New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Marlin Hotel

The Marlin Hotel
Ranked #60 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
District Heights, Maryland
“An amazing experience at The Marlin Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My partner and I travel to South Beach every year and we usually stay in a hotel on Ocean and 14th. This year, we decided we were going to try something different and get away from Ocean Dr. Well I have to say, we were thoroughly impressed with the Marlin. When we arrived, we were greeted by Daniela who is AH-MAZING. Once I gave her my name, she immediately remembered me calling in to make my reservation, a month earlier. She was extremely helpful, courteous, and accommodating during our ENTIRE stay. The lobby was very nice, the furniture almost made it feel as though we were walking into a beautiful mini mansion. Once we were shown to our room, Daniela explained AND demonstrated all of the amenities of room. The blackout shades, lights (including 6 color lighting adjustment), TV, room temperature, and iPod dock is all controlled by the room's iPad. The bed was king size and PLUSH; we had no issues falling asleep. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was gorgeous. There is a rain shower head and a handheld shower head to chose from, plus the colored lighting is also in the bathroom (you haven't showered until you've showered in blue lights! LOL). We had a Studio B on the 3rd floor; it was perfect for two people (friends or a couple) but could easily accommodate 3 people total because of the spacious couch. The TV is inside a mirror, which was amazing to look at. The room is beautiful, the hotel is beautiful, and the staff is VERY good, they cleaned the room thoroughly and quickly. Our sheets, towels, and beach towels were changed every single day (which isn’t always the case in other Miami hotels). The only thing we would have changed about the hotel is, we had to request the iron and ironing board to be delivered to our room anytime we needed it. HOWEVER, they were always delivered within minutes and we were informed that the iron/iron boards would be standard in all rooms very soon. We will WITHOUT A DOUBT be back for our 2014 South Beach vacation.

Room Tip: Studio B 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days while in Miami on business. The staff were super friendly and responsive to my questions about the area. The rooms are awesome! Nice amount of space, the bathroom shower is to die for! I loved the iPad controls and the huge TV. Bed was very comfortable. The staff ...Alex, Damien and Daniella all made great recommendations for local eating. I highly recommend this boutique hotel.

Room Tip: My room was on the third floor, no view but very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank PhillyLD
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We spent five fabulous nights at the Marlin and were very happy with our decision. Perfect location, just a block from what I consider to be the coolest part of South Beach. Lots of good bars nearby and the staff made some great recommendations for dinner. The rooms were great, I love the iPad controls and the funky lights. everything worked perfectly and it was remarkably spaciuous (we chose the largest room option). My only grumbles are that it is obvious this hotel is not being properly managed. At check in we were told there was no record of our reservation. Thankfully I could produce copies of confirmation emails (I had booked directly with the hotel, yet they lost my reservation)! We were luckly there just happened to be availability. Then we were double charged as I had already paid for the room when i made the initial reservation. This was not a great start to our holiday.

Also I found it disappointing that tehy advertise a restaurant and even put a menu on their website when it's obvious that restaurant has never been open and is unlikely to be in the near future. Same thing with regards to the bar. It's such as shame as it would have been good to chill downstairs by the bar before going out but the bar has never been open either.

Very cool hotel, lots of potential but definitely not there yet. Oh, make sure you go to Spiga next door if you like good Italian food - it was amazing!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I waant to mention one special employee who was amazing.His name is D Haye. He the night manager at the Marlin Hotel. @ first when i first met him he had alot of questions for me. i checked in the hotel @ 7 30 pm and he wasnt there . Me and my friends went out that first night and came back late after midnight and his shift has began. After i told him that we me and my friends staying here then he welcomed us showed us around the hotel . i didint mind all the questions he had because he has never seen me before and was doing his job i totally understood that. through out the whole trip he helped me and my friends out. He is not only professional but really nice guy. He best one to do the job he working right now.i learned some good lessons from him.

Now when we first me and my friends checke in we were welcome by Alex. He took our luggae out the car, open the door for us and checked us in. it was a verry easy and simple process. we had a rental so we asked him about parking . he gave us 3 different options. we decided to go with vallet parking which was about $32.00 per day. Only thing i didint like about that was that it takes them 15 mins to bring the car back to hotel bc they park it far. you have to gives them a heads before you want your car. the room was amazing. I loved the decor, size, specially the ipad which controlled everything in the room from blinds to lights to ac to art to mood.there room cleaning service was amazing, they did good job. every time i came back to my room it was clean and they even folded my laundry that i left on the floor. the negative was that this had no pool, no spa, no views . but i would def go back to Marlin hotel when i go back to miami next time.over all i would give this hotel 9/10.I would like to thank everyone there for welcoming me there and treating me and my friends like a vip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Wonderful staff, specifically Daniella, Jeff, Alex, and Dameon!!! There was only one guy I didn't bother to ask his name because he didn't bother to do ANYTHING on shift right before Dameon. The other people I named at the front desk were AMAZING! Stayed here for three days, ipad controls everything in the room, love the bed love the glass showers and bathroom, love the tv in the mirror, the soundproof rooms!!! You could have a party in your room and no one would even know. No car needed you are 5mins from the beach and anything you need. All of the food in the area is great! Awesome weather! The front door to the hotel does require a code which I LIKED because of the small percentage of people walking around miami either tripping out or drunk they like to walk around in stores and restaurants so it made me feel a lot safer. I would not recommend this place for children or boring people looking for peace and quiet, actually I would not recommend Miami in general. It is called the party town for a reason everything is open for 24hrs awesome for a girls trip, bachelor/bachelorette party or couples looking to relight that flame! Enjoy! ;)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Samantha L
Jacksonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed for two nights in late Feb for South Beach Food Wine. Nice simple quiet retro hotel two blocks to ocean. Close to night life restaurants beach shopping and everything needed for a South Beach romantic getaway. If you are bringing the kids this is not the place for you. Try the lowes or ritz. Techno stuff others talk about is cool when it works but that was rare during our stay. Valet was also a little difficult as the hotel has to call them to pickup or deliver the car and there is rarely parking out front while waiting. Overall nice spot.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cateredin
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Rooms are spacious but without quality; the mirrorfFlat TV is the only very nice thing inside;
we had a room very noisy for the airco machine(we could'nt sleep), we asked to change room
without success and so we left the hotel the second day;
no bar inside the hotel, small reception on the second floor;no breakfast;
we expected another thing than the one we had; it's apity because the location is fantastic.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple