“Elegance, Chic & Stylishness”
Review of SLS South Beach

SLS South Beach
Ranked #37 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Visalia, California, United States
“Elegance, Chic & Stylishness”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband & I had a few days layover in Miami area and chose to stay in Miami Beach at SLS Hotel. We have stayed at The SLS Beverly Hills Hotel and were very pleased.
Location, Location, Location , you are right were everything is and not where everything is, your choice. The SLS hotel is centrally located near restaurants, shopping and all that's Miami Beach, yet both the SLS Hyde pool & SLS Beach area are calming & private as you want.
We had the chance to visit with our daughter & friend returning from a well earned vacation upon completion of Pharmacy school in San Francisco along with our son & other daughter both attending a wedding in Miami Beach area.The staff helped us with finding a last minute reservation at a wonderful Italian restaurant , Dolce, near the Hotel. Great meal , outdoors & enough room for all our guests.
The SLS Hotel staff saw to our every need when ever the opportunity arose.
Our room was on the 9th floor , corner room and had a wonderful view of the ocean & beach.
We dined one evening at Katsuya, one of the restaurants located at SLS Hotel. If you vist Miami Beach you must dine here, great service, great food and wonderful specialty cocktails. Must tries are the Watermelon Cucumber Mojito or The Burning Mandarin!
We are planning another trip out to Miami Beach and our plans will include staying at the SLS Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Cheryl C thank you for taking the time to review to review SLS South Beach. We are very proud of our little boutique nestled in the heart of south beach. You are correct we really do have a prime time location, that allows our guest to easily access everything South Beach has to offer. I am glad that you were able to experience Katsuya, It is truly amazing how Master Chef Katsuya skillfully blends Japanese flavors to please the Palate. We look forward to welcoming you back to SLS soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel is special..apart from it winning a Conde Nast Top HOT hotel award for this year, and apart from the amazing design of the hotel...the staff here rock! When I checked in I thought 'Delano-esque' attitude - all good looks and space cadet service. WRONG! Every single person at this hotel who works here was friendly, courteous, efficient and happy to be working...and reflected the name/promise of the hotel (SLS as above). In particular, the front desk - the bar staff and the conference support teams were amazing! I was here for a 3 day conference and the staff looked after us and made us feel welcome and supported...on top of that, when we had our 'down time' - the hotel was excellent as a place to relax and have fun... The concierge was excellent with recommendations and nothing seemed to be too much trouble.

The rooms are small - but very thoughtfully designed. The ocean views all seem to have King Beds and the city facing ones have two twins...but all are stylish. The bathroom rain shower is notable, as is the mini bar, open 'closet' and the quality linens, towels and bathroom amenities. The pool is laid back and trendy - more of a wet nightclub on the weekends - and the HYDE area is the party centre on thursday, friday and saturday nights. I got to see the Lenny Kravitz designed suite/penthouse - awesome! Worth the splurge if you want to impress! And, the tiny features of the hotel really show off the Starck imagination at work... monkey's on chandeliers, real time photo frames and lenticulated apes a mexican wrestler masked Bull.... the food is fantastic in all the restaurants, and the bar serves amazing cocktails!! You can't go wrong staying here if you want style and want to party... the hotel is NOT for those searching for peace and quiet as a retreat!

I have to say - one of the best hotels in the world for beach, style, fun, food, drinks, partying and sunshine! and - the staff truly make the experience complete!

Room Tip: Ocean view - corner rooms are best.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind remarks about your stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. We’re really proud of the warm, intimate boutique atmosphere we create at the hotel and we’re so glad to hear you enjoyed your luxury visit to the vibrant center of South Beach, Miami. Every day we strive to make our home feel like yours, while exposing you to the spectacular sights, sounds and tastes of South Florida. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and I will be sure to share your review with our team.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Run away!!! As fast as you can!

I don't even know where to begin describing how utterly terrible this hotel is! We've stayed at so many great hotels, and this was certainly not one of them. Our room wasn't ready (no biggie) , so your luggage is jammed into the staffs area in the basement. It's hilarious to try and retrieve your bathing suit while the office staff is working and glaring at you. Plan to wait 15-20 minutes every time you need an elevator,which is the size of a thimble. It's packed with guests, porters, room service plus carts, housekeeping, Everybody!!!

Speaking of tiny, your room is the size of a closet...interestingly enough, there is NO closet or dresser, just a few hangers. Not even the sexy mirror on the ceiling or two person shower could make up for the lack of square footage.

The worst part of the entire experience is the hospitality!! There are no personal touches here. I repeat, you are only a number in the game here. Just a few cordial staff and some occasional pleasantries. Managers look like zombies in smartly dressed suits. No eye contact, never a hello. No one remembers you, after days of being here. The pool concierge asked us every single morning and late afternoon if we were guests and had our room key!! She saw us a zillion times!! There is a small (recurrent theme here) pool reserved for guests. Get chairs by 8 am or they'll tell you there are none left and you'll have to purchase(yes, buy) chairs at the second tiny pool, where they sell chairs to the public. We were quoted a "discounted" $400 by Dustin for two chairs. Ridiculous! When coming back from the beach security grunts "Key!" To identify you as a guest...how about "welcome back, nice to see you?!"

Speaking of ridiculous, the food is a precious mess! You'd better like "frozen blue cheese sandwiches," or "foie gras PB & J." Not kidding. At the beach, my diminutive chicken sandwich was presented wrapped sixty times in Saran Wrap, just like high school. The cocktails saved the day, and the beach servers (Gustavo) were great, however. Food rules abound everywhere....you can't get a sushi roll in the open air dining three steps away, separate venue in same hotel. Such and such menu is only available after six pm (it was 5:49!). "This menu is only for the pool"..on and on and on!

I was waiting to be told I was punked....never happened. Do yourselves a big favor, and go stay at Delano (my usual choice). They remember and acknowledge you by name, the staff is uber-trained for the customer, the food is delicious and unpretentious, the pool is reserved for guests only (chairs always available), and you'll get a huge walk-in closet for your best threads.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Travelsavvy60763
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Travelsawy thank you for taking the time to write a review and relay your experience at SLS Hotel South Beach. Guest feedback is taken very seriously and though the feedback was not positive we appreciate it as it will help us to grow and improve as a hotel. I am deeply sorry to hear that you felt that the hospitality was subpar. We truly believe that in the South Beach hotel market where there are so many boutique hotels to choose from, hospitality and service is one of the main ways to set ourselves apart from the competition. Instead of making excuses for where and how things went wrong I would truly appreciate the time to speak with you personally and see if we can get you back to the hotel so you can really enjoy everything that we have to offer. From your username I am unable to find your profile, I urge you to reach out to me at ayo.akinsete@slshotels.com to see how we can make this right.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel location is the best one, it's the heart of south beach! Easy and convenient access to shopping, dinning, and entertaining areas!!!
Rooms are gorgeous, staff is professional and very friendly!
Pool area is very nice, service everywhere beyond outstanding
I loved my dinners at Katsuya and lunches at Bazaar
Club Hyde is great, day and night, you are welcome there, and as a guest of the hotel, you can escape standing in line and walk right in...
I am big fan of SLS, I stayed a lot in Miami in the same area, but since SLS opened its my first choice!!! Thank you SLS MIAMI

Best regards,
Iryna Ryshchenko

• Stayed April 2013
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Iryna thank you for your kind words about SLS South Beach, the feedback is truly appreciated. It pleases me that you were able to experience some of our restaurants. We try to be a one stop shop for our guests, offering something for everyone. Whether it be a fine dining experience at The Bazaar, sushi at Katsuya or a party at Hyde Beach. With so many options we strive to make sure that our guest’s interactions at all venues are seamless. We look forward to welcoming you back soon the hotel soon.

Springfield, New Jersey
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Hyde beach was awesome. Great DJ, great service. Saturday afternoons are crazy. Thank you to Neil for going over and above to make the day that much better......

Donald at the front desk really made sure our stay at the hotel was relaxing and was able to provide any accommodations to make our stay perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind remarks about your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed HYDE, it really is a great atmosphere out at the beach. We try very hard to create a Luxury experience at the pool whilst making it a fun time for all of our guests. It is our goal to make sure that our guests enjoy the spectacular sights, sounds and tastes of South Florida.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I did my twice annual visit to South Beach over the last five days and checked into the SLS Hotel South Beach for the first time. Overall I have to give the hotel good reviews for atmosphere, staff competence, responsiveness and the facility. However, the SLS gets a lower score when it comes to food/menu, fitness/spa services and housekeeping.

First, the hotel is bright and new and beautifully designed. Nearly all of my interactions with the hotel staff were positive, I found staff to be engaging and very helpful from the front bell stand to pool-side. Specific stand-outs for me include: Nick at the bell stand, Celia, Lisa and Jeff at the pool. Also, a slightly awkward situation brought me into contact with Donald Tucker in security at SLS who I found to be personable, efficient and extremely professional.

If you plan to stay at the SLS take into account the hotel's main building offers exceedingly small, compact rooms. These rooms offer no closets and very tight bathrooms. Also the housekeeping schedule is somewhat erratic, turn-down service is late at best (sometimes non-existant) and there is a reluctance to provide the requisite towels and other supplies.

Also be clear, this hotel has only the tiniest room I've ever seen pass as a fitness center and there is absolutely NO SPA. The marketing materials claim that SLS offers a first class spa experience, this is anything but the case. If the SLS wishes to continue to provide spa type services, it would be better off just telling guests that they may book a massage through the fitness center- this would be the truth. Other nearby hotels, such as the Delano, actually try to do a quality spa; SLS can not compete with them at this time.

The SLS has no real lobby. This is odd as the space that might serve this purpose is set up as a dining area (just to the right of the entrance) and so there is no natural area to hang out, meet friends, wait for a ride, etc. Likewise, there is no natural bar lounge area that is indoors- although the rear terrace bar is quite pleasant.

Finally, while breakfast at the hotel is passable, lunch is quite underwhelming and menu offerings are quite limited. At the pool the menu offerings are also unfortunate and, I think the prices for food and drink are far too high- even at South Beach prices.

I think that this could be a absolutely first rate hotel with continued shake-out and real attention to detail.

Room Tip: I didn't but try the suites that are available in the hotel's newly constructed structure ov...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael U
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Michael, I appreciate you taking the time to review SLS Hotel South Beach. From the sound of your review I believe you stayed in one of our premier ocean view kings, which are not known for their size but more for the spectacular view of the ocean. We do have other rooms types that offer significantly more room than the one that you were in, such as our Villas that are located next to Hyde Beach. Though our spa is not of the traditional set up, many different spa treatments can be booked at our fitness center which is then conducted in our spa rooms located on the 3rd floor. The next time you visit Miami, I would love for you to experience our spa services, which I am sure you will find comparable to other boutique luxury hotels in the area. Thank you for the kind words about our staff members; I will definitely share it with the specific staff members.

Regards,
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We used American Express deal of 4 nights in SLS. Continental breakfast was really bad, couple pastries and a fruit bawl-you get better breakfast in HolidayInn. The rooms are new and clean, but smaller than in Europe plus bathroom sliding doors have spaces in between them and walls, forget about bathroom privacy.
Have to say, that the pools were great, plus wonderful tanning beds on the beach. They have a pool party on Saturday, 250$ drink and food minimum for 2 people.
If you are looking for some fun time without living your hotel-this is the place. For relaxation I would go elsewhere

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristina P
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Kristina
Thank you for taking the time to review SLS Hotel South Beach. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our continental breakfast provided by award winning chef Jose Andres. In regards to the pool we have two. One which is for hotel guests only, the second being at Hyde Beach where we have dedicated chairs for guest that do not require a bar minimum. I hope that I can welcome you back to the hotel, to try some items from our a la carte breakfast menu and also enjoy the pools.

Hotel Manger