“Basic, but very nice”

Ranked #74 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Winter Haven, FL
“Basic, but very nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2006

My husband and I visited Miami Beach for the first time. We wanted some place close, but not in the middle of it all. The Cadet was the perfect location.

The Cadet was very clean and comfortable, we stayed in a 1st floor room, king bed, renovated. There was still renovation going on because of the coverings placed over the hall floors, but that was the extent of what we could see.

The only negatives were the AC was loud. The bathroom was very, very small. But again it was very clean.

This is not a plush hotel, but for $125.00/night we paid, I feel we got our money's worth.

If we had to stay here again, we would, but I would certainly try something a little more upscale.

Overall, pleased and no complaints.

• Liked — Location and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — No Complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — No Alarm clock, no Iron in room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank annabookit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2006

My fiance and I had to have a quick get away for the weekend (we're from Ft. Lauderdale) from our hectic school/work schedule and wedding planning. After reading some of the reviews for the Cadet Hotel we decided to stay at this absolutely lovely hotel. The room we stayed in was nicely decorated and very clean, the bed was extremely comfortable (I didn't want to get out of it), and the overall atmosphere was very very pleasant. I do have to thank Theresa for her excellent hospitable service. She made us feel so welcomed and made us feel right at home. Thank you Theresa!! The garden was a beautiful place for my fiance and I to play checkers and have a nice private conversation. The location is so convienent for our day at the beach and our evening out at fine restaurants and fun. We will definitly be going back for another mini vacation again.

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2006

I was just there for 4 nights. I had to move from my previous hotel which was a bit of a nightmare. I needed a hotel that was affordable and I found this last minute. What I wanted the most was to find a CLEAN place to stay and I got it. Not only clean but oh so pretty and 2 block away from the beach and a few from Lincoln. The place was so beautiful (for the price - unless it's Vegas, you can't ask for more). The pictures that they show here are bad and I'm guessing they are from the non-renovated section. You need to make sure that you ask for a renovated room. The lobby is beautiful. The whole place is very modern looking and the staff...oh how I wish everyone was like that. If she's still there, you need to ask for Teresa, the manager - so sweet. She even gave me an orchid to decorate my room just 'cause I thought they were beautiful, and offered us a complementary glass of wine at the bar. Again, this is a "budget hotel", but really, I don't see the need to spend more if you want location and a nice, clean, and pretty place to stay. Good luck!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2006

This is a good hotel, we were a little worried after reading some of the reviews but we were pleasently suprised,the decor is fresh and welcoming,the room was clean and fresh as was the bed linen,the bathroom was dressed with plenty of toillettries which were topped up every day.Our room had the wooden floor as did the one above!!!we were woken in the early hours when the guests above came in, allthough nice to look at these floors can be noisy, especialy at night.
Parking was a little expensive at $20 a day the nearby multi-story was only $16.Breakfast was included in the price had it not been then it is certainly not worth paying for.Overall we enjoyed our stay, the location is great for looking around the art deco district and collins ave.We would stay here again and would recomend this to anyone on a budget wanting a clean comfortable place to stay.

Stayed March 2006
3 Thank gillyspain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2006

This hotel looks ok, nice colours but clearly a very cheap refurb.
The staff were quite nice, the breakfast very spartan.
A hotel if everywhere else is full.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2005

Unfortunately, i must agree with most of the reviews that the Cadet is pretty bad. My husband and I were looking for an affordable place close to the beach to visit family last week. For $115/night including breakfast and a great write-up from BudgetTravel, i figured we couldn't go wrong. We did.

We were allowed to check in a bit early upon arrival (I think we were the only people at the hotel), but quickly realized that the rooms (ours was 'renovated') weren't quite up to par - 'internet' access really means dial-up (bring your own connection cable); our shower was missing the hot/cold lever; and general amentities were lacking at best.
The last straw for us was Friday morning (12/16) when my husband was informed by hotel management (i think only one woman works here!) that we were going to lose hot water from about 10am-12pm for some reason. At exactly 9:45am, all electricity and hot water in the hotel was completely shut down because the electric company was doing work outside. No lights, tv, hot water, computer for reservations, nor a way to prepare breakfast for guests. I have NEVER experienced that before.
While the woman/management was apologetic and we were able to leave after just staying one of our three reserved nights, not much effort was made to accomodate us. We paid the over-priced $20 parking fee in the 'reserved lot' (ie. a dirt patch behind the hotel fitting 4 cars) and found a better place on Ocean Drive.....

NOT worth it.

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank cmsalazar
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2005

I was concerned about this hotel after reading some of the reviews but was plesantly surprised. Fun to be greeted in the attractive lobby by a lifesized picture of Clark Gable & a freindly receptionist. The room was newly redone in art deco minimarlist style but very comfortable. TV was only negative - very poor picture.

The porch and narrow garden area were very pleasant - enjoyed our breakfast there (complimentary.) Everytime we came into reception be it during the day or in the middle of the night we were greeted by a friendly staff member behind the reception desk. Only negative was our request for a drink on the porch late one afternoon - the room menu showed a variety of wines by the glass. The only white they had was a sweet Hungarian one (forget that!) and my husband's Cornona cost $5.

This hotel felt like a little oasis yet so close to everyhting - walking distance to areas like Ocean Drive, Lincoln Mall Road and Collins Ave - in other words in the heart of it all in South Beach. Amazingly quiet when we were there.

Parking is at a premium there but I still thought $20/ night was a bit steep. But given how reasonable the room was we were OK with it.

I did notice a sign on the first room on the right "Under Renovation" so maybe that's the last one to be done...make sure to ask for one just in case!

• Stayed November 2005