“Customer service tried, but FAIL.”
Review of SLS South Beach

SLS South Beach
Ranked #38 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Customer service tried, but FAIL.”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Booked this trip for boss, so experience is limited to working with the front desk and concierge. Unfortunately, they seem to still be working out the kinks of their systems, things like answering phones and making sure guests get things is alittle challenged. A few people were extremely helpful and nice, but sent multiple things to hotel, bag got lost at hotel, 2nd package sent was refused shipment - got package back a week later, and a third went MIA. Just left bad impression with me, and a cranky boss. Wouldn't recommend if your intention is to be productive.

1 Thank scalisey
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Scalisey,
I am sorry to hear that we were unable to manage your deliveries and packages correctly. I have met with the entire Front Office team and our Receiving team to revisit the entire process. Please accept my apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations.

If I may be of service please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Kind regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The only good things I could say about sls is the friendly staff and great location. As soon as we got in Alex at the front desk was kind, helpful and caring-- what is expected of a popular pricey brand such as sls. I will come back if the rates aren't so high

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Kerirayn
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Keriayn,

I am so happy to read that Alex left a lasting impression with you on your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach! I will be certain to share your kind words with the entire Guest Reception team! Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is important to me and the hotel.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Went with a group of friends to the outside pool bar where we were reserved a private VIP table. We were greeted and served the entire night by beautiful Natasha Abdul who was not only a good host but had an excellent personality on top of it which made the evening experience very pleasurable along with the amazing ambiance. Thanks again Natasha and looking forward to our next visit very soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear KalB,

I am so excited to see another note with kind words about our Natasha! Thank you for taking the time to share. I will be certain to let her entire team know.

I look forward to welcoming you back to SLS Hotel South Beach and Hyde Beach real soon.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Had a great time with my clients @ the HYDe pool this week. Everyone @ our cabana had a wonderful time. Our waitress Natasha made sure we had a great time and the service of the entire staff at Hyde pool was fantastic. Will be back next weekend again.

This is one of the best pool setups in miami ..way better than Mondrian or W !.

Dear Sha E,

I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy Hyde Beach. The weather was perfect!
I also appreciate your kind words about Natasha. We are really fortunate to have her on our team!
Thank you again for your feedback!

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 25, 2013

After waiting for months for it to open, I had an excellent stay. Service was excellent, excellent restaurants and bars, and the pool area was perfect. It was a real oasis in the midst of the South Beach life. My only complaint was that the room was small. But if you are headed there, you'll likely be by the pool, on the beach or out most of the time anyway. Great grooming products in the room.

You'll have a great time at the SLS. I did.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Saminish,
Thank you for your feedback! I will be certain to share the feedback with the entire team.

On a side note, our Ciel Products are available for purchase. Please let me know if I can assist with an order.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Great place to stay in south beach. Way cool factor even for the to cool South Beach scene. The clubs in the hotel are fun with good service and a variety of drinks. The two pools are unique. One for hotel guests and one for the general public. The double shower head was a bonus. Workout room had enough equipment for my workout routine, but may be light for a serious body builder. Want to come back when I can stay longer & not on business so I can enjoy the amenities more.

Room Tip: Higher & ocean view are the best for view. I was on the 5th floor ocean view.
Dear Ajaycfe,

What a wonderful note to read! Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at SLS Hotel South Beach.

We would be delighted to host you again. Please reach out to me personally on your next trip as I would like to thank you for your kind words and assist you with another fantastic stay!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here for Halloween weekend in 2012. It was still considered a soft open at the time but considering they were doing the official opening in just a few weeks, it was disappointing.
First of all, the hotel itself is gorgeous. Just beautiful. Feast for the eyes. I do understand what one reviewer mentioned about there not being a flow of design in the lobby. They were right. But it is still beautiful non the less. This is the definition of modern design. Wonderful. The beds and the bedding in the room is amazing. Oversized tall beds that you never want to leave. Try your best to get a room with ocean views. The windows make it look like a picture frame. Amazing. Especially sunrise. Bathrooms are with with pink acrylic details. I cant imagine any female not being in love with these rooms. Even the mini bar is set up lovely! BUT, as soon as you get in, ask them to take the mini bar out, this way you have a little closet and a free fridge. (They made this suggestion to us as soon as we walked into the room, so take advantage, they staff understands there is limited space and is accommodating). By the way, the staff that does the housekeeping, the maintenance, even the girl that checks the minibar, are exceptional. Every interaction was great. The maintenance guys, from guy fixing the iPod connection (it sucks, and he admitted this, which I appreciate as a computer geek, he also said they need to change them, so hopefully by the time you read this review they will fix this), to the guy trying to explain to us the 15 settings on the central air were beyond helpful. To the housekeeping and the room service (you need to call room service often for thins like coffee or tea and they right to your request and send whatever you need to the room with in minutes). It is odd to even notice "the little people" but in this hotel they were the highlight of the stay. So, thank you.

Now for the service outside the rooms.... oy. Let's start with the amazing basic things like a doorman when there massive, super heavy doors that need to be pulled to open to enter the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel it was early, so we thought maybe the person assigned to open doors was running around elsewhere. Later we realized that there is definitely no one assigned to do this simple, most basic service. Mind you I'm not a princess, but I do expect this at a 5 star hotel. I am also no light weight and I tell you, this is a necessity, those doors are incredibly heavy and at night there is always wind to add to the inconvenience along with drizzle. I just cant get over this.
There are 2 small pools. One is hotel only, and it has sunlight only during the morning hours. Taking this into consideration, they let you lounge at Hyde beach pool with out an issue as a hotel guest. The atmosphere there is so lovely, you never want to leave. On another level of relaxation. BUT, if you want a drink or the waitress, good luck. Give it about hour and a half from moment you crave one. It will take you about half hour to notice a waitress, she wont notice you, dont worry. And after you order your drink give it about 45 minutes to receive it. I am not exaggerating. There is a bar right when you enter the pool area and another one right under the shade between the 2 pools. I dont know where they go to pick up the drinks, but it must be down on Lincoln Road. And they're not understaffed either, that's the sad thing. They have guys walking around the pool in different tshirts (so I'm sure they have different duties) that work hard to attend to the pool guests,being super friendly, cleaning up anything ASAP, and finding out what the guests need, but most of the time, if it's a special drink or a food order, they have to find a waitress. I feel bad because you can tell these guys are actually really trying to make sure everyone is have a pleasant time, but they don't have the power to provide what we need. By the way, our first day at the pool, the girl directing people where to sit, was super helpful and sweet. She set us up on the chairs and left. The cocktail waitress comes up, I thought she would ask what we would like to order, but no, assumes we are not hotel guests and goes on to tell us something about prices of chairs or where to sit. Trying to stay cool we tell her we are indeed hotel guests so she goes to speak with the girl that sat us down. After (i guess) having proof, she presented us with what I suppose is her friendly demeanor. Not a bright girl, hopefully her 1st time working in the service industry and she will learn after this. Won't base my opinion of entire staff on one person, but do keep in mind they do employ these types here. Again, that's not luxury staff level, sorry.
The drinks at Hyde are indeed really exciting and fun. Food options are a mix from Katsuya and Bazaar, so you can try best of both worlds in one place. Amazing. We had few rolls and a cobb salad. Codd salad a bit too fatty by the end, but some might like that. Rolls are wonderful, even the naruto roll with no rice. Prob best naruto roll I have ever tried. The waitresses that work the pool are all very pretty but super different. Very very different body types, looks, most yes brunette but still, it's rare to see this variety, usually they go for one "type". I think it's pretty cool.
Try to sit on the chairs towards the beach entrance if you want sunshine.
Also note that hotel room's windows do not open. So, if you are a bit claustrophobic at times like I am, it might be a problem. I woke up with a panic attack the 1st night. Found out that only 3rd floor rooms (with balconies) had real airflow. Unfortunately, they and were booked for at least part of our stay so we couldnt move. Before cancelling the trip or moving to another hotel, we realized that if you sleep on the bed towards the window, you do get airflow. It's like night and day. So if this is an issue for you, make sure you sleep on the bed towards the window or do not stay at the hotel. It is NOT a good feeling.
There is a hotel car, good luck with that one. I'm not sure who's joy riding in it most of the time, but even requesting it in advance doesnt work most of the time. Hopefully you'll enjoy it once or twice if you are persistent.
Front desk (upon entry to the left) has free delicious coffee in the early morning. They also free apples on the counter mid week. Very cute.
Girls, keep in mind it is very dark in the bathroom to do makeup. The room has a full length mirror.
Gym has a few tredmills, some free weights, yoga blocks and a full bathroom with shower and awesome towels.
Breakfast looked poor, glad we didn't include it with the room.
Great location, half block from Lincoln road.

To sum it up, it feels like you are part of someone's economics/hospitality class final project. They read the textbooks through out the semester then were given a 5 start hotel to run for a few weeks. C+ ! You pass!

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear MashkaNYC,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. I have taken the time to share your details, specifically with the pool service, with the entire team at Hyde Beach. I can assure you that we will implement the necessary training to ensure that this type of experience never happens again. We have also added new bars to the pool deck to ensure a more timely delivery in beverage service.
If I can ever be of assistance in the future please feel free to reach out to me in person.