people who think their clients need them more than they need the clients. I cannot find a good word to say about the place - I was told it had atmosphere....definitely not! A general aura of disappointment.

5  Thank FFS_11

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to learn that you had a poor experience from start to finish and that you felt compelled to check out early. I wish I would have been made aware of the challenges you experienced during your visit and it is a shame that our staff left a negative image on your experience. We have implemented many changes to our hotel and our staff, and we would love the opportunity to welcome you back and show you a different experience. Please let me know if you choose to visit us again and I can assure you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed July 22, 2011

We extended our vacation from the Caribbean and stopped in South Beach for 3 nights. We booked an Oasis Suite at the W and we're not disappointed. Many of the previous reviews were negative and I found them all to be inaccurate.

Our room was great and very functional. There was 3 of us and the suite had 1 bedroom with a separate theater room with a queen size sofa bed. The suite also had 1 1/2 baths. To my wife's surprise she called about linens for the the sofa bed and two muscle bound men showed up bearing linens. They made up the bed and were very friendly. My wife then wanted more things to go wrong in the room so that she could call once again.

Our intereaction with the W staff (valet, front desk, pool staff and conceirge) was great. The hotel was very busy because it was the kick off to Swim Fashion week and the hotel was hosting several parties. One would have thought we would have been treated like outsiders. Rather we felt like we belonged and the staff went out of their way to meet our needs and make our stay memorable. We were even invited to the fashion show/party that the hotel was hosting,

The infinity pool is small but there were plenty of free chairs. The chairs on the beach were also free. There was a charge for a daybed and/or umbrella. Both the beach and pool and plenty of staff available to serve you food or drink.

Obvously this is South Beach and the hotels are pricey. However, we felt that for a ocean front hotel and the level of service that we recieved it was well worth the price.

This was our first stay at a W property and I would absolutely stay there again. If all W hotels are like this then I will be a returning customer.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank smnlefty

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a lovely review! I am so happy that your family enjoyed W South Beach, I even chuckled when I read about the house men that brought up the linens and your wife wanted more things to go wrong! Great memories and stories to share, we hope to welcome your family back to create more fun memories.

Reviewed July 19, 2011

Felt completely inferior to the staff and 'beautiful people ' who use this hotel, however, the suite was spacious, clean, luxurious and comfortable. Pool area crowded and difficult to navigate through.However, we would now book another W for the wierd factor of the art and decor.

Room Tip: Dress to impress and arrogance gets action
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor. The best advise we always give is to "Expect the unexpected" in South Beach, it's always fun to see so many different people interact!

See you soon!