“Great hotel choice”

Ranked #131 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
NYC
“Great hotel choice”
Reviewed October 1, 2006

We had a great time at the Park Central. The service was wonderful, the location could definitely not be beat, and all the amenities were there. My husband especially liked the fact that you didn't have to walk through a loud crowd eating dinner to get into the hotel. The gym was also handy (if you can make it to the gym!), and the roof deck was also very cool to watch a lightning storm come rolling in. We didn't use the pool, but it was nice to have the option. The bed was pillowy and FANTASTIC! It was tough to get up in the morning! The room was spacious and bright. Certain aspects were definitely a bit worn down (the carpet could use replacing), but it was clean. My only real complaint is that the walls are very, very thin. You can easily hear what's going on in rooms around you. Of course, that's pretty common for those older art deco hotels, and it didn't bother us too much. We didn't spend much time in the room. I would definitely recommend the Park Central.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jzo77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 27, 2006

My husband and I spend a four nights last week at the Park Central and were quite happy with everything. We were in town for a birthday party, and people at other hotels had their complaints, but we were satisfied. We got a complimentary upgrade to an ocean view room, but we ended up with two double beds--which was really fine.

We had minimal interaction with staff, but everyone we encountered or spoke to was polite and pleasant. For the price and location, the Park Central was a deal we'll take advantage of again.

• Liked — The location and the rooftop lounge area.
  • Disliked — The slow elevator--I just used the stairs instead
1 Thank Sixy20
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed August 22, 2006

This hotel was in a great location and a terrific price. Unfortunately the front desk staff was "unaware" of the promotion we used to book the hotel. This promotion, taken directly from the hotel website, included spa coupons and free breakfast. The front desk staff claimed there was "no such thing". Finally after about 10 minutes of discussion someone in the hotel knew what was being offered, but "discussions" like this came up often. Hotel staff appeared to act like they were doing YOU a favor by being available.
Standard room had great beds, tiny bathroom, but acceptable.
Self park and save your self about $15 a day, parking garage is located about 2 blocks away (an easy walk) and has in/out privledges. Pool is VERY tiny, skip it, and head right to the ocean.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
4 Thank GirltravelerMD
Indianapolis
Reviewed August 21, 2006

I was here for a girls long weekend in August and we had a blast. The hotel is in a great location...right at the beginning of the Art Deco district. Therefore, you're super close to everything, but not in the middle of it. We arrived around noon, and were able to check into our rooms with no problem. We had a side room, and could see the beach/ocean from our room. We got a great deal through the hotel's website...averaged less than $100 per night, and we were there Thursday-Sunday. The doormen were very helpful, almost as helpful as the concierge. The rooms were decent...certainly not large, but more than sufficient for two women. The beds are so comfortable. I was scared to lay on them during the day, in fear I might not get back up! Very soft...so if you prefer a firm matress, you won't like the beds. But I thought they were heavenly. Bathroom is small, and needs better lighting, but that's my only complaint. The rooftop area is very nice....lots of lounge furniture and they show movies on certain nights. We never made it, but I thought it was a nice touch. Pool area is small...but nice. We spent most of our time at the beach...which is right across the street from the hotel. You pick up a beach towel from the concierge and head over to a beach chair stand on the beach. Two chairs per room are included in your room rate. Very nice. We also had breakfast at the adjoining restaurant...Casablanca's. The food was good and reasonably priced...at least for breakfast. In general, we loved the hotel and will definitely return when back in Miami Beach.

Miami Beach in general...lots of fun and an absolute party place. People are out until 4 and 5am. We hung out quite a bit at the Clevelander...great happy hour, and fun bands/djs at night. But I was glad I wasn't staying there. The dj plays until 5am...don't know how people would sleep. The Park Central was always quiet late at night. We also took the "Duck" tour, which was a lot of fun. It's an amphibious vehicle which gives you a land and water tour of Miami. It was fun and funny. Also checked out the Lincold Road outdoor mall...was a bit of a walk from the hotel, but lots of shops and restaurants. Also found the charming Spanish district...which was a block long with cute restaurants and shops. I think the street was called Espanola Way...but not sure.

Miami Beach is a great place for a long weekend....definitely adult oriented. Not a place for young kids. But for couples and singles....tons of fun!

Enjoy!

• Liked — Just about everything
  • Disliked — Lighting in the bathroom
5 Thank Kimbo812
London, UK
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Very difficult to complain when you are upgraded to a suite for no particular reason!

Large living room, beautiful furnitute, lovely wood floors, good mini bar selection, nice linens but the bed is a little bit creaky. If we came back to South Beach we would stay here again.

Only slight negative is the room service from Casablanca (restaurant next door) - very slow.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here!
4 Thank whatupboo
Reviewed August 13, 2006

When we arrived we were told that our room was not ready and that we had to come back in FEW HOURS....hmmmm, we looked at our luggage and asked what are suppose to do with our luggage....they finally said that they would put it up for us until the room is clean. We came back a few hours later drained and our room was ready. The doorman was really sweet and nice, he was one of the friendliest there. Our room was cute and clean. Nothing fancy but it was efficent enough. Our housekeeper was great and very nice(we tipped her because our room was always clean really good when we return). The rug needs to be clean or removed, the beds were comfortable, bathroom was big enough-need a little more lightening. We didn't use the pool so I can't comment on that, The one asst manager was too friendly, my boyfriend didn't appreciate how friendly he was. But overall I would stay there again. My only complaint was the one asst manager and the rugs. I would stay there again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — check in, rugs
4 Thank pghmedic
New York
Reviewed August 2, 2006

Our journey started at Newark airport with a flight delay of almost six hours (two of those spent sitting on the runway). Throughout the ordeal, I called the Park Central repeatedly to alert them to our situation and was assured on every occasion that our room "was ready and waiting for our arrival."

When we arrived at 5 am, the doorman was asleep on the couch and didn't open the door or help us with our bags. Ok thanks. The front desk attendant saw us struggling to hold the door open and drag our bags in and also offered no help. Ok thanks again.

At this point I'm beyond annoyed and just want to check in so I offer my hello and give the desk attendant our confirmation number. He types it in and then turns to me unapologetically and says "you were supposed to check in yesterday right?" Yes. "Well I'm sorry but your room was given away because you never checked in." WHAT!!!! I CALLED YOU TEN TIMES!!! YOU SAID IT WAS OK!!!!

I honestly don't know what kind of look I gave the guy because he very quickly figured out I was not going to play games. After a few minutes, he "upgraded" us to an ocean front room.

PROS:
The room was lovely. Spacious enough for a couple and the bathroom was larger than most in SoBe. The view was amazing. The location was perfect--walking distance to most restaurants and shopping on Collins. Lincoln Road is a cab ride away and for the more upscale nightclubs, a cab will get you there for five dollars. They also have a small pool and roof deck for tanning.

There is internet service and a printer on the mezzanine level. If you have a laptop, you can use their WiFi but the signal is weak. The day shift bell hops are very very nice...especially David.

CONS:
Be wary of the elevator. It is super slow. And housekeeping is not the best. The bathroom was never ever cleaned...I could tell because the sand from the beach was never cleaned and I had to do it when I got back in the afternoon. The Concierge is worthless. They will only hand you a brochure.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — The room and location can't be beat. The service is blah. News Cafe breakfast, Nexxt on LincolnRoad for lunch, Larios skirt steak for dinner.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank srgutarra