“"STAY HERE, AWESOME"”
Review of Pelican Hotel

Pelican Hotel
Ranked #35 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here this past weekend after a prior hotel fell thru. I can't say enough about my initial contact to Kiara at the front desk, what a wonderful person. I was initially told there were no rooms available, and Kiara still continued to try to help us find a room in the area, who does that anymore wow actually help people. After a brief hold Kiara came back on and gave us some great news, she found a late checkout. This great ambassador of hospitality even waited by the front door as her shift had ended for us to checkin and I told her I was around the corner, again who does this. Now the good stuff we love the hotel, the room was out of this world. We stayed in the Executive Zebra Suite, Oceanfront. The room was beautiful with all you could for, clean beyond belief. The kids loved it, many pix were on Facebook by my daughter, I guess Dad did okay. The entire staff was great, thanks Lupe, keep up the great work;)

2  Thank travelinmomdad
PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear Mom and Dad,

It was a true pleasure to serve your family. Our entire team truly enjoyed meeting each and everyone of you. I'm glad you are now in the "cool Dad" hall of fame!

Frankie you did GREAT!

Te felicito por tener una familia tan hermosa.

Saludos,

Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a wrong hotel if you travel as a couple and don't wish to feel like in a night club. There is a loud music playing 24/7 in the lobby and café facing the street so peaceful meal is out of question. The facility claims to be a design hotel by Diesel, however it is rather worn down and the pix on the homepage reflect reality poorly. The service in the café/restaurant is poor - pushy on the street in order to get you in, after that mostly inattentive.

3  Thank fridtjofen

My name is Lupe Castillo General Manager of the Pelican Hotel. I apologize for the inconvenienced caused to you during your stay. It is not the practice of the Pelican to have club level music in our restaurant lobby. I have spoken to our team to immediately correct this problem.

With reference to the rooms, the artifacts in all of the guest rooms are original from the time period that reflects the room theme. We have an agreement with a restoration company that helps us maintain the codition of our vintage furniture. If you would be so kind as to share with us the details of which room you are referring to, we will immediately conduct a thorough inspection. If you do not mind, please feel free to contact me at Lupe@Pelicanhotel.com or 305 673 3373.

Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

It is amazing. I've been to Miami 3 times before and that's from far the best place I've ever been. The Hotel looks GREAT. The cleanliness is impeccable. Very Efficient and Very friendly. I'm amazed! Every little detail is taken care of. They leave information with next day forecast in the bedroom everyday. I'm definitely staying here again!

• Stayed: July 2012
PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Thank you Jullima, Our housekeeping staff is the backbone to our operation. We can confirm that they work very hard to meet and exceed the expectation of our guests. On behalf of the entire Pelican team, thank you. and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Brilliant hotel, individual rooms and lots of attention to detail.

Rooms aren't spacious but there's everything you need to have a great time, loved the bathroom and lighting.

Lots of lovely surprises, the genuine staff, the fab free cocktails (4-6pm, highly recommend the champagne cocktail and chocolate martini), the sunbeds are super comfy( better by far than the Delano ) and the towels top quality.

Location is spot on, great for people watching and a hop skip and a jump to the beach!

Will go back, looked around the penthouse.... If only I could afford it!!

1  Thank BevandMichael
PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you BevandMichael, for taking the time to write your experience at the Pelican Hotel.
The entire team looks forward to the pleasure of your return.
Lupe Castillo

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Are you open to a new experience? The Pelican Hotel. A hotel that has a funky feel to it from the moment you walk it. Now we haven't stayed at any other hotels on Miami Beach, so comparisons - nada. But we did walk past all the hotels in the South Beach section and I can say with some certainty, the Pelican Hotel is one of the better hotels in its price range. We did our homework and looked around for reviews and blogs - and this place came up very solid overall.
The staff is . . . awesome. Professional in every way from the manager who is there what seems to be ALL the time, keeping a watchful and and orchestrating the staff, which is managed by some great people like the woman who manages the wait staff, the front office manager, Miriam and Lilianne and Julio on the wait staff. Those two rocked by offering food recommendations and great service. There are ALL sorts of people that eat, drink and/or stay here, I suspect.
We are older, but not mainstream so we felt right at home with the music, the vibes of the staff and the overall feel of the place.
It's South Beach in Miami Beach that is something else - very cool, even in oppressive heat. Couples, singles, families, day trippers from FLA, homeless people here and there, women straight from the 1940'2 selling cigarettes and cigars from a tray with its gold sash going around her neck and waste, 20-year-olds out having a good time - no crazy public drunkenness from what we could see (like any vacation place, it's there).
It helps if you like music. It's playing on the first floor and in the sidewalk cafe - sometime on the loud side. This is the ONLY place I've ever been that actually turned down the music when I mentioned it seemed a bit too loud! Woke up one morning to reggae. That transitioned to soul in the afternoon. By night time it was techno, which is typical for most hotels along at street.
But our room on the third floor off to the left was totally quiet - except for the hum of the air conditioning unit, which I had off and on even during some humbling hot 90 degree, high humidity days. We got the Red, White, Blue room. Not by choice but it was great. Two laptops fit in the safe. The bathroom was retro red and white tiles, thank you very much. Industrial light fixtures, wall switches and bathroom hardware added to a pretty funky digs. The queen bed was very comfortable but our own pillows would have been better - you know how that is? The shower? Did you read anywhere else about the absolutely famous, awe-inspiring force of the showers? I could have spent my afternoon standing there under the water.
The food in the restaurant if surprisingly good. I won't bother to suggest anything because I'd guess everything was as good as what we got.
Here's a hint. Be there for happy hour between 4 and 6. Hotel guests drink for free. So have a couple of free ones and enjoy an appetizer while sitting outside (NOT on the sidewalk in order to achieve best people watching position) and feel the cool breeze off the water. A great beach right across the street for a late afternoon swim, followed by a fantastic shower back at the hotel where you are made to feel like it's home.
Tom

Room Tip: A room on the third floor will be more quiet. Or rent the penthouse . . . you only live once.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank tmhome100
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is an amazIng hotel! Only had 2 problems 1 the beach was closed
On our last day there :( because of a wedding!! No one was allowed on the beach at all! I understand it's a private beach wedding but hotel guests should've been allowed on the beach! The 2nd problem was their bath tubs are very slick and my grandmother fell and got hurt because of that. Overall this is a very clean nice hotel I will definitely go back!

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank weathernerd
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed here with 3 girlfriends last weekend and was immediately treated like family by every staff member at The Pelican, They were so attentive to our needs, welcoming and generous!!!
The rooms are SO COOL! Very original and you can tell they pay a lot of attention to detail. We stayed in the Viva Las Vegas room...highly recommend! There really isnt anything that I can even say was mediocre. The bed was comfy, tv was big and there is ipod docks in every room which liven up the pre-party!!!
OH and the shower head in the bathroom makes you feel like you're standing under a tropical waterfall....
The food at the restaurant is delicious and the bartenders make a yummy drink!
I would go back in a heartbeat!

Thank you!