“Cool hotel, hip scene, small rooms”
Review of SLS South Beach

SLS South Beach
Ranked #35 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
“Cool hotel, hip scene, small rooms”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The SLS is definitely a cool hotel in South Beach. We enjoyed our stay, it was the opening weekend of Hyde Beach which was a lot of fun. The rooms are a little small, so I wouldn't recommend staying there for more than a couple nights (no closet or clothing storage so we had to pretty much live our of our suitcases) It is definitely a scene there, so on our second day we hung out at the Delano beach club to relax a bit

1 Thank Melissa R
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Melissa R,
Thank you for taking the time to post a note.
I am glad that you were able to experience Hyde Beach. We also offer full service including Food and Beverages by Jose Andres and Katsuya on the beach with beach chairs included. I hope on your next visit you are able to experience for yourself. Thank you again for taking the time. I truly appreciate your feedback.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I recently stayed at the newly opened SLS South Beach and had a great experience! I would highly recommend this property for the sexy imaginative decor, guest service, food, drinks and fun beach location. I have previously stayed at SLS Beverly Hills which was also enjoyable while the SoBe property is much brighter with a boutique feel. I suggested my friends to join us at Hyde Beach one night and they were not disappointed! The only thing I wish they had is Ciel Spa like the SLS Beverly Hills property so we ended up having treatments at Auga Spa. However, they do have a Salon.

The guest service stood out: TJ at the Front Desk provided us a nice corner room and area suggestions. Andres at Concierge was helpful in securing restaurant reservations and the house car. Daniel at The Bazaar provided us a brief tour while Eric at Hyde Beach was very accommodating. Last but not least, Giancarlo at The Bazaar went above and beyond to make sure we were well taken care of!

Thank you for making our recent stay a very memorable one! I will definitely recommend your property to all my friends and clients! We can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room facing the ocean which is larger than the standard rooms. The dual shower head...
1 Thank David M
Dear DavidGT,
I really appreciate reading notes like yours with so many names of from our team! I will be certain we share this with TJ, Eric, Giancarlo, Daniel and Andres!!! Thank you!
We wish we were able to offer a full Ciel Spa as well but am happy to tell you that we have a fantastic Wellness program including fitness, yoga and massage all programmed here on property. Perhaps on your next visit you can experience this first hand.

Thank you again for your kind words!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We just spend 5 days at the SLS in one of their villa room. The room overlooks the pool and lounge, which at night turns into a niht club with the music so loud that you cannot fall asleep! Not being their cheapest room you'd expect a certain quality apart from a nicely furnished room.
What about their WIFI! If you are ready to walk around the room with your computer in your hands and raise it up and down so you can find a connection or try to stay connected...then this is the type of room you are looking for. Oh yes, it comes with an iPad you can use for the hotel services and restaurant bookings. Well, even after 3 calls to the reception, it was never fixed! We even had to go on "opentable" to book for the hotel restaurant!
Pool was nice, service ok, but beach service sucks. After a patient half an hour wait, I decided to
go and grab a menu myself and ask for service.
Have been regularly in southbeach over the years. This was the worst experience yet. And we had to pay for that!!!!
Were we the only one? Nop... one guy that left just before we did was also very angry at the reception staff for the same reasons....think you should hear from him too from what I understood.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost the villa rooms...expensive and not worth the price
3 Thank FriendlyTraveler514
Dear Friendly traveler 514,
Please accept my apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations.
We have made adjustments to the Wireless Access Points in the Villas to ensure a solid connection. We also recently introduced a new application to avoid a similar occurrence with the iPad.
Your feedback is very important to me and I will be certain to share with the entire team. Thank you for taking the time to share.
If you are ever back in Miami Beach I would love the opportunity to meet you in person so I can express my sincere apologies in person.

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Staff is really all that seperates a beautiful property from the next. The staff here really is wonderful and truly goes out of their way to achieve whatever it is to make the guest happy!

The rooms are NOT small - They're very well designed and well appointed and anyone that needs more space in Miami Beach needs to get out of their room and enjoy the city!

Now - One thing that is weird is that there really is no lobby ... I thought that every time I was walking to my room, I might collide with a waiter carrying plates of food or drinks. You can see into both kitchens. Sometimes, this sort of takes the magic away from the rest of what the hotel has to offer. Not a great design idea in my book, but what do I know?

AND that texting to get your car at valet just doesn't work. Give it up. The idea sounds cool, but you guys are just not there yet. It failed on me twice (out of 4 times) and I had to wait over 30 minutes to get my car pulled around - nervous that I would miss my flight on the day I check out - this could have ruined my whole experience just from one stupid text not being received ... And I did do it right, it was "system error". If it fails on me once, then I'm never ever going to trust it again. So just do away with it and save the money for another valet employee.

Other than that, this is a great GEM in South Beach and because of the staff, I will be back ... Just don't expect a text from me.

Room Tip: Ask for an ADA room if you need more space in the same room category you booked.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jrent316

Reading your note was the best way to start the day! Thank you so much for your kind words on the STAFF. We are all very proud of the team and will be certain to share your post in the cafeteria for all to read!!
We have addressed your concerns with the texting feature and have made adjustments to how the system works.
I hope on your next visit you are able to experience for yourself. Please feel free to reach out to me in person if I may be of further service.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Great location in South Beach. The rooms were surprisingly quite. We stayed for three nights with three other couples. The hotel is great with a very hip seen at night. The beach was amazing, Berlin took great care of us. The hotel pool situation is a bit annoying. The pool for guests is in the shade the majority of the day. The other pool which is open to the public who agree to spend a minimum amount on food and beverage per chair is nice, but as a hotel guest you feel like a second class citizen there. Overall we enjoyed our stay and we are glad we tried it. We are not sure we will stay there next time.

Dear John H,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about the pools. Please know that both pools are available for hotel guests as this is important to us. Our ultimate goal is to provide the best experience for our hotel guests which includes assisting you with the best location for sun and fun.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at The SLS for a few nights to get away from the disaster that was hurricane sandy. Let's start with the good first. I must say that it was a great stay experience thanks to the hotel's staff. The service I received while staying at the hotel thanks to its profesional and acknowledgeable staff made my stay a whole lot better to me and my friends. I truly must say that I will definitely be returning again. The service provided at the lobby and pool area was exceptional and I want to mention one employee of the security staff sidney who really went an extra step in providing me a friendly and courteous response when I lost an item and it was quickly returned. I will definitely be returning to this wonderful atmosphere in march and recommend to everyone the great experience that is Hyde beach bar and its awesome vibe and service provided.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Angulod,
It is such a pleasure to receive feedback like yours. I am also thrilled to hear your comments on a member of our Security team! I will be sure to share with the entire department.

I look forward to welcoming you back real soon!

Melbourne
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Having a read at some of the other reviews, you can clearly tell that some people have minimum requirements. What I learnt on this stay in Miami is that no more buildings can be built along the beach and only renovated.
Knowing this means that hotels cannot simply add floors, break down walls etc - they have to make use of what the shell is.
SLS was a pleasant surprise. Ultra chic and modern. Yes, the lifts sometimes took a while but that allowed more time to see who else was staying at the hotel and strike up a conversation with them.
Pool great. Beach great. The mega shower head - ok, can I give a star just for that at all? The bed was extremely sleepable, it was like a big cloud that you just fell into.
Even staying with a friend sharing the same room, we really enjoyed it even though space was tight.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view/pool room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Starfish13,
It was nice to read your note especially your understanding of how the Historic buildings in Miami Beach add to the experience here at SLS South Beach. More importantly, I am so glad that you had a great time poolside and that you enjoyed the shower heads. They are quickly becoming a favorite detail of the room.
I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the beach soon!