“"The best hotel on Ocean drive"”
Review of Hotel Ocean

Hotel Ocean
Ranked #155 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Brooklyn, New York
“"The best hotel on Ocean drive"”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I have been coming to South Beach Miami every year with my boy-friend. This is our favourite hotel on ocean drive. The location is perfect. The rooms are spacious and cozy. The stuff extremly helpful. We go out to bars and clubs when we visit Miami Beach. The stuff is always setting us up with discounts to local places and clubs. My boy friend and I have such a good time that we come back every year. Tell the stuff about your special occasion we get bottle of shampagne. I am amazed they remember us year from year.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Ocean, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Dear NYC2MIA,

Thank you very much for being a loyal customer of Hotel Ocean. We work very hard to continue improving our service culture and we succeed by having wonderful repeat customers such as yourself.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before, but after my experience with this establishment I knew that I needed to warn others. I apologize in advance for the long story, but I figured I had to give some background for you to understand how bad this place screwed over and then lied to our group.

I booked a trip to Miami for me and several friends three months in advance of an April 2011 (Easter weekend) arrival. I priced several hotels online, and I determined that Hotel Ocean would be perfect fit based the price and its South Beach location. I booked a 1500 square foot two bedroom suite. Two other hotels with similar suites were available that cost about the same as Hotel Ocean, but neither had the same prime location as Hotel Ocean (though both the other hotels were in South Beach).

I read reviews on Trip Advisor warning me that Hotel Ocean had canceled their rooms prior to their arrival, but I just thought "this would never happen to me; it must have just been a small mistake that won't happen again." I learned the hard way to follow fellow "Advisors" advice.

To ensure I would not fall in the same predicament as other "Advisors" I called Hotel Ocean the Sunday before my Wednesday arrival to make sure everything was still okay with the room. They assured me it was, and they anticipated my arrival on Wednesday.

As I was getting ready to leave for the airport Wednesday afternoon, one of my friends who arrived in Miami before me was on his way to Hotel Ocean and he asked that I call the hotel to make sure he could get a room key. As asked, I called the hotel and after a few minutes of the receptionist having "trouble finding my reservation" I was informed that the hotel had been "meaning to call" me because they were having a maintenance problem with our suite and we would not be allowed to stay there. I was shocked, though I probably should not have been.

I was then told they were moving us to a two-bedroom suite at “a five-star Marriott, much nicer than the Hotel Ocean,” and that that “Hotel Ocean would cover the difference in price.” I should have known this was too good to be true. I asked for the phone number to the Marriott. I then called the number and quickly learned that it was a Courtyard by Marriott (not a five-star Marriott), and that the Courtyard wasn't even on South Beach. The Courtyard informed me that Hotel Ocean had only booked one room with a king size bed for me and my friends, much different than a two-bedroom suite.

I then called the Hotel Ocean back, and, surprise, surprise, NO ANSWER. After 30 minutes of calling, the receptionist finally answered. After I explained that I was not going to accept a one-bedroom at a Courtyard in exchange for the two-bedroom suite I had already paid for, she said that there was nothing she could do because her manager was "not available". She then claimed she didn't know when the manager would return and that our only option was to accept the Courtyard.

As I was talking to the receptionist by phone, two of my friends shortly arrived at the Hotel Ocean. They were able to finally make sense of the situation. One of my friends demanded that he be shown the room, since we had already paid for it. The receptionist told him she would be fired if she showed him the room, because it was such a mess from the maintenance work. My friend then asked for the manager's phone number. After some arguing, the receptionist finally gave him the number. My friend had no problem getting the manager on the phone (contrary to the receptionist telling me that he was "not available"). The manager told my friend that there was no maintenance problem, but that he had given the room to someone else. He said that our only option was to take the Courtyard. He assured us that we would get two rooms, each with two queen size beds.

We were furious (me at home packing, my friends on the phone with the manager). We knew we were SOL because it was Easter weekend and most other hotels were sold out or out of our price range. We thus accepted the Courtyard, which was about a $15 cab ride from South Beach (which ended up costing nearly $75 extra a person once the weekend was done). Once we got to the Courtyard, we had two rooms, both with only one bed, not two beds as promised. In addition, we asked the Courtyard about this problem with the Hotel Ocean and they said that they had several guests that the Hotel Ocean had sent over, and that this was not an infrequent occurrence.

BOTTOM LINE: Stay away!!!

3 Thank dctraveler311
Dear dctraveler311,

Please allow me to apologize for any inconveniences that you might have experienced. The room type you had requested is very limited since we only offer two of them in the entire hotel. As correctly stated by our reservations agent, that room type was unavailable for which I apologize. Our Operations Manager contacted your guests with several options upon which you had chosen to be upgraded to an oceanfront hotel which offered two connecting suites and in fact a much larger room with the same amount of beds. Our 2-Bdr Suite do offer one queen size bed per bedroom. I do apologize that this agreed upon switch was not acceptable to you.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Reviewed April 29, 2011

I had reservation since March and I had to find out that they did not havd any rooms available when I was checking in on April 20th. No one called to inform me about anything. I drove 10 hours from South Carolina... and it took me 5 extra hours to find a room. Thank you Hampton Inn and Suites!!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank adetutu
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Ocean, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Dear adetutu,

Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences. As indicated upon your arrival, the reservation was made by a 3rd party website which the hotel can refuse if there is no availability. Unfortunately, during the time of your reservation requested, we had no availability so we refused the reservation with your booking source. I do apologize on their behalf since they should have contacted you. We have no means of doing so since we only received your name and arrival date. I have spoken to the Market manager who will investigate why you were never contacted.
Linz, Austria
Reviewed April 29, 2011

nice weather and very hot ocean, but it was amazing!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Max190428
Dear Max190428,

Thank you very much for staying at Hotel Ocean. I am very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Herzliche Gruesse nach Linz.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 27, 2011

As soon as we arrived the employees at the hotel were very warm and accomodating to us and throughout the entire duration of our stay. The location was perfect because it was right across from the beach and had plenty of restaurants and shopping around us. The room was great and the service was fabulous! I reccomend this hotel for familes, friends, and a romantic get-away as well.

1 Thank markidesimone
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Ocean, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
Dear markidesimone,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Ocean. I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our team is very dedicated to making a difference each and every single day. We look forward to welcoming you back at our wonderful Boutique Hotel very soon.
Rosario, Argentina
Reviewed April 26, 2011

The view from the PH is absolutely wonderful! You will see the best sunrises ever from its balcony. The room is comfortable & the people who work at the hotel are very kind. The receptionists were able to answer all our questions (where to go for drinks, eating, shopping and so on. ) The only thing I would improve is the morning breakfast... there are not many options .. I would add fruits, cheese and ham and croissants.

Room Tip: Pent House is great. The noise comes with Miami!