“All the glitter and glamour that South Beach has to offer!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #11 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Hollywood, Florida
“All the glitter and glamour that South Beach has to offer!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

I finally had an opportunity to check out the much hyped W Hotel South Beach and it lived up to it's reputation of being the posh, pulsating, trend-setting haven for the stars and Celeb's. There were even a dozen Paparrazi staked out at the front entrance!

The property is expensive make no mistakes, but you are paying for the chic allure that this property delivers. The location is dynamite! Right in the heart of South Beach and on the Broadwalk facing and overlooking the ocean.

We stayed in the Oasis Suite and the following highlights are worth noting:
1) Room service was perhaps the very best I have ever experienced. Well worth the extra cost. The food was delicious and arrived in 20 minutes pipping hot and the presentation was white table cloth all the way.
2) This property is VERY dog friendly! My dog Sage, loved chilling on the balcony and watching all the hot South Beach models tanning below. I loved that they actualy had his own Doggy Room Service Menu to order from.
3) They had an amazing Entertianer in the Club Lounge: Brendan O'hara and the Big Bounce. This is the kind of musician you would expect to pay big bucks to catch in a concert hall!
4) The staff were very friendly and helpful. Lastly, the lobby is a great place to people watch and there is a lot of eye-candy!

My highest accolades go to Mr. Paul McGannon. He reached out to me via the Welcome Desk prior to my arrival and we had a few very nice correspondences. The value of this is that I felt truly welcomed by his authentic hospitality and concern that my stay would be beyond my expectations. Rest assured, it was!!!
I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Check online night before you arrive for specials
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Baba M
Dear Guest,

I am so happy to know that you had a great stay in your Oasis Suite! Paul is definitely one of our gems, we are lucky to have him as part of the team and I have shared your comments with him. We hope to welcome you back in the near future for another W stylish experience!

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

My wife and me have just returned from a business trip to Miami. Our choice of hotel on this particular visit was the "W" on South Beach. A choice I would make again in a heartbeat. The contempary design of the rooms was upbeat and our suite was well maintained. ALL housekeeping staff came with a smile, no request was too small, and every service was followed up with a call from the supervisor to ensure the requested service had indeed been carried out.

I experianced a 98% first ring pickup response!!! This was truly amazing as most customer service centers can barely manage to achieve a three ring pick up responce average.

We were due to stay about five days and then return to Dallas. Toward the end of our stay I put out my back and remained confined to our room for a further 5/6 days.

When the service maids and in house dining personel became aware of my "internment", it was as if I became their personal concern. First came the huge plate of fresh fruit, then delivery of unrequested heating and cold packs which came just minutes after the fruit plate, and then daily thereafter.. The warmth of their collective efforts just had to aid in my recovery.

Dining was excellant! We used the main restuatrant and found the staff friendly, professional, knowledgable, attentive, and "invisable." Their recommendatons were on the mark; try the crown of lamb. Mine was plentiful and cooked to perfection.

My overall impression is one of professional caring from the minute you step out of your transportation right up until the minute you leave. 5 stars to the "W." They have it right!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to learn that you had an amazing experience and our staff was on point, in all outlets from room to food and beverage as we strive for perfection and we delivered it!

We hope to see you soon!

Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the W South Beach for one week. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite for approx. US$ 750 a night. The room was very nice with contemporary furniture and great views. However, cleaning was exceptionally poor! Remainings of lipstick on glasses, remainings of previous guest's business on the toilette seat and disgracefully dirty cushions on the balcony furniture. The situation didn't even improve after highlighting the issues. This property also hosts holiday homes which alway come first. It was not possible to get a sunbed at the pool because they were all reserved for owners of the holiday flats. As a hotel guest you could only get a sunbed at the beach. If you wanted an umbrella that was $15 extra per day. Which is a good example of a recurring theme at this hotel. Despite the high room rates, everything is extra and pricy. Don't expect any complementary service. Service in general has been the poorest we have ever experienced in a hotel of this level. We have stayed in various 5 star hotels across the US, Europe and Asia, but this has by far been the poorest in terms of service culture and value for money (despite a mandatory 20% service charge on any consumption or purchase). Also if you expect great atmosphere, cool people and party...you better stay in the Delano!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Schwabe1893

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry to learn that your stay was less than exceptional and we did not deliver the quality and service Starwood Hotels are known for. As we are a residence hotel, we do have split space for hotel guests and residents to accomodate everyone in the best way possible, and I am sorry if you feel you were inconvenienced by the residents during your visit.

Nevertheless, we would love the opportunity to welcome you back and I can assure your experience would be completely different the next visit. Please let me know if your travels bring you back to Miami.

Estero, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

My husband had a business meeting at this hotel last month and invited me to tag along. I have never been a big South Beach fan but I went anyway This Hotel changed my mind!
From the moment we walked in the staff was friendly and welcoming. The lobby is beautiful with a lot of marble and it smells so good! Our check in was quick and painless After a cup of orange infused water we were off to our room..
We have stayed at several W Hotels but this one is by far the most beautiful we have seen. One look at the room and we both said wow this is nice. The room was very contemporay yet extremely comfortable. It seemed large compared to other W's.
The bathroom was my favorite . Large marble shower with body sprayers, big soft towels, plenty of counter space and a makeup mirror. The best part was how sparkling clean everything was. Not a spec of dust anywhere.
The pool area is not huge but lovely. How wonderful that an attendant seats you so there is no one putting towels down and saving seats all day. He even dressed my chair for me. Two towels on the chaise and a third rolled for my head! Plenty of friendly servers willing and ready to take orders. But be aware it is resort prices. I ordered one drink and a salad . When the bill came I had to look at it twice. Tax , tip and a resort fee.
We used the concierge desk several times. I cannot say enough nice things about how friendly and informative these professionals were. When a friend and I wanted to go shopping the concierge not only made several suggestions, mapped it out, he even called a car for us and walked us to the car! Another example of going the extra mile!
When we walked into the lobby to check out one of the staff saw us and had our car brought around so it was waiting as soon as we were finished at the front desk.
The only glich in our trip was three days after we returned home I realized I had left my favorite swimsuit behind. I called the hotel with slim hope that I would ever see it again. Much to my surprised I was transferred to a pleasant man who took my info put me on hold and returned to let me know that yes my swimsuit was there. He took my information and quickly emailed options and cost to get it back to me.
Thank you Gene Rodriguez and the rest of the staff who not only got my suit back to me quickly but also the top to another suit that I had not even realized I had left.
My husband and I have both traveled throughout the US and Europe. He still travels most weeks with his job. We both agree that this hotel is not only beautiful and inviting it has the one of the most friendly staff we have ever encountered.
It is refreshing to know that outstanding customer service is alive and well in South Beach!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Wow, what a spectacular visit! We hit it right on the nose I see, that makes me very happy! I am also glad we were able to recover your swimsuit, and that our staff in the different departments and outlets were most warm and helpful.

We hope to welcome you and your husband back soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed at the W South Beach for vacation last week and it was wonderful all of the rooms have an ocean view. The location is toward the end of South Beach on 21st Street (not in the heart), but the hotel has great views on the boardwalk and the rooms are very spacious. The pool is great, however, the service is very slow or great depending on which side you're on! The beach is beautiful and the service on the beach is great! The busiest day of the weekend, Saturday, they ran out of towels in the pool area, which is totally unacceptable, don't they have laundry facilities on site!! They said we'll have towels at 7:00 PM but didn't, they close the towel service at 7:00PM. If you need to use your cell phone in your room, it won't happen. For some reason you can't receive calls in your room. If you want to check out The Wall (night club) you have to make a reservation in advance, the hotel has nothing to do with this private club. If you want to go to the Spa book it far in advance, it was sold out the entire time I was there. Anyway, there's so many great places to go and eat on Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. It's a great vacation spot with a great mix of relaxation, party time and beach time!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit and I apologize that we ran out of towels at the pool. I know that the next time you visit we will not have that problem for sure! Hope to see you soon!

NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

I loved this hotel when it first opened. Sure it is corporate and somewhat antiseptic, but at least it was new and well run. Unfortunately, the hotel and staff have fallen into a state of disrepair. My $700/nt Sensational Suite had numerous problems. Safe- broken. Bathroom mirror- coming off the wall. Bedroom lamp-not working.
Take a look at the "ocean view" my suite had.(attached photo) Pretty sad view of the parking lot with the ocean in the distance. How would you like that view for $700 a night?
Is that a terrace you would enjoy? I made this reservation months in advance. When I complained to the manager Domina, she was no help at all, she was even insulting to me. The worst part about this property is the staff. They seem to be trained to say "No!"
Can I get my $700/nt suite on a higher floor with the promised ocean view-No.
Can I check in before 4PM-No.
Can I get a free breakfast because I am a Starwood member-No.
Can I get a late check out-No.
They should rename this hotel "The No Hotel."

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
35 Thank nycGUYtraveler

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that your visit with us with so unpleasant. This is not the image we like to portray to our guests and I will make sure that Domina and the rest of the team are refreshed on providing exceptional customer service, especially to our valued SPG Guests. Thank you for the feedback.

Northampton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

We paid over $1,800 for an oasis "oceanview suite" for my wife and three daughters in January of this year and were very disappointed. We stayed there only one night (thankfully) on the way down to the Caribbean, never again. From minor stuff to major stuff I would not recommend this to any families. First off this is party central and if you are partial to some sleep you are in the wrong place. Room service is total disaster, breakfast was ordered and was so late(over an hour)we had to leave before it arrived. After spending a half hour looking for the bedding for the second room we were told there wasn’t any and we would have to wait another hour for someone to come up and set it up. Would have been nice if someone had told us this in advance, especially since I made no secret of my three children. All of whom were freaked out by a card left under our door and handed to us by the bell hop when we first entered the room. One problem the name on the card was not ours and the bell hop was not quick enough to realize this. When checking out (hungry) I asked to see the manager and was told there would be another wait but out transportation was waiting so I asked for the survey to be mailed to me. I am still waiting. Just discovered this site and thought I would save other families the aggravation of a very over priced hotel. For $1800 I don’t think a good nights sleep and breakfast is too much to ask.

Room Tip: dont waste your money or points on a suite
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank atlasshrugged77
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that your stay with us was not to perfection. I am disappointed that every aspect of your trip, from check in to check out, was sub par. I wish we would have been advised of this...the surveys are sent at random to guests, not everyone recieves them. I will be utilizing your experience for future training and learning experiences to improve our gust service.