“A Good Choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #127 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Meriden, Connecticut
“A Good Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed here for new night prior to a cruise and we were not disappointed. Our plans changed and we didn't get to spend the whole day prior but what I can say is that the staff went out if their way to make us feel welcome. The valet was extremely helpful as we arrived with a car on a busy Friday night and we left when the roads were closed for an event. Both were really nice guys and got us in and out quite easily. The hotel was clean...that's always a first on my list. The rooms are not huge, but most of those funky hotels have smaller rooms. We were there in November, but I imagine that the hallways must get a little warm in the hotter months. We checked out the rooftop and the restaurant. I would love to go back there for a weekend. The staff was friendly and the location of the hotel was great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PCHotelOpsManager, Manager at The Park Central, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the Park Central Hotel Miami Beach. I am very happy to know you enjoy your short stay with us before your cruise. I appreciate your honest feedback about the condition of the rooms and your mentioning about our great location. The staff will be certainly recognized for their service provided. Looking forward to serving you again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Plainfield, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Cons -
I understand the historical aspect and can appreciate it, however The Park Central needs renovations. My fiancé and I did not feel comfortable in the hotel from the moment we stepped in. We felt so uncomfortable we spent two hours on the phone trying to get an early flight home.

Was unable to check in early, front desk staff was not rude, however not polite or knowledgeable.

Pros - Bell Staff was professional and knew how to do there job.

Room Tip: The hotel is placed right on south beach. Not sure if they have them, but a view of the beach and o...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Josh5411
Thank you for reviewing the Park Central Hotel Miami Beach. I am sorry to learn that you were not fully satisfied with your stay with us. Our hotel will be going under a property wide renovation in Spring 2014. Your comments will be shared with our Front Desk and Bell staff. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I was extremely pleased to stay at this hotel. The building is a beautiful example of art deco and is Historic Hotels of America member. The place is clean and the service is impeccable. The room was a good size, but the bathroom is rather small, but for the price, it was a good buy. The amenities include wi-fi, a business center, and towels and a beach chair. The location is perfect with everything within a walkable distance. I would recommend that you walk a block up to Collins Avenue and eat breakfast at a small restaurant; the prices are a bit high on Ocean Drive. I would definitely stay here again. The staff was very helpful and knowledgable. Sergio was particularly nice.We had a partial ocean view which was nice, but you could upgrade to a full ocean view if you want to pay extra.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view is nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking a moment to review the Park Central Hotel Miami Beach. I am delighted to know you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words and great comment about our cleanliness and service. In addition, thank you for making a remark on our perfect location and complementary amenities. Looking forward to seeing you again!
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I booked it through priceline. Three nights. The room is big and simple. No fancy decoration. My parents love it. The customer service is wonderful. My parents can't speak English. The front desk staff is very help and patient with my parents. I would definitely come back. It has much better service than the Pelican hotel where my cousin and I stayed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review and provide us with your honest feedback about our Park Central Hotel. The Front of the House staff will certainly be recognized for their amazing service provided to your parents. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to serving you again!
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

I will preface this by strongly recommending that you read the terrible and poor reviews for this hotel before considering booking.

My girlfriend usually discourages me from taking note of a hotels negative feedback when the positive feedback is plentiful.

And now I'm left wondering why I listened.

We pre purchased a 3 night night stay through the hotels website as a advanced purchase rate.

Don't let the exterior and lobby deceive you, our room was outdated, dank, and had a distinct musk. Upon entering our room we encountered the above, with the addition of a tripping hazard in the form of a substantial ripple in the carpet and an extremely loud box below the window which some may call an air conditioner. This noise was only surpassed by the creaking sound the bed made with the slightest of movement. Meanwhile a concert was being held either side of our room in the form of two obnoxiously loud televisions, accompanied with paper thin walls. The outdated decor and bathroom can be forgiven due to the hotels historic theme, however watch out for the extra sharp corners of the glass shelves above the toilet (in which we both hit our heads) in the hobbit sized bathrooms.

It is the points mentioned above and the ones listed below that warrant my rating of this hotel;

*Faulty power point in bathroom.
*loosely fitted power points.
*overbearing hostess trying to make us eat at the hotel's restaurant.
*pillows which I'm sure Wilma and fred previously used.
*poor tv reception.

To the hotels credit, they were quick to move us to a new room on complaining about our rooms poor standard the following day. Although while waiting I over heard the clerk offer a walk in price to a person that was approximately $20 a night cheaper than our advance purchase rate. I also witnessed the same clerk mime shooting himself in the head, while on the phone with a guest.

The new room was adequate but still dated. This hotel is in dire need of renovation.

The only two issues which arose in the new room were some of the previously mentioned problems, extremely poor Wifi connection and two stale candy bars which were out of date by over a year. I took the candy bars to the front desk and was told I would not be charged, which was confirmed again on check out. I was charged a few days later for the candy bars and 7 days later am still waiting for this issue to be resolved.

The only thing I can honestly say this hotel has going for it, is it's location.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PCHotelOpsManager, Operations Manager at The Park Central, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the Park Central Hotel Miami Beach. I am really sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with your stay with us. Our hotel will be going under renovation in Spring 2014! Please advise at your earliest convenience if your credit card haven't received a credit for the candy bars mistakenly posted to your folio, it usually takes from 5 to 7 business days for any international refund to be processed. In addition, your comments will be shared with the different departments in our hotel. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
New Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I chose to stay in South Beach instead of a friend's nearby condo, even though the rates reflected an Art Basel gouge. There was an available suite at the Park Central, so I took it at approximately $630 per night for a two night stay.

Upon our arrival, we were informed that the guest in our room had not left, as he was supposed to have done. He could not be located. They gave us the "overflow" room, which I understand many hotels have for exactly this situation. My wife and I know that these things happen, and a fairly elaborate process has to be undertaken to remove a missing guest's things, etc. So we were extremely patient and understanding. Maybe that was our problem.

The room we were given was, basically, a closet with a double bed. I asked the manager what the rate would be. I was assured it would be substantially less. Incredibly, neither he not the desk clerk were able to tell me the exact rate. Things we a little hectic at the desk, so I let it go, assuming I would be treated fairly.

I would not have paid even the regular rate for this closet of a room. I was about to bolt for the condo, but then I thought I the manager agreed to charge me for a regular room for two nights. This was ok with me, because we would spend one night in a suite as they would get rid of the overstaying guest one way or the other. Plus we could have a quiet dinner instead of relocating.

The good news is that we were moved to a room with a king bed and an ocean view the next day. I was fairly happy, until I went to check out. No adjustments had been made to my bill. So a huge hassle, my wife and I slept in a closet one night, had a an acceptable but expensive room the second night, and I was greeted with a bill for two nights at $600 plus per night.

I explained to the desk clerk that this was not acceptable. He tried to resolve the problem, but was unable to do so. The manager was not yet on duty. My wife and I were nervous about catching our plane, so the clerk left our bill open and said the manager would call me.

Call me he did. No way could he give me the same rate for both nights, he said. He said he had to be "fair to the hotel." He finally did apply a 20% discount to the good room for "inconvenience".

Needless to say, I am still ticked off. There was absolutely no follow up to make sure that I was treated fairly. I had to negotiate for any relief, and the manager's starting point was one in which the hotel profited from having the other guest overstay, renting me a crap room with unclear terms, and then billing me as if I had gotten what I booked. Further, the hotel still ended up being better off than it would have been had my original booking been honored.

Here are the final numbers. The rate for the closet was $340 per night plus about $40 in taxes. The acceptable room cost me $609 plus about $80 in taxes less a 20% discount - about $480 plus taxes. Total room charges for my two nights: more than $820 plus taxes. I have paid that much for one night in a great hotel, but this whole experience was ridiculous. The revenue to the hotel, assuming they collected $630 from the overstaying guest, was $630 + $340 + $480 = $1,450 for the two nights. If he had left, their revenue would have been $630 + $609 = $1,239. A $211 incremental profit - from my pocket I might add - obtained by alienating me.

Maybe they should not rent to any more business school professors!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BigRick50
PCHotelManager, General Manager at The Park Central, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear BigRick50,

Thank you for sharing your concerns during your stay with us. I apologize that your experience was so poor, this is not exemplary of our service standards. I have made several attempts to contact you directly. I do hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and exceed your expectations.

Best regards,

Janine Ackerman
Director of Operations
Santa Cruz Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at The Park Central! The location could not had been perfect! Right across the beach, walking distance to all the restaurants and bars on South Beach! The complimentary beach chairs were very convenient. This hotels has beautiful Art Deco architect and as others mentioned before it had a very classy feel. Although the pool was small, it is perfect size for a hotel this size, I love the different lighting in the pool, water was nice and warm, perfect place to unwind after a day on the beach, mojito in hand! Por supuesto!! By the way, TPC has excellent mojitos, try the watermelon or strawberry! A little pricy, yes $12-$14 but that's just about anywhere on the strip in South Beach. Oh, another thing I loved about this place was the lovely saxophone player during dinner! Very romantic and relaxing as you could be in pool and hear the music. The rooms and bathrooms were a little dated but I guess that's part of the charm of this historic hotel. Finally the service was great and we had a great time. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PCHotelOpsManager, Operations Manager at The Park Central, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to review the Park Central Hotel Miami Beach. I am delighted to know you had a great time while staying with us. In addition, thank you so much for highly talk about our location and amenities offered. As mentioned in previous postings, the hotel will be renovated in the near future to update many features of our hotel while preserving our distinctive historical Art Deco style. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to make you have another wonderful stay with us.