“5 night stay”
Review of SLS South Beach

SLS South Beach
Ranked #40 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a 10 night trip to Miami Beach. We split time during our trip between the SLS and another high end property nearby. We wish we had stayed at the SLS the entire time! From the time we checked into the hotel, to even after we checked out, the service was outstanding. The staff at the hotel go above and beyond to make sure that everything you need, want, etc. is taken care of. We ate at both restaurants on the property, had drinks at the bar, as well as a day with a cabana by the pool and everything that we did was fantastic. The clear winner of the restaurants was The Bazaar by Jose Andres. We invited friends to dinner with us, and it was outstanding. My wife has a gluten intolerance but our server, Marlon, was a huge help and went out of his way to walk us through a very large and diverse menu as well as helping my wife avoid anything that would trigger her allergies. The beach service was friendly and very helpful, and our days at the pool were also extremely nice. The hotel itself has a very fun, hip atmosphere. The rooms are a bit small, but are also well appointed. The hotels sister property The Raleigh has a great juice/coffee bar that was recommended to us by the ladies at the front desk, and it became our go to place every morning. Cannot say enough about the help from the front desk staff! They even went out of their way to bring us our favorite Juices from the Raleigh on our last day down to the beach! We will definitely be going back to Miami and will not stay anywhere but the SLS.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to relay your most recent experience at SLS Hotel South Beach, your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are very proud of our staff at the hotel, so I am very happy to hear that the staff were able to exceed your expectations while on property. We always try to accommodate guest dietary restrictions so I will be sure to share your positive feedback with Marlon and the front desk staff. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Wow. Walked into our hotel at night - the front reception was filled with clubgoers, thumping music and expensive cars out front. Sleeping was tough if you had the misfortune (as I did) of being just two floors above the lobby. Although the service was impeccable, it got really tiring to have to move through thongs of people just to reach the elevators. This place is really trying too hard to be LA.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose a room below the fourth floor or in the front facing the street.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thanks for your honest review on SLS Hotel South Beach, the feedback is greatly appreciated. I am happy to hear that you received great service while on property. The weekends are very busy at SLS with all three venues activated, there is often a lot of excitement around the hotel. Please accept my apologies for noisy neighbors we do have our security team do constant floor checks to limit loud guests. We do encourage guests to call the front office if they are being disturbed by others as it is our top priority to ensure all guests are able to have a peaceful night’s sleep. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We travel often for leisure and are always blown away by the incredible service at the SLS. Tonight my fiancé and I were outside having a drink at bar when one of the staff (Jordan) offered to take a pic for us. She was so nice and welcoming!!! Told us to let her know if we needed anything at all! She was wonderful!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to relay your most recent experience at SLS South Beach. Providing incredible levels of service is something that the hotel strives for on a daily basis, so it brings me great joy to know that we executed this for you. Thank you for the kind words about Jordan I will be sure to share the feedback with her. We look forward to welcoming you back to SLS in the near future.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We had the pleasure of spending a few nights at SLS recently. A very chic hotel with wonderful service at the front desk, valet, bell service and the patio. We had the pleasure of meeting Ana Victoria from Barcelona who greeted us warmly and really made us feel welcome. The patio and pool area were great places to chill with a tropical refreshment! Some might care that the rooms are small but they have all the amenities and the bed was very comfortable. With the outstanding weather and activities of South Beach, you shouldn't be spending a lot of time in your room! Be prepared to wait for an elevator at busy times.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review on SLS Hotel South Beach, the positive feedback is truly appreciated. Ana is one of our new hires and is proving to be a great addition to the team, I will be sure to share your feedback with her. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our cozy rooms and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

After reading the reviews here that raved about the excellent service at SLS South Beach, I was really looking forward to my stay.

After staying at the SLS South Beach this past weekend, I have to say that I thought the service was very average.

The service at the front desk, the bar and the outdoor patio did not exceed the service I experienced at the Westin, where I was for a business trip earlier in the week, in any way. Coffee took 15 minutes at breakfast on the patio and the staff wasn’t particularly friendly. A woman seated near me was actually having a meltdown over her poor service. Not a big deal, but just very average service.

The waiter and hostess at The Bazaar restaurant were really excellent. We were slightly late for dinner, and the hostess went out of her way to seat us quickly. The food was great, and our waiter was very professional and friendly. The concierge was also very helpful.

The aspect I liked least about my stay at the SLS South Beach was having to work my way through the velvet ropes just to be able to use some of the hotel facilities. If you are using the hotel-guest-only-pool, you literally need to approach a bouncer with a velvet rope and be allowed to pass through to use the rest room. You need to pass through velvet ropes to get from the beach to the hotel pool area, and you need to get through velvet ropes to use the pool and bar area that is for hotel guests and non-guests. The bouncers were accommodating, but I’m about 15 years past the velvet rope scene and it felt really awkward to have to do this at the hotel I am staying at, just to use some of the facilities.

Once I got back, I asked some of my friends back in L.A. what they thought of the SLS. They are pretty trendy and young, and even they agreed that the velvet rope thing was just too much. I have stayed at the SLS in Beverly Hills, which was really nice and not pretentious at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank erica s
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Thank you for your candid review on SLS Hotel South Beach, your feedback is greatly appreciated and will definitely be used to improve our operations. In regards to our security please accept my apologies if they came off a bit overzealous, I assure you it is with only the best intention. The main purpose of having them by the hotel guest pool is to ensure that our guests are the only people that have accesses to the pool. Although I am a tad surprised and sorry to hear that the front office and bar staff did not seems as though they want to over deliver on the guest experience I will be sure to share the feedback with management. With that being said I know that if given a second chance we would be able to change your opinion on SLS South Beach, please feel free to reach out to me for future reservations so that I can see to your arrangements personally.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have been at SLS last week and we liked very much the hotel,the Bazaar restaurant and the service was perfect.The Japanese restaurant is also one of the best of Miami.
Certainly a great choice in Miami Beach .
FGrabo

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Great to hear that you had such enjoyable time at SLS Hotel South Beach, we are very proud of our boutique on the beach and all of the amazing offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed here for my sister's birthday. The hotel is super trendy, super superficial, its super South Beach. If that is what you are looking for because you have never done the 'South Beach' thing, then go for it. But for those of you who have been there, done that, keep it moving.

The hotel seems like it has just tooooo much stuff, on a small place, with no room; too many things stuffed into a tiny property. The minute you walk in, you feel like you are in the middle of a crowded restaurant. Its kinda of annoying, because you miss the front desk check in completely. Then you walk further into the hotel to enter into another dining area which leads to an outdoor bar, which leads to another sushi place. There is an infinity pool off of the bar with rooms by the pool. Why anyone past the age of 25 would stay in the pool lined rooms is beyond me. It is beyond noisy. Even entering and exiting the hotel is a chore.

The food and drinks at Katsuya are incredibly tasty but ridicously expensive. Be careful because they throw in a 18% tip on to everything.

The service is great. Absolutely. This is the one thing that sets it apart from most South Beach businesses. Even when everything was super packed and busy, the room service people kept bringing us ice for our drinks. They call you when you car has arrived from the valet. And they are very attentive to your needs.

The room was decorated very nicely. Think princess art deco except everything is in colors of grey, silver, and white. However, the room was tiny. It was ridiculous how small it was. There is no space whatsoever. The tv is on the wall which you can touch if you are laying on the bed. There is a huge sofa running the length of the wall which seemed over the top when there was no space. There are no closets and the bathroom is just silly and small. If you were planning on staying in a room with more than two people, good luck. I hope you guys really get along.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thanks so much for your honest feedback about your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. Based on your comments, we’re taking the time to make a number of changes at the hotel that will help ensure a flawless experience for your future visits to South Beach. It is always our top priority to guarantee that you enjoy the best Miami has to offer, in boutique luxury and comfort. We hope we get the chance to welcome you back again soon and sincerely thank you for taking the time to write your very helpful review.