“Great staff ”

Ranked #35 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great staff ”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a night rooms are small but well thought of. Service on the beach was very very slow but over all gr8 polite staff. What I couldn't Believe was no frozen drinks ???? Over all very good experience and Leo the supervisor at front desk was extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review SLS Hotel South Beach, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please accept my apologies the slow beach service, I will be sure to discuss this with management. It is always great to hear nice comments about the staff I will be sure to share the feedback with Leo. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
Glendale, California
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Sls decided to rent out the outdoor bar and ultimately the only place to eat to a private party. And referring their guests to go eat at the hotel next door..... The servers and hostesses were clueless and rude!
I understand trying to be cool and trendy but visiting from LA SLS you are disappointing....

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Arlet1
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience at SLS Hotel South Beach. Though the nature of your review pains me we will use the information to improve as a hotel. I am very sorry and shocked to hear that the Servers at the restaurant were rude, usually we get raving reviews about the staff. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel for a second chance to turn things around. Please feel free to reach out to me for future reservations so that I can see to your arrangements personally.

Los Angeles
Reviewed April 10, 2014

There are so many amazing things about this hotel - It's well decorated, perfectly located on the south beach strip, has amazing restaurants, and lovely perks, but there are also some things that keep this place from being truly stellar.

We had two rooms, a Queen City View, and a Beach view king -- the king was located on the corner of the building and had lovely art-deco windows and a true beach view. Both rooms were on the small side, but well appointed -- there is a padded bench/couchy thing that runs along one of the walls with a slide in desk. The bed was amazing. The Bathrooms were modern, I had a fancy multi-head shower that took of half of the space. I kind of wished I'd had a bathtub, but that's just me. Another thing worth noting, the bathrooms don't have that musty smell that pervades some of the other South Beach Hotels -- a huge plus in my book. Unfortunately, Miami Beach Historic Zoning prevented the renovation from adding additional elevators. There are only two elevators, and it seemed like they were especially slow moving.

I loved the restaurants in the hotel. A HUGE fan of Katsuya -- I was excited to eat here again. If you go, definitely try their spicy tuna on crispy rice. Bazaar (the other restaurant) had a lovely outdoor dining space on the back patio, and we had a leisurely lunch out there. They also set up a the nicest continental type breakfast (I think that the breakfast was included in the cost of our rooms) I've ever seen, tons of fresh fruits, fresh fruit juices, cheeses, and a fantastic spread of tasty spanish cold cuts, I think I easily ate $40 of jamon serrano. All in all, every morsel of food that we had inside that hotel, was awesome.

The hotel's amenities were mostly top tier. I attended a great yoga class (free for guests), and had a spectacular massage. The pool, however, was a low point. They provide some lovely free perks for those sitting out there, we had some great free fruit popsicles, and free water/juice. I wish we had left it at the freebies, because when we attempted to get lunch out there things went down hill. The service was horrible, our waitress was non-existent, forgot to put in half of our order, and neglected to clue us in on a few things that made our meal much more expensive. In general, the food by the pool is ridiculously over priced. They also include a service charge in the bill, so I was forced to handsomely tip our waitress for her sub-standard service. Moral of the story -- don't order food by the pool, pop on your shirt, walk 50 meters and go to the actual restaurant.

The abysmal poolside service was not the only time the SLS left me wanting. When I first arrived there seemed to be some sort of logjam at the front desk, and I waited at least 10 minutes before a desk clerk could see me. To add insult to injury the room wasn't ready. I got lunch, came back and the room *still* wasn't ready. While I understand that delays can happen, I was disappointed with the staff's reaction. A free drink at the hotel bar or something of the like, would not have gone amiss.

On the plus side, I do want to mention the fantastic free car service that the hotel provides. They have a swanky 7 Series BMW that will take you to anywhere you need to go within a 3 mile radius. That was amazing.

To sum things up, I don't feel like they went the extra mile to make it a four star hotel experience. I feel like I'm nitpicking, but this price point definitely magnifies flaws. In comparison to other south beach hotels, this was at the top of the pack. We had a fantastic time staying here, and I would certainly consider this place again.

Pros:
Decor
Location
Restaurant
Car Service
Great Spa/Gym
Amazing Free Pen (Seriously, hotel stationary & pen set was the nicest one I've seen)

Cons:
Horrible pool Service
Slow elevators
Small rooms
Expensive

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Writinggal215
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Writinggal215 thank you for taking the time to relay your most recent experience at SLS Hotel South Beach. Please accept my apologies for the slow service at the pool, rest assured this matter will be addressed with management. I will agree with you that we do not have the largest rooms on the beach, to add the queen rooms that you booked are the smallest rooms in the hotel. With that being said we do offer king sized rooms and villas which I am sure would be to your liking. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed many of the amenities we have to offer and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Miami
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel! Was dying to try the restaurant inside the SLS, "Bazaar", I heard so much about. Definitely worth it. Also enjoyed a nice, relaxing time at the beach. Damian and Ivan were very professional and helpful. An overall great experience. Would definitely recommend!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thank you for your review on SLS Hotel South Beach, your kind words are greatly appreciated. It’s always great to hear nice comments about the staff, I will be sure to share the feedback with Damian and Ivan. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I've been going to South Beach for the last ten years and I normally stay at the Foutainebleu. I've also stayed at the Sagamore, Marriott South Beach, and the Loews. I was really hoping that the SLS would be my new favorite hotel, but I was disappointed with quite a few things. To start with the rooms size is incredibly small. This room was by far the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in, in any city. There was no closet or storage for your clothing. There was also no floor space to put your suit case. My husband and I had to place our suitcases on the small nightstands on either side of the bed. There was also a blood stain on the sheets, and the curtain had a large brown stain on the bottom. The rugs were fraying. It is not what I'm used to, especially at that price point. I asked if we could upgrage to a larger room, and the front desk said it would be $1,900 a night. That was more than what I was willing to pay.
We spent one day at the beach, and the service was very much lacking. We checked in to get our chairs and towels and the SLS employee was clearly out of sorts and a little "foggy". He had to ask us our room number and name about 5 or 6 times. I requested he send over a server so we could order drinks, but after 45 minutes no one showed up and we decided to head over to the pool. Also, it should be noted that they charge $20 for an umbrella on the beach even for hotel guests.
On a positive note, we dined at the Bazaar quite a few times, and the food was excellent. The service was great. Everything was very flavorful, and well thought out.

1 Thank Christine G
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thanks so much for your honest feedback about your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. Based on your comments, we’re taking the time to make a number of changes at the hotel that will help ensure a flawless experience for your future visits to South Beach. It is always our top priority to guarantee that you enjoy the best Miami has to offer, in boutique luxury and comfort. We hope we get the chance to welcome you back again soon and sincerely thank you for taking the time to write your very helpful review.

Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed April 7, 2014

In my opinion this hotel is really overpriced because of the rooms. The basic rooms are really small with literally no room between the walls and the bed (queen). The rooms are very nicely modern decorated but not fully equipped. There are only 2 elevators that you will need to share with the service while they are cleaning or moving laundry.

The Spanish restaurant Bazaar, has gone down hill. It is really not what it used to be. The patatas bravas are disgusting and nothing to do with the real thing. You cannot order a glass of Sangria, you have to order a pitch. For breakfast, the options are minimal and the food is very plain and overpriced.

Nice pool. Beach chairs are complimentary but umbrellas will cost you extra in the beach.

The hydebeach club is fantastic and hotel guests get complimentary access. Good music and great atmosphere. Party pools are really fun. Cabanas are good if you are a large group of people.

In my opinion, I would ONLY come to this hotel to visit the Hydebeach club and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Hydebeach club is really fun. Free entry for hotel guests.
1 Thank Piscus
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and relay to us your experience at SLS Hotel South Beach. We take guest comments very seriously and though it pains us to hear your experience wasn’t positive, we see every opportunity as a chance to learn and to grow. Though situations like yours are rare, it is something we must always be vigilant about as we continually try to enrich your stay with the best boutique experience in South Beach, Miami. The next time you’re back in town, I would love the chance to personally make sure your next stay at our luxury hotel is an all-out success.

Woodbury
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The stay was wonderful. The long pool almost invites us to jump from 2nd floor balcony. The chef tasting Manu was the best we tasted among Mediterranean cuisine. As a centurion card holder for over 20 years, we have been to many places and tried many good meals around the world. This place is up there. The Art Deco to the max by Philip Starck.

Room Tip: Try the villas in the back
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review SLS Hotel South Beach, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the Bazaar, it truly is an amazing dining experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.