“Beautiful design, terrible service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of SLS South Beach

SLS South Beach
Ranked #38 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Brooklyn, New York
“Beautiful design, terrible service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here for Halloween weekend in 2012. It was still considered a soft open at the time but considering they were doing the official opening in just a few weeks, it was disappointing.
First of all, the hotel itself is gorgeous. Just beautiful. Feast for the eyes. I do understand what one reviewer mentioned about there not being a flow of design in the lobby. They were right. But it is still beautiful non the less. This is the definition of modern design. Wonderful. The beds and the bedding in the room is amazing. Oversized tall beds that you never want to leave. Try your best to get a room with ocean views. The windows make it look like a picture frame. Amazing. Especially sunrise. Bathrooms are with with pink acrylic details. I cant imagine any female not being in love with these rooms. Even the mini bar is set up lovely! BUT, as soon as you get in, ask them to take the mini bar out, this way you have a little closet and a free fridge. (They made this suggestion to us as soon as we walked into the room, so take advantage, they staff understands there is limited space and is accommodating). By the way, the staff that does the housekeeping, the maintenance, even the girl that checks the minibar, are exceptional. Every interaction was great. The maintenance guys, from guy fixing the iPod connection (it sucks, and he admitted this, which I appreciate as a computer geek, he also said they need to change them, so hopefully by the time you read this review they will fix this), to the guy trying to explain to us the 15 settings on the central air were beyond helpful. To the housekeeping and the room service (you need to call room service often for thins like coffee or tea and they right to your request and send whatever you need to the room with in minutes). It is odd to even notice "the little people" but in this hotel they were the highlight of the stay. So, thank you.

Now for the service outside the rooms.... oy. Let's start with the amazing basic things like a doorman when there massive, super heavy doors that need to be pulled to open to enter the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel it was early, so we thought maybe the person assigned to open doors was running around elsewhere. Later we realized that there is definitely no one assigned to do this simple, most basic service. Mind you I'm not a princess, but I do expect this at a 5 star hotel. I am also no light weight and I tell you, this is a necessity, those doors are incredibly heavy and at night there is always wind to add to the inconvenience along with drizzle. I just cant get over this.
There are 2 small pools. One is hotel only, and it has sunlight only during the morning hours. Taking this into consideration, they let you lounge at Hyde beach pool with out an issue as a hotel guest. The atmosphere there is so lovely, you never want to leave. On another level of relaxation. BUT, if you want a drink or the waitress, good luck. Give it about hour and a half from moment you crave one. It will take you about half hour to notice a waitress, she wont notice you, dont worry. And after you order your drink give it about 45 minutes to receive it. I am not exaggerating. There is a bar right when you enter the pool area and another one right under the shade between the 2 pools. I dont know where they go to pick up the drinks, but it must be down on Lincoln Road. And they're not understaffed either, that's the sad thing. They have guys walking around the pool in different tshirts (so I'm sure they have different duties) that work hard to attend to the pool guests,being super friendly, cleaning up anything ASAP, and finding out what the guests need, but most of the time, if it's a special drink or a food order, they have to find a waitress. I feel bad because you can tell these guys are actually really trying to make sure everyone is have a pleasant time, but they don't have the power to provide what we need. By the way, our first day at the pool, the girl directing people where to sit, was super helpful and sweet. She set us up on the chairs and left. The cocktail waitress comes up, I thought she would ask what we would like to order, but no, assumes we are not hotel guests and goes on to tell us something about prices of chairs or where to sit. Trying to stay cool we tell her we are indeed hotel guests so she goes to speak with the girl that sat us down. After (i guess) having proof, she presented us with what I suppose is her friendly demeanor. Not a bright girl, hopefully her 1st time working in the service industry and she will learn after this. Won't base my opinion of entire staff on one person, but do keep in mind they do employ these types here. Again, that's not luxury staff level, sorry.
The drinks at Hyde are indeed really exciting and fun. Food options are a mix from Katsuya and Bazaar, so you can try best of both worlds in one place. Amazing. We had few rolls and a cobb salad. Codd salad a bit too fatty by the end, but some might like that. Rolls are wonderful, even the naruto roll with no rice. Prob best naruto roll I have ever tried. The waitresses that work the pool are all very pretty but super different. Very very different body types, looks, most yes brunette but still, it's rare to see this variety, usually they go for one "type". I think it's pretty cool.
Try to sit on the chairs towards the beach entrance if you want sunshine.
Also note that hotel room's windows do not open. So, if you are a bit claustrophobic at times like I am, it might be a problem. I woke up with a panic attack the 1st night. Found out that only 3rd floor rooms (with balconies) had real airflow. Unfortunately, they and were booked for at least part of our stay so we couldnt move. Before cancelling the trip or moving to another hotel, we realized that if you sleep on the bed towards the window, you do get airflow. It's like night and day. So if this is an issue for you, make sure you sleep on the bed towards the window or do not stay at the hotel. It is NOT a good feeling.
There is a hotel car, good luck with that one. I'm not sure who's joy riding in it most of the time, but even requesting it in advance doesnt work most of the time. Hopefully you'll enjoy it once or twice if you are persistent.
Front desk (upon entry to the left) has free delicious coffee in the early morning. They also free apples on the counter mid week. Very cute.
Girls, keep in mind it is very dark in the bathroom to do makeup. The room has a full length mirror.
Gym has a few tredmills, some free weights, yoga blocks and a full bathroom with shower and awesome towels.
Breakfast looked poor, glad we didn't include it with the room.
Great location, half block from Lincoln road.

To sum it up, it feels like you are part of someone's economics/hospitality class final project. They read the textbooks through out the semester then were given a 5 start hotel to run for a few weeks. C+ ! You pass!

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear MashkaNYC,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. I have taken the time to share your details, specifically with the pool service, with the entire team at Hyde Beach. I can assure you that we will implement the necessary training to ensure that this type of experience never happens again. We have also added new bars to the pool deck to ensure a more timely delivery in beverage service.
If I can ever be of assistance in the future please feel free to reach out to me in person.

Paul E. Cardona
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

When I stayed here, I fell in love with one of the furniture pieces in our room. I didn't snap any shots of it, but on a whim, I called asking if they would be able to send me a photograph of the piece and they were so unbelievably accommodating. Not only did they send me a photograph, but they sent me several from every angle not 20 minutes later, writing down all the details they could find.

Thank you so much Divya! Not only is the hotel beautiful, but the service is truly first class.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear JL,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I am so happy to hear that you were able to get the specifics of the furniture. Divya is a great asset to our team and am glad she delivered a memorable experience.

If I may ever be of service, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My Boyfriend and I decided to take our first vacation together and we decided on South Beach for the beautiful beaches and beautiful people. SLS was my boyfriends first choice since his cousin had already been there the month before and had such an amazing time. Seriously, he wouldn't stop talking about it. He kept on and on about the pool and restaurants, as well as the night scene and staff there. So there was no talking my boyfriend out of it. When we arrived we were greeted with such great service. My boyfriend kept joking with Nicholas about his "Sensational" day/evening/lunch/swim or anything he did that day. Lol. I do admit the room was pretty small, but it didn't matter to us since we weren't spending a lot of time in it. Hyde Beach was just perfect. The ladies there truly took care of us. As intimidating as they look (Model esk) they were extremely nice and helpful. The Bazaar was excellent! Joshua was our waiter. If it wasn't for him we would have been clueless what to get. We told him what type and kinds of food we liked, and he suggested what to order. And he was right on the money! Big thanks to Joshua. That night we went to a grand mega club called LIV. Nicholas was so kind to drive us over to it. That club was insane!!! We had a BALL! Upon check out I noticed a couple of incorrect charges. When I brought it to the front desks attention, Leo was very kind enough to remove them. I am very thankful he didn't make a scene and took care of it. We were very sad to leave but had an amazing time. Now we get to go on and on about it to our friends AND my boyfriends cousin. Which we already have. Apparently they knew who Nicholas was and had wonderful things to say about him to. Though they referred to him as Mr. Sensational. All in all... Our weekend getaway was simply SENSATIONAL. (That word was too much for me! Lol!) Thank you all again! We'll see you soon!

I hope this helps people to figure out their travel plans. Wish I would have known about this site years ago. Would have helped out on a few horrible trips!

2 Thank Helen H
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Helen H,

Thank you so much for such a 'sensational' review of SLS. We always make sure each guest experience is a memorable one and I'm happy to hear that yours definitely was. We invite you and your boyfriend back any time. I'll also make sure to share this review with Nicholas and Leo.

We hope to see you soon!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

- Small rooms without wardrobe.
- Undedicated staff who promises to help you but 10 seconds later forgot all about you. After 10 days they still didnt recognise us by the pool.
- Expensive, 18% service charge always included. A coke is 10 dollars...
- Ordered ocean view got "vent view" with ocean somewhere behind

+ Great Concerige
+ Small but nice beads with wonderful linen
+ Nice hangout place with a lot of nice and good looking people
+ Good Pool and close to the Beach with free chairs if you are guest of the hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank David P
Dear DavidP,

Thank you for feedback! I am truly sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations!

I have posted your review in the hotel for all operations to see and ensure that we not repeat a similar experience.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Had to go on a short trip at short notice and with all properties being nearly sold out my friends arranged a room at the SLS which had just opened.

Beautiful setting, close to the beach, quiet (save the party music which is laring from the cabanas and not quite the same music - its multiple streams that clash!). The pool in the Hyde club is much better than the one exclusive to the hotel...and hotel guests have to go thru the hoopla/pay to use the hyde club side although they had no patrons - seems to me a lost revenue opportunity.

The room was nice near the exit stairway and therefore a bit quiet - facing the street side with a corner view of the ocean....hallways were too dark - i guess for the night owls - and the hotel elevator capacity is woefully inadequate - which seems to be a miami phenomenon

Food options are limited and overpriced; the japanese restaurant had NY pricing but underdelivered on the food quality...decided to dine out after that experience...e.g. the Delano still had the daytime elegance and quiet charm with the party scene being activated at night.

Several symptoms of teething problems: requests not being executed on fully, staff was not client-focused, too many handoffs - esp in the japanese restaurant, the AC was on the blink (maintenance guy was prompt but not the AC), the spa didnt exist, the steam/sauna room had issues (wouldnt work was very third-worldly)

Saving grace was the club/floor manager - Luke Mathot - who did his best to pull it all together and vastly improved the quality of the stay - deserves kudos.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Atul1998
Dear Atul1998,
I appreciate the time you took to share your recent stay with us at SLS Hotel South Beach. I am terribly sorry that we didn't deliver the experience that I know we are capable of delivering.

I did meet with the Director of Hyde Beach to address the conflicting music and implemented a full proof system to ensure it doesn't happen again. We also have eliminated the Food and Beverage minimums at Hyde Beach, for hotel guests only, based on your feedback. Our Katsuya General Manager, Ryan McCallum, shared the specifics with his entire team and used your review as a pulse check to regroup and motivate the team to hit the details.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I booked a king room but was given a tiny shoe box with a queen bed. I dont think it is possible to overstate how small the room was. It was so small that I had to put my overnight bag on the bed to have sufficient space to open it, which I think is kind of gross. So small that I pluggged in my iphone (on the normal short cord that comes with the phone) in the bathroom and could still use it from bed. So small that half the doorway to the bathroom is taken up by the sink. There was also nowhere to hang up clothing or to put something down (e.g. an ice bucket) other than on the floor. The room was also tucked into a corner behind the maid's dirty towel cart (which never moved). The room was, in short, a joke. A really great shower, sexy decor, a nice big tv and a relatively comfortable bed made up a little for some of the small size. Thin walls though -- I was woken up by the alarm clock from the next room and techno music from the valet area (we were on the 10th floor) at 7:30 a.m. after a late night.

Not to dwell, but I've stayed in hotels all over the world, ranging from 5 stars to hostels, and this was by far the smallest room I've ever stayed in.

Service was great though. They offered us a big resort credit to compensate us for getting the wrong room -- the hotel was full, so they couldn't move us -- and also sent up some complimentary beer to the room because I was celebrating my birthday. Beach area is nice, with really comfy loungers and attentive service. Pool area is great too. Food and drinks at the beach are delicious, but they are expensive and the menu is extremely limited and a little weird -- it's comprised at least 50% of sushi and other raw fish items which seem strange to be served in blazing sun (but were, again, delicious).

I would stay again if I had the king bed sized room (which I heard from others is also WAY too small), but only at a pretty low price and only for a night or two. Rooms are too small to stay for more than that long.

Room Tip: They are so small. At least shoot for a king bed.
1 Thank dman1708
Dear dman1708,
Thank you for taking the time to provide me with the specifics of your stay. On a positive note, I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the restaurants and the pools. I am also very excited to read about your comment on the service. This is very important to me!
On the opportunity side, your feedback has helped me to reconfigure the room type, we have 15 in the Historic building, that you were in and made adjustments so the room works for future guests. I am also researching an option to extend the wardrobe to hang clothes up on.
I would welcome an opportunity to see you again at SLS Hotel South Beach and would personally provide a tour to our other rooms, including the villas.

My very best,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Out of all of the nice hotels we've ever stayed at, I am not sure we've ever been to one that is such an operational disaster. Almost every single function of this hotel runs poorly. From the valet parking which takes 20-40 (yes 40) minutes to get your car along with surly and unhelpful valet parking attendants to breakfast at which they got our order wrong every day and some days took as long as 1.5 hours to bring our food and we had to ask three times and wait 40 minutes for regular sugar instead of artificial sweetener, to housekeeping which we had to ask 4 times to get an extra bar of soap, to the pool which only has about 20 chairs available total free of charge and many of which don't get any sun or are obscured by trees and the other chairs require a $150+ food and beverage minimum spend even for hotel guests, to the front desk which typically has only 1 person working with long lines forming, etc. etc.--the list goes on and on. We suspected that the likely root cause of this might be poor management given that the issues affect almost every area of the hotel. Sure enough, on one of the many days when we were waiting 40 minutes for our car to brought around, we saw the hotel manager come out and fist bump the valet parking attendants, lazily chit chatting, demonstrating zero interest in ensuring the operation was running smoothly--he didn't even acknowledge our presence, let alone check to see what he could do to end our frustrating wait. Not only would I never stay at this hotel again, I would not recommend it to anyone I know. And if the potential excuse for this is that there are operational kinks that need to be worked out since it is a relatively new hotel, sorry I don't buy it--they aren't even really trying. Stay elsewhere, trust us!

4 Thank HudsonRS
Dear HudsonRS,
I am not certain where to begin as your feedback is so embarrassing. I can assure this is not the level of service or offering that strive to provide every guest at SLS Hotel South Beach.

Please accept my apologies for failing on so many levels. If you are ever back in South Beach and you are inclined to try us again I would welcome an opportunity to assist you with all details.

Thank you again for your time.

My very best,