“closet sized rooms!!”
Review of SLS South Beach

SLS South Beach
Ranked #37 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed December 22, 2012

The rooms are so tiny that it destroys the entire experience of being someplace special:( The place is hip and cool but seems to try to take advantage of it young patrons by overcharging for everything.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dan000419
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and relay to us your experience at SLS Hotel South Beach. We take guest comments very seriously and though it pains us to hear your experience wasn’t positive, we see every opportunity as a chance to learn and to grow. Though situations like yours are rare, it is something we must always be vigilant about as we continually try to enrich your stay with the best boutique experience in South Beach, Miami. The next time you’re back in town, I would love the chance to personally make sure your next stay at our luxury hotel is an all-out success.

Reagards
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,314)

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Rooms are tiny. I mean really tiny. You have to step aside in order to be able to pass each other! Also, no closets . I am still trying to figure out why? I lived out of my suit case for 5 days. There is also no direct access to the beach. You have to come out of the hotel property and walk through the public beach to get to the designated area. Coming back from the beach, we were asked if we were staying at the hotel, every single time by the same person! It became very annoying after the second time.
Housekeeping service was great, they clean the rooms 2 times a day. Beware though of the "Evian"bottles of water that they say is for free but they charge you for them at the check out!
We had 2 oceanview rooms,but It was a very uncomfortable experience in general. I will never stay there again. It is a great place if you want to be seen though! Dress up and go for a drink! you will have fun.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MinouM

Reagards

Reviewed December 21, 2012

This hotel is a prime property. Location is perfect and only 1 block north of Lincoln Rd. It sits off the beach however, I actually did not go on the beach during this visit because the hotel's 2 pools were so fabulous there was no need to leave. It is gorgeous both inside and out. Dining in both restaurants was immaculate. The rooms are smaller but they are the same structure from the 1930's. There are no closets but a contemporary open hanging rack is connected to the drawer/mini bar area. Linen was premium (which I am very big on), the bed was extremely comfortable and the entire feel of the white room was awesome.

The only negative in my opinion was the extremely slow elevators. I waited in excess of 10 minutes and other patrons using the elevator made the same complaints. Staff was very friendly, warm and helpful. I highly recommend SLS as I will surely be returning myself.

There is a spa on-site however I did not utilize this service. The fitness center is just what you need for a vacation although I prefer to run the boardwalk while taking in the beautiful ocean front view.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed at the SLS and loved it! Definitely the new hot spot on South Beach. Pool is awesome. Hyde beach staff was so great. Loved the mojito push pop. But what really stood out to me was the young man at the front desk named Leo. He was the most gracious and attentive individual I've come in contact with at any hotel in a long time. He somehow persuaded me to buy these funky sunglasses that apparently are the new hot thing. That boy is fabulous! All in all the hotel was fantastic. Ask for a corner room- they are bigger. So chic and cool. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. - they are bigger.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary Ann K
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I'm reading these 4 and 5 star reviews on other travel websites and am wondering if we stayed at the same hotel.

Summary: You're going to pay a significant amount of $$$$$$$$$$ and receive very little comparable value.

I've stayed in all the high end hotels across the globe, you name it. I've worked for 4 billionaires as well and there is little if anything on the luxury circuit I haven't seen or experienced.

It started at arrival - $44 per night for valet. Even for SoBe that's incredible. At check in the front desk took the $320 per night king city view rate, and then another $140 deposit per night for "incidentals" ($420 for 3 nights). I discovered this when AMEX emailed be because they don't tell you they're doing it. That's a party foul. It should also give you a clue about in-room mini-bar and snack prices.

Arrived at 330pm, couldn't check in for an hour, front desk told us we could eat out back. Went to hotel resturaunt out back, was basically ignored for the first 15 minutes, then after getting up to speak with the bartender, was told kitchen closed. At 330pm. Not a 5 star experience so far. Told to go to Hyde resturaunt.

Go there, sit down and watch no less that 8 hotel staff walk past us before we got up and got the attention of one. Drinks were very good, ordered some salad and sushi, both were ok. Not amazing. Was 2 drinks, a roll of sushi and a plate of lettuce worth $120? No, not anywhere but in space, where launch costs reasonably drive up pricing.

Finally get to room and as many others have noted here, it's tiny. Like cruise ship small. So small that two people are touching each other when walking around the tiny little dollhouse floor.

No remote control or trash can in room. Call to front desk. Remote control showed up 3.5 hours later.

Rainforest shower was great but leaked all over the tiny bathroom floor. Bathroom sink is cool design but barely functions because the faucet is so close to the zero depth sink that I couldn't even fit my hands under to wash them. Not a 5 star experience.

Elevators - slow and small. Be prepared to wait, sometimes a very long time. Not 5 star...see a trend developing here?

3rd day the sun came out and thought that like any other hotel in SoBe I could grab a chair by the pool. Well SLS is so amazingly cool that if you want to sit in a chair in the first row, you have to commit to spending $150 minimum. That's $300 for two people. I am guessing your $300 would get you a half a bottle of vodka at SLS. Interestingly, there were no people, not even cool ones, sitting in the first row of chairs. At this point I was beginning to think if I stood too long in one spot someone would want my credit card. "bro, $100 minimum charge for breathing SLS air."

The staff are all slow, but very friendly once (and if) you get their attention. Typical SoBe beautiful people on staff, but definitely not trained to a 5 star level of service delivery. Heard "man" and "bro" out of the mouths of staff one too many times during this stay. If I'm being charged $22 a drink I will take a "sir" every now and then.

Room service - quick at 20 minutes but fried chicken was undercooked and tasted, well, disgusting. Cobb salad - bacon had a chemical, very non bacon taste, tomatoes were soft and mushy, it really appeared to have been prepped and wrapped on Friday and served to me on Sunday night. Gratuity included, paid $45 for that experience. Called 2 times to have my room service tray picked up, hour+ later gave it to the turndown staff. Not 5 star.

I will give a shout out to the pretty Polish blonde who was bar tending in Hyde one day. She was very nice, held up a conversation while tending the bar, and made a damn good drink with skill and care. That drink might have been worth the $22 solely because of her level and style of service...I really wish I could say the same for the rest of the money spent at SLS Miami.

The design at this hotel is awesome, I literally caught myself taking pictures of the place because it's that cool, but I would recommend staying nearby and walking over to check this place out (walk through), then continuing on to where prices are a more normal inflated SoBe level vice stratospheric for what amounts to nothing special in terms of food, drink, service or lodging. Whoever gave this place 5 stars needs to have their reviewing credentials yanked and be forced to eat here every day in the first row at the pool.

If you're looking for value, stay a couple doors down at the newly renovated National. If you're looking for luxury on the beach, stay at the Ritz. There is also the Surfcomber, a Kimpton hotel, right next to the SLS, I'm going to try it out next time, it looks great.

I'm sure the SLS management will respond here with apologies and promises of speaking to staff but I have come to the conclusion that words like "discount", "refund" and "comp" seem to be curiously absent from the lexicon of management responding to poor reviews of SLS.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank nomadtraveler55

Regards

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We are currently in this hotel with our two kids. We realized we made a huge mistake by booking this hotel through Expedia, as we can't change the reservation now. The room is really tiny. Our suitcases take up whatever space there was on the floor as there is no closet. I injured my knee bumping into the sharp metal edge of one of the beds as you have to squeeze between this sharp edge and the metal rack in order to get out of the room. Now I have to constantly watch our kids to make sure they don't hurt themselves. No parking means that you have to pay $45 extra per day for valet parking. No private access to the beach. The list goes on. The only good thing is the location. But if you rent a car this becomes irrelevant. Next time we'll book into a hotel with a bit more space and parking.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just got back from 4 day trip to SLS South Beach!! The hotel rocks! Very cool and hip. The Hyde Beach Pool is fantastic. Very cool vibe, DJ and Katsuya sushi pool side. The entire staff was outstanding. I have been to many hotels in South Beach, and this is my favorite!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

Dear Jeff R,

Amazing feedback!!! Thank you!!

Please feel free to reach out to me the next time you are in South Beach if I can assist with reservations in the hotel or in The Bazaar, Katsuya or Hyde Beach.

Savor Life Slowly,