“Great Retro Boutique Hotel”
Review of Pelican Hotel

Pelican Hotel
Ranked #34 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Loved this hotel! Beachfront on Ocean Dr. in the heart on South Beach. Very cool vibe, art deco building with a unique, retro decor. It was not your typical, generic resort feel but full of character and beautifully designed. Everything is a little smaller as it is an original art deco building from the 1920's but the interiors are so interesting and all of the rooms have a different theme, ours was nautical with a lot of industrial elements. The wall the bed was on was covered with old canvas sails. The beds were a bit firm for our liking but everything else was great. They give you a voucher for a free cocktail at happy hour and the "people watching" on the sidewalk cafe was priceless. Service was good too, only issue was a disconnect with valet about fetching our car but it was not a big deal. Definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was by the elevator and did not have a view. I did not want a front of the house room with...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 4, 2012

The hotel staff is very friendly, the rooms are cool but small

we stayed in viva las vegas

The bathroom was good. Loved the shower

Right across from the beach and right on the strip

The breakfast at the cafe is really really good

And the hotel had free drinks for guests from 4-6 which is great!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Location - Amazing, right on Ocean Drive in between 7th and 8th Street. Right across from the beach, and you get complimentary towels and chairs on the beach by being a Pelican Hotel resident!

Hotel - First "toy" hotel, every room is of a different theme, very fun, unique concept. We had Room 213, which was the Cowboy Coral one. Being that it is a boutique hotel, it was very small, but nice too. Large flat screen TV, complimentary WiFi, free bottle of Pelligrino in the fridge. The bathroom seemed a little out dated, but it still functioned and did it's purpose. We had nice CO Bigelow products!

Entrance to the Hotel Lobby is behind the restaurant, so will need to go through the restaurant and bar to get to it.

Everyone was very nice and accomodating, I would definitely recommend the hotel for the future!

Room Tip: We go the hotel through Hotwire, it was a great deal, so might be an option to check out for booking...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The hotel has a great location. We stayed in the King suite on the front of the building (big enough for 4 people easy. If you want to get uninterrupted sleep then the front of the building is not for you. Techno music is played on the front patio 24/7. For a guys weekend at South Beach this place is in the center of Ocean Drive and definitely should be on the top of the list.

Room Tip: Suites on the front big and lots of room with view of the ocean. Other smaller rooms much smaller.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Reception and bar staff are great! Location is spot on and our fun themed room is awesome! Owned by the guy who owns diesel clothing, it's uber chic!!!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I had the privilege of meeting the great hotel and restaurant staff of the Pelican after my post cruise - my very first impression was the "sidewalk" hostess helping to lift my suitcase as I ventured up the stairs into the hotel. Cruise ships like to "discharge" their guests by 9 AM so there is some "limbo" time before check-in. I was greeted by Mentore at the front desk and he made every effort to advise me when my room would be ready. If you don't speak English the staff at the Pelican are truly multilingual....if I recall Mentore speaks at least 4 languages ... also at the front desk was Mai who was always smiling and very patient with my de-magnetized key issues. The house keeping was excellent and the evening turn down was an added bonus. There are 28 rooms in this boutique hotel....each one has its own genre in keeping with the art deco theme of the hotel and SOBE.

I needed to make a paradigm shift.....typically I like a very quiet room...away from elevators and ice machines etc... I had to accept that this is a "party town" and the the multitude of restaurants generating their DJ music until 3 AM was a fact of life.

The real pulse of the hotel is the restaurant and bar - I had the privilege of meeting Richard and Guiseppe .. two of the restaurant managers. Over the three days I ate all my meals and observed the dynamics of what makes the " Pelican Team"....every server, waiter, bar tender and hostess work together to ensure customer satisfaction.

A special thanks to thanks Brianna(sp?) for all those great cups of water, and Diego & David - you guys are amazing at what you do!!

If I was asked to rate the hotel and restaurant out of 10 - I would rate it as 12...

My cost per night was $340 - which was $100 more than my pre-cruise hotel in Miami - but well worth it!!!

In closing....I was proud to be a guest of this hotel!

Room Tip: If you like quieter rooms - see if a corner room at the back is available.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2012

A great hotel, smack bang in the middle of Ocean Drive - it's very much at the heart of the scene on Ocean Drive (warning on noise issues) But keep reading...

The decor of the hotel is very hip and trendy. The rooms all look fab and fun. We went for the Ocean View Big Bamboo Room. The photo's on the website are a great depiction of what you will see in person. Our room wasn't very big, but big enough for a couple staying for a week. The room was very clean and the bathroom was lovely. I liked the window looking into the bedroom from the Bathroom.

As it was an Ocean View room, it was of course at the front of the hotel. So noise was quite an issue if Im honest, especially at night! As I have said above, you are right in the heart of Ocean Drive where everything is happening…the South Beach scene is very much happening along the sidewalk and at neighbouring cafe etc. Our noise complaints stemmed from the people and vehicle traffic going by the hotel and base beat of music in the distance. But hey, we were in Miami…we should have expected this!

Don't let this put you off however…just go for a room at the back of the hotel if you are worried about noise. Or get some ear plugs - I don't think the noise is anything that earplugs wont sort out! We would definitely stay at this hotel again…just choose a room at the back of the hotel.

The Pelican Cafe at the front of the hotel is a must for lunch. This is a great spot for people watching and the food is so good. The breakfast also looked very good too…though we didn't have it.

Oh and what a bonus…the hotel has free sun loungers on the beach just opposite the hotel and beach towels can be picked up from the reception.

Overall, we really liked this hotel and would definitely stay at this hotel again… but we'd just choose a room at the back of the hotel. If you want a true South Beach experience, this place is for you!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple