“Awesome staff & great stay”
Review of SLS South Beach

SLS South Beach
Ranked #41 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was staying at the SLS Hotel South Beach on Collins Avenue a couple of weeks ago, and it was a great overall experience. From the valet guys to the front desk (Jamie is a star!) and onto the restaurant staff, everyone was super friendly and helpful. The rooms are small but cozy and clean, and the restaurants are superb - it feels like LA meets NYC meets Miami here - Katsuya of course is one of my all-time favorites in LA where I live. It also helps that the hotel is a bit of a 'scene' especially after dinner and beautiful people are abound... but don't feel intimidated you will most certainly feel beautiful too after a couple of cocktails sitting on the outside balcony in the warm wind coming from the ocean surrounded by sexy Brazilians and listening to relaxing house music! I'm going back very soon...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear travelkai3 thank you taking the time to review SLS Hotel South Beach your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for the kind words about Jamie she is one of our shining stars at the front desk, I will be sure to share the feedback with her. I am glad that you were able to dine at Katsuya, on your next trip you must try Bazaar another wonderful dining experience. It brings me great joy to know that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Great location. Haute couture look and feel. Great clients that span the age spectrum but all sophisticated. The day party at the pool was made special by our servers Britney and Hasan, who teamed up to meet my wife and I's every need. The food and drinks were great at the Hyde Beach pool scene. What would you expect from a place that had a drink called, Love Unit??? The sangria and whole red snapper where great as well as terrific salads and fries. Great place, I'll be back!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Dear Ksykes, thank you for taking the time to review to review SLS South Beach. We are very proud of our little boutique nestled in the heart of south beach. Thank you for the kind words about Britney and Hasan I will make sure to share the feedback with the. I am glad that you enjoyed your time and Hyde and look forward to welcoming you back to SLS soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Just returned from a long weekend stay at the SLS, 11/7 – 11/10/2013. We have stayed at many various properties in the area, the last 3 or 4 trips we stayed at the W. We thought we would try SLS since we heard so many good things about the property.
We arrived early on Thursday, the 7th. The Front Desk Staff were very nice and helpful. Our room was not ready, but we were able to change and use the pool / amenities. The young lady, Pam, who checked us in, also took the time to show us around the property.
The upper pool of the hotel is nice but only has one side for seating. If you like the sun it is sparse. We spent the day at Hyde Beach Pool, located just beyond the main pool. It was more spacious and had great areas to enjoy the sun. The servers / runners were all very nice and accommodating. We had the pleasure of having Shanna and JP wait on us. They both provided excellent services.
When our room was ready we picked up the key, no one showed us to the room to make sure everything was okay. We booked a “Premier Ocean View King, High Floor”. The room was comfortable but small and I mean small. There was no closet – a piece of furniture with draws on the bottom, a mini bar on one side and on the other a bar across the top served for hanging close. The bathroom had little to no vanity space, although the shower was spacious. The only positive about the room was that it did provide us with a nice ocean view. Room #1003 if you want a nice view.

A few of the amenities listed on the SLS website for this room category included: an IPad and High-speed WiFi and MP3 connectivity. There was no IPad or MP 3 connectivity, we didn’t even have a clock. Certainly if these were in the room they were nowhere to be found….
On Saturday we rented a daybed at SLS Hyde Beach for their Pool Party. It was very organized and the staff were very accommodating. LOTS OF FUN!! Once again we had “JP” as part of our service team. He is a really nice guy and very hard worker. His service, both on Thursday and Saturday was commendable. Hyde Beach is lucky to have him on staff…
We did breakfast at the Terrace. Service is very slow – waited way too long for coffee -but the food was good. The Manager, West, greeted the tables and made small talk. He was very nice.
Some notable negatives: (1) If you go the Hyde Beach Club, be careful where you set your drink. My drink was right beside a waitress swept it up before I was even half way done with it. (2) Drinks are very expensive – We ordered Tequila with OJ & Lime Juice with a splash of Cointreau. When we got our bill not only were we charged for the cocktails both they added an extra $13, per drink, on for the Cointreau.

Overall a good weekend, but would I stay at SLS again, probably not…..

Room Tip: Room 1003 - Extremely small but nice view...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks so much for your honest feedback about your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. Based on your comments, we’re taking the time to make a number of changes at the hotel that will help ensure a flawless experience for your future visits to South Beach. It is always our top priority to guarantee that you enjoy the best Miami has to offer, in boutique luxury and comfort. Thank you for the kind words about JP and the team I will be sure to share the feedback with them We hope we get the chance to welcome you back again soon and sincerely thank you for taking the time to write your very helpful review.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have been coming to South Beach twice-a-year for the last few years and have stayed at many different South Beach properties, primarily due to my wife's business travel. She is the most laid-back person that I know. Before she booked a room at SLS, I told her that many TripAdvisor reviews join indicated that the SLS rooms were rather small, and she replied, "We have stayed in South Beach many times; we are accustomed to small rooms." Once we arrived at the property I felt that we were given the once-over look from head to toe, and we were deemed not chic enough to stay at the hotel. My wife told me I was exaggerating, and because she is the voice of reason, I zipped my lips. We arrived at our room only to find the tiniest hotel room either of us have ever encountered (and we are 20+ year seasoned travelers). This room is small even compared to Manhattan standards. The deluxe city view queen room measured 12' x 13' and featured a double bed, no closet, no chair, one bedside table, no desk, and the second-smallest bathroom I've ever encountered in a hotel. There was a 3' pathway on three sides of the bed, and no dresser to place clothing. To be fair, the design and quality of the furnishings and accessories were very high-end. My wife contacted the front desk and asked for a larger room, which was eventually (and begrudgingly) offered at a higher room rate. This room was larger, but I consider it smaller than your average Marriott or Hyatt. While we have a higher-than-average income, we consider ourselves average folks. I'm a Brooks Brothers kinda guy and my wife is a J. Crew/Talbott's kinda gal. We are not the kinda folks who dress like trendsetter. We are not hipsters, and my wife does not dress like she is a cast member of the "Real Housewives of Miami." Because of this, I feel that we were treated like the "red-headed stepchildren" of SLS guests. In fact, we were asked to not walk through a certain part of the pool area to access the beach after getting the once-over look by the "pool hostess." When we asked for a one hour late checkout (on a Sunday), we were told it would cost a half-day's room rate. In my opinion, if you are a skinny jean wearing tattooed hipster wearing the current collection of a chic designer, you will be welcomed here with open arms. If you are from the heartland of America and consider yourself a "regular guy (or gal)," you will feel uncomfortable and that you are being judged by your level of hipness and chicness." This hotel is the equivalent of the beautiful person you meet and fall for, until they open their mouth and talk: very attractive, with a very bad soul.

Room Tip: Specify that you do not want a room on any floor that ends with either 06 or 08 (for example, 1006 o...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Advanceman
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review SLS Hotel South Beach your feedback is greatly appreciated and taken very seriously. In regards to the room sizes I will be the first one to admit that we do not have the biggest rooms on the beach, the staff are well trained to make sure our guests are informed of this so they do not feel misled. In regards to your room type you did book our queen category rooms which are in fact the smallest rooms in the entire property. We do offer king rooms and villas that offer significantly more rooms which I am sure would be to your liking. I am very sorry to hear that you did not feel a warm welcome from the staff, something I assure you was an isolated incident and not indicative of the staff as a whole. With that being said I will address your concerns with management so we can use the information to grow as a hotel. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel to try out one of our other room’s types so you can really enjoy everything SLS South Beach has to offer.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

You cannot be disappointed by this place!! The hotel is perfect, the staff are out of this world with friendliness and genuine interest in looking after your every need, the most pleasant and happy atmosphere of any of miami's best hotels! The good was fantastic , the facilities were perfect, sushi at the Hyde beach club is a must......I cannot say anymore except you will not be disappointed and only deleted by your choice to stay at sls!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank stevesimmance
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Stevesimmance thanks for taking the time to relay your most recent experience at SLS Hotel South Beach, your feedback is greatly appreciated. It brings me great joy to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and also felt a warm welcome from the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are small but the SLS has one of best showers in South Beach. If you are looking for a property that is where the nightlife starts then this is the place. From Hyde Beach during the day, early evening cocktails at Bar Centro and back to late night drinks at Hyde Beach before the clubs then this is the place for you. The greatest thing is, is that you get access to all of it (without the BS velvet rope attitude) if you are a guest at the hotel. I thought the service was phenomenal this time around - big props to the best bartender in Miami Beach, Karen, who combines service with a smile effortlessly and makes a mean "el hombre". Also her dynamic partner in crime Julia keeps the bar in check, and makes so many cocktails in a night she can't even keep track.

Truly a fun property in the heart of south beach that has it all- great scene, fun pool and nightlife. You hardly ever have to leave.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thanks so much for your kind remarks about your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed HYDE, it really is a great atmosphere out at the beach. We work very hard to create a Luxury experience at the pool whilst making it a fun time for all of our guests. It is our goal to make sure that our guests enjoy the spectacular sights, sounds and tastes of South Florida. Thank you for the kind words about Karen I will be sure to share the feedback with her. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Donald at the Front Desk was very helpful! Super Nice!

Food was great at Katsuya and the hotel Restaurant.
Hyde Beach pool party on Saturday was Entertaining!
Neil @ Hyde Beach was very accommodating!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Mary T thank you for taking the time to review SLS Hotel South your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for the kind words about Neil and Donald I will be sure to share the feedback with them both. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself at Hyde and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.