“The Hotel From Hell”

Ranked #37 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The Hotel From Hell”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I arrived Saturday aftrernoon, despite AMEX guaranteeing that Platinum reservations give you at 12 noon check-in the room wa not ready until 4 pm. I had lunch from a very limited menu ($95 for one). When the room was ready, my travel companion had arrived by then and we were shown our room. Nice, but clearly meant for people who were only coming to spend the weekend as there is no closet space, just a rack. We went for a walk to see if things had changed on crazy Lincoln, and it had not. We walked back to the hotel, only to find a rope across the entrance, we showed our room key, at which point the guard asked by name. He pulled a piece of paper from his pocket and told me my name was not on his paper. After arguing with him we got in and went to the front desk immediately, and received the standard apology and a half bottle on wine sent to our room.
We went out to dinner and came back and the hotel was hosting Music week crap, so the house music was banging and shaking the walls of our room. It lasted until well after midnight, so anyone not connected to it was a prisioner in their room. All of the pubic spaces in the hotel were dedicated to the event. I looked longingly from my window over to the Delano next door as the guests were enjoying the pool. On Sunday, the incidents repeated themelves snarky acting hotel workers fake apology from the staff, little access to hotel facilities. On Monday, we saw them setting up for yet another day of loud music and went out to the beach. I needed to use the restroom, so I came back to the gate, which now had a security guard, he said i could not get in that gate but had to go around to the side gate. I went to the side gate and the guard told me i could not get in that way, but had to walk all the way to the front door. I went to the front, go the now stupid apology and ot arm bands which were to allow us to enter unruffled. After using the restroom on the lower level, I started to go back to the beach, but this time the staff would not let me out of the hotel, a manager appeared and told the guard he had to let hotel guests through. I finally called AMEX as they should have known the festival vents were taking place at the hotel and warned us in advance. I am moving to another hotel today, if i can find one. This place stinks to high heaven and should definitely close and start over. I got a call from the manager, met with the marketing manager and got a call form the head of security. I want to leave this hell hole.

10 Thank dhense
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Dhense,
Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience during your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. Our goal is to provide you with unparalleled service and amazing amenities.
I can assure you that your feedback will be addressed so similar occurrences do not happen in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Savor life slowly
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Mattituck, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I recently got back from a lovely vacation in Miami with my daughter. We do a trip every year, and like to experience a different hotel when we go to Miami. This time we chose the SLS. Our flight arrived early so our room was not ready when we got there, which is never a problem for us, as we always travel light. After reading a Trip Advisor review, I mentioned that we did not want room 301. The young lady at the desk said it was one of the larger rooms and I commented that I did not want a view of the air conditioning unit. She said "you must have read Trip Advisor." Yes we did! The hotel is beautiful. Retro but elegant. We changed into our bathing suits and headed for the beach passing two large pools with lots of loungers and also private cabanas. There was also a cool bar that I would have liked to bring home, retro beachy. We went down to the beach where we were greeted by Berlin and John who ran the beach area. We were taken to two comfy lounge chairs and a sweet pink and white umbrella. Each day we went to the beach, we were greeted by our first names. On the beach there are people that will take your food and drink orders. We ordered a drink and a hamburger. The drinks came first and the burger came 1 hour later, not good! The desk called and said our room was ready. we stayed in room 310 which overlooks Collins Avenue. The room was nice but very small with no closet and two drawers, one of which had the safe, iron and hairdryer in it. The bathroom was good size with a large shower with two different shower heads at either end. One day they cleaned the room and forgot to leave towels but were prompt bringing them up to the room. There are a number of bars on the property as well as a couple of restaurants. We did have breakfast at the hotel on morning. You could order from the menu or have a cold buffet. My daughter had the buffet which was filled with alot of sweet chocolate pastries and granola. Not very appatising. I had the eggs benedict which was served with a whipped hollendaise sauce. It was so soupy, I had to use a spoon. Because we ate outside, we were treated to the smelly garbage truck picking up the nasty garbage. Not very nice. After that, we dicided to eat of the property. All in all the hotel is nice, but they need to step up the service.

Room Tip: There are 12 floors. We stayed on the 3rd floor on the street side. I would think the beach side mig...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jmaguire795636
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear jmaguire795636
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. I have shared the details with The Bazaar General Manager as well as the team at Hyde Beach. Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations.
If I may ever be of assistance in the future please feel free to contact me directly.

Savor LIfe Slowly,
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I flew down to Miami looking to get away from our busy lives in NYC. We chose the SLS South Beach hotel and moved heaven and earth just to arrange this trip due to life circumstances.
Once we arrived in Miami, I called the hotel right away to give them a heads up we would be checking in early. Once there, they still made us wait an hour before checking us into our room. We got a room at the end of the hallway, I didn't mind the layout of my room, we were quite comfortable. I even did some yoga in the room one day. The accommodations and food were fine. However, I believe that this hotel should provide better service considering the clientele they attract with their prices.
First day there, Sunday, it was cold outside and the hotel was not busy at all. We walked over to the Hyde Beach pool trying to find our way to the beach when the host, a young, long dark haired african american young woman with sun glasses, a clip board, and an attitude came over to reprimand our presence despite the fact we were PAYING to be there. Let's say this hotel staff is young and perhaps feels that I the guest, am blessed with being in their all mighty presence. I spoke to my husband about his perception on her attitude, and confirmed it wasn't just me who got the unwelcoming feeling and attitude. My husband agreed that it wasn't just me, the employee at the hotel was rude with her treatment toward us.
Same Sunday, March 3rd 2013 (just in case management decides to look into the poorly behaved staff that day) hotel was deserted, we wanted to lay down by the pool, picked a couple of chairs and started getting comfortable, when a Hyde beach employee with curly long hair, young man, asks us if we spoke to the host, because these chairs, in the front row of the pool on a weekend cost $300.00 to sit on. I look around, there are just about 3 other couples in the entire space, and all these chairs were vacant. The young man seeked the host, the rude girl from earlier when we were finding our way to the beach. She came over to us and I asked her, can we sit over there? and she put up her finger, looked away, and walked past me almost physically running into me and didn't answer me. She walked back again past me, said excuse me, and didn't answer but kept on walking without any answer or interest in being a gracious host as I assumed. You see, this is were I am most crazy, because I work in the industry and I know that kind of attitude does not make a business successful. Anyway, once we were getting set to sit, the young man who advised us on the cost of the front row, starts talking to us about these two girls who were "bit**y and difficult" (they had just been told the same thing by the host (the rude african american skinny girl), these two girls however, sat on the chairs anyway and refused to pay, according to this young man who felt we wanted to hear all about it. See, as a guest, on my first hours at the property, I don't want to hear your thoughts on other guests. I already feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, and judged and criticized, by none other than the people my rack rate is feeding. It's not why I'm paying to stay at this property, I flew across the continent and it wasn't to get this low low low and unprofessional level of service!! Especially at the cost!
Later when the server, a young short, hispanic girl, also a bit unprofessional said to my husband and I, "Oh you're a cute couple, I wanted to tell you guys, because we (the staff) were all talking about the guests, you know, you come and we judge everyone".
Let me tell you, we did not go to Hyde beach pool again after that terrible morning there. We opted for walks on lincoln road mall and the beach.
In addition to this, we were in a room without an iPad, we called three times to get it, because without it you have no idea how much a refreshment is in the fridge, and considering our experience with the chairs at the pool, I wasn't risking my budget for an overpriced refreshment. We enjoyed the privacy and location of our room, we wanted to order room service a couple of times, the iPad never came. In addition, I lost a winter hat I had when I came into the property. It was in my luggage and it never made it out of the hotel. So even though the food at the bazaar was good and we liked our accommodations, I would not recommend it. Because those chairs by the pool cost 300.00 on a weekend, whether people are there or not. and are free Monday-Friday (what is the logic behind it?) . This hotels' staff knew of these complaints and didn't do anything about it upon check out, just a wave good bye and claiming payment was all they cared about.
I would not recommend it, I would not return. The staff was so poorly trained. If they only focused on providing better service, maybe guests would be more inclined to tip and return and recommend the hotel. Instead of trying to charge premium for ammenities that should not be charged to anyone. And for the false advertisement on ammenities they widely advertise on the web and once in the property (theiPad) Eeek.. I hope a manager writes back to this review. I would like to know if you got my online survey after my reservation. because I certainly haven't heard back from YOU, at all.

Room Tip: I got a room at the end of the hall in the 3rd floor facing the 17th st. The bad part about this is...
5 Thank Sandra R
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear SandraR,
Thank you for taking to time to share. I am terribly sorry that this is the experience you received. I can assure you this is not indicative of a true SLS Hotel South Beach experience.
I will have Greg See, Director of Nightlife, who directly oversees Hyde Beach contact you personally.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share. It is very important to us.

Kind regards,
Connecticut
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Great location, funky , fancy place. Only stayed one night but really enjoyed the hotel. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again. The pool and bar area was very hip and had a great South Beach vibe. No complaints.

1 Thank PugConnecticut
Dear PugConnecticut
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach.
I look forward to welcoming you back real soon!

Savor Life Slowly
Paul E Cardona
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Had a great time, would definitely go back! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The 3 mile courtesy car was an added bonus, when it was raining one night, they drove us to Joe's stone crab, which no other hotel has in the area. The location was perfect!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TOtraveller9876
Dear TOtraveller9876,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice note. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please contact me personally if I may ever be of service in the future.
Savor Life Slowly,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Bad service, arrogant staff, small room without either desk or closet. My desk is my luggage.
Just bad. When you complain the room is so small and there is no desk, the answer is: there is a sopace for you to work on the mezzanine floor.

Room Tip: do not stay at the SLS
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank bourgph
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Bourgph,

I am extremely sorry to read your review. I thought after all the time that you have spent with Thomas Meding, our Area General Manager, to make you more comfortable that your stay was going well, especially after your raving reviews about last nights dinner and meeting. I also understand that you previously declined a room move and just want to ensure that you are now comfortable in your room after we made the changes you requested. Please let me know if you still would like to be moved and/or if there is anything else I may do to make you more comfortable for the duration of your stay.

Respectfully yours,

Mahwah
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I spent 3 days on business at the SLS South Beach last week and had a great time. The staff was courteous and effective. At the end of my stay I was in rush to get to the airport and forgot my wallet at the hotel. I called immediately and the hotel was not able to locate my wallet. Pain in the rear is an understatement. Last monday I received a call from Donald Tucker of security. Not only had he been able to locate my wallet, but he took the time to give me a call and personally send my materials back to me. Donald was very courteous on the phone and was patient enough to go through my wallet with me to make sure he allayed my fears about particular items. I cannot say enough about Donald's work. He was extremely thorough and efficient, and organized.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Thomas B,
Wow! What a wonderful note! Thank you for taking the time to share such kind words. I will be certain to share with Donald and his direct report.
I look forward to welcoming you back again to SLS Hotel South Beach.

Savor Life Slowly,