WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Ocean

Hotel Ocean
Ranked #141 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
New Britain, Connecticut
“Great Location, Nice Rooms, Great Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

This hotel had some mixed reviews online, so I will admit, I started to get nervous before we arrived, hoping we wouldn't be extremely disappointed when we got there. And I wasn't at all! The location of this hotel was fantastic. It's right on Ocean Drive, where everything is happening in South Beach. Cross the street and you're on the beach, which has lovely sand, beautiful clear water, and was not too crowded all 4 days we were there. Hotel Ocean also happens to be two doors down from the Palace, which is a gay bar that does drag shows, which was a great time! The hotel is within walking distance of anything you could want in Miami Beach, from the shops and restaurants on Lincoln Road, down to the gorgeous (and quiet!) park at South Point. The hotel itself is much nicer than I expected. The rooms are huge and have nice hardwood floors, and the shower is a cool stone cut out in the side of the bathroom. The courtyard is really lovely, and although it can be loud and lively at night, the live music is a cool flamenco band, which I happened to think was a huge improvement over the techno music blaring from several other hotel courtyards in the area! Lastly, the staff was friendly, pleasant, and helpful during our entire stay. I saw several reviews claiming terrible staff and service, but I found the complete opposite during our stay. We arrived several hours before the official 4pm check in time. We were told our room wasn't ready yet, but would definitely be ready early. They offered to hold our bags and call my cell phone as soon as our room was ready. About 10 minutes after we left to grab a bite to eat, I got the phone call that our room had opened up and we could check in at any time. They were also very accommodating with our late departure, allowing us to check out an hour later than standard and holding our bags the rest of the day.

Some negatives would be the sugar ants in our kitchen area. It didn't really bother us since we didn't keep food in our room (we didn't even know we were getting a kitchen area in our room!). Harmless and tiny, but they were there if it bothers you. There will be noise at night and in the mornings, especially if your room overlooks the courtyard like ours did. But again, all of Ocean Drive is just as noisy, so I booked this hotel expecting that. The lobby and elevator also had a strange mildew-y kind of smell, like they were trying too hard to cover it up with too much air freshener, but it wasn't working. However, our room itself smelled perfectly clean. If our room smelled as bad as the elevator, I would definitely leave a less positive review, but since the weird smell was only in passing, it was something I could deal with.

All in all, this hotel was cheaper than a lot of others on Ocean Drive, and I think a really good deal for the area. The price did fluctuate based on the specific dates of our stay, so it helps to do some research and be flexible on your dates. I was very pleased with this hotel, would stay again, and would recommend to others. It's not a 4-star hotel by any means, but very nice for the price and a great location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

The service we received from Ellie was one of the greatest thAt I have ever received. She took great care of us during our stay and accommodated us to the best of her ability. She has a great smile and genuinely wants everyone to have a great experience during their stay at Hotel Ocean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

only stayed here for two nights but had an excellent experience... large spacious rooms, staff was very friendly and helpful, free wifi, and located on ocean drive, great value for money. only negatives- Very loud until midnight so dont expect to sleep before then, and the fitness centre and pool were not available but they did offer free access to the facilities at the sister hotels that are very close. highly recommend for a short stay.

1 Thank Nikki S
Moscow, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I booked the Penthouse Suite in June of 13 for a January of 14 stay. Hotel Ocean made me prepay for 1 night of a two-night stay, which I did, in order to reserve the Penthouse. A week before we were to arrive, I received an email from them confirming my reservation for my upcoming stay in the Penthouse. The night of our stay, our plane was a bit delayed, so I called from the Philadelphia airport to let them know I would be arriving later than usual. They informed me that I had been "upgraded" to a suite in the Breakwater. I said, um, ok. Upon landing, we had our driver take us to the Breakwater. When we checked in, we were told we had been upgraded to a junior suite. I explained that a junior suite was not an upgrade from a Penthouse. The woman who checked us in was unsympathetic, told me that was all that was available and we were taken to a room in the nearby Edison Hotel. We had 5 people in our party, and we were given a "suite" that was supposed to be for two people. There was a bed, a couch that opened in a poor sofa bed, and upon request, they brought us a rollaway. This took up all available space in the room, not included our 8 pieces of luggage. Across the street was a nightclub with outside music and barely-dressed dancers. I had my kids with me. What a disaster! I demanded to talk to the manager, however, I was told she wouldn't be in until 9:00 the next morning and there was nothing they could do. I was FURIOUS! At 9:00, I called for the manager, only to be told she wasn't in. This went on all day until that afternoon. The manager finally returned my call. She was very understanding about our situation. She called me back and agreed to give us an extra room in the Breakwater, so our party of 5 had more room. This was all that was available so we took it. The manager was very nice, but we were still out the cost of the first night of all 5 of us being cramped into one room. Although we were given an additional room, at no extra cost, for the 2nd night, it still was without a balcony and all of the amenities promised by the Penthouse.

It is obvious that when you book a room at this hotel, it is still first come-first served. Like Jerry Seinfeld said "You know how to TAKE the reservation. You just don't know how to HOLD the reservation." Anyway, I doubt we will ever go back after this fiasco. It cost a lot of money and was very disappointing.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Lodijo

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Hotel Ocean was perfect spot to experience South Beach Miami, FL! Restaurant on hotel plaza was convenient. This hotel is right in the thick of things so be prepared for night life action. Great VIEW!

Room Tip: Go up if you want killer views! Location can't be beat. Ocean and playground right across street...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

week end is busy due to festival , valet parking was excellent, hotel was clean ,spacious room and a lot of fun in the evening, enjoyed the night life and the day time activities of the Art deco festival congrats to all who worked on the commity.
My only complaint was the staff had no clue as to what the what certain activities were going on or where. Maybe next year the staff will be more informed .
I would deffinitly recommend this cute hotel to every one who goes to South Beach I for one and definitly going back there for longer period of time. Thanks Hotel Ocean.

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

This hotel is absolutely horrible, rooms are not even close to what they look like on their site. It's a total dive and you can get much better places in Miami for the same price.

When I checked in; I simply asked if there was free parking for guests and the lady laughed and said not in Miami. I asked if there were smoking rooms and she then told me about the charges I would receive if I were to smoke in my room. As she swiped my credit card, she also told me there are no refunds. I hadn't even been up to my room yet and I wanted a full refund.

This is not how guests of a hotel should be treated. I am very very surprised to read that some people found this hotel friendly. I guess I was there on the wrong day ;)

Hotel Ocean is a total dive and you can get much more for the same price in Miami. I urge you to book a different hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business