“One negative may color your Impala stay,,,”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Impala Hotel

Impala Hotel
Ranked #18 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Beloit, Wisconsin
“One negative may color your Impala stay,,,”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Impala has many appealing aspects such as lovely clean rooms and halls, an extremely helpful staff and comfortable bed in the heart of South Beach, a short walk to the beach and Wolfson Museum in a lovely Art Deco area. Despite all these positives, I will warn light sleepers that on the alley side of the building, beginning in the middle of the night and lasting for several hours is a loud thumping sound, perhaps a generator or something near enough to the Impala which the hotel may not be able to stop. This along with listed TV channels which are not in fact accessible despite staffs' attempts, should be taken into account if there is something you especially planned to watch, a minor annoyance and misrepresentation. There are none of the usual amenities such as fitness room, ice machine or easy chair in the room. Overall, I thought the room was over-priced and will explore other options if we return to Miami Beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the end of the hall.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank jhelena2014
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Impala Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for bringing to our attention several important matters.
First I'd like to apologize for the noise in the alley. It is not a common complaint from our guests so I'd really like to investigate a bit further and find out what that noise was. Please feel free to send me an email with your name and room number and I will do my best to identify the source.
Regarding the amenities, we do offer access to Crunch Fitness Center, located right around the corner from our hotel. I am sorry that this was not brought to your attention during your stay. We also offer ice. The beautiful architecture and structure of the hotel doesn't allow us to install an ice machine on the floors but we do offer ice upon request and buckets are located in all rooms.
We are also in the process of upgrading our in-room entertainment features which will soon include all premium channels as well as On Demand and a real interactive experience for our guests! I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again once all these features are in place and have the opportunity to make a much better impression!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Weston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is a rare find.
A beautifully renovated, intimate and private small hotel on lower Collins Avenue between Ocean and Washington. I walked right past it the first time I passed by. The front part of the hotel houses "SPIGA" a very fine Italian restaurant.
The entrance to the hotel is to the left hand side as you face the building through an arched entryway that leads to a pristine private garden that immediately takes you worlds away to the coast of France. Once you enter this courtyard you cease to be aware that Collins ave is only a few feet away.
The staff was welcoming and accommodating. I was early, having made an unexpected early departure from the Marlin Hotel ( right next door) but they had a room available and not only allowed me early check in but upgraded me as well.
The desk clerk carried my bag to the room, showed me the amenities and then left.
The room was beautiful. Newly renovated, clean and spacious and came complete with a Nespresso machine ( Heaven). And the bed was a joy. They use Tencel+PlusLyocell bedding, cool and dry against your skin.
When I asked for lunch recommendations from the front desk, I got 3 good ones plus the walking directions. They go out of their way to be kind.
For dinner I was lazy and ambled into Spiga. Loved it.
I took breakfast outside the next morning in the private garden. It was a very complete meal with fruit, juices, croissants, rolls and yogurt and tea.
This is a wonderful hotel. Small, quiet, freshly renovated, personable staff, in the heart of it all in South Beach and that amazing garden to escape into.
If you are looking for a beautiful sanctuary to return to at the end of the day without all the pretension and ostentatious behavior that you find at many Miami Beach hotels, then this is it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Suezak10
Thank you! Your review is expresses everything we want our guests to feel and more! I am very happy that you enjoyed the bedding, indeed the Lyocell is a delight especially with the Miami weather! Thank you again for this great review, the entire staff joins me to thank you, it is these kinds of feedback that make all their efforts worthwhile! Thank you!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! The rooms are clean and nicely decorated, and the staff were very friendly. The hotel is situated on the quieter side of Collins Ave., so we had no issue with noise late at night. It is only a few steps away from all the restaurants and bars on Ocean Drive. I am quite picky when it comes to hotels, and I was very pleased with our choice!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 542GeorgeT542
I am glad to read that you had a great quiet stay despite that fact that March is known to be a very busy and loud month in Miami Beach due to the various music events! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Great location within walking distance of Lincoln Road and Oceans Drive.
Reception staff makes you feel like at home; very friendly and helpful always trying to go beyond great customer service: well done Maggy, Maud ad Charlie.
Very spacious and clean room; decorated with a very good taste.
Its a great choice Hotel if you want an easy and friendly environment.
Will 100% recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Impala Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
We try our best to give this homey feeling and we are glad you not only felt it, but also enjoyed it! We take great pride in our customer service and reading that it was noticed and appreciated once again is really heartwarming for us and for Maggy, Maud and Charlie, who always try to give the best of themselves! Reading your comment is the best reward they can get and they thank you from the bottom of their heart!
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Recently stayed at this lovely hotel before going on a cruise. Staff were excellent and friendly especially Romain who was on nights. He pointed out restaurants and made reservations when required. Room was clean and very stylish.......we had a kingsize room. Location of hotel is excellent only one street from the beach. would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ryhaze
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Impala Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind review! I am glad you had a great time with us and Romain who is indeed a great part of our team! Please come visit us again soon!
Westmount, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I just finished a 7 day stay in room 210, a very large, attractive and quiet suite on the second floor facing Collins Drive. Despite that I, who am very noise-sensitive, heard almost no outside noise in the bedroom although the living room part of the suite was less well sound proofed. I agree with and will not rewrite superlatives written by others here and will just add a few of my own:
Do not under any circumstances, even think of parking a rental car on the street unless you are from South Beach or know locals, otherwise you risk spending much of your vacation looking for parking, especially on weekends. Use the valet service offered by the hotel at $25/day.
The continental breakfast offered for $9.99 (included in my room rate and sampled twice) is not worth it for the food: The croissant and chocolatine were stale, there was no fruit salad nor yogurt offered for one of the two breakfasts. There are plenty of healthy and hearty breakfast restaurants within 2 blocks of the hotel: I especially liked the omelettes at the 11th Street Diner.
There is an excellent gym called Crunch 2 blocks away and the South Beach boardwalk, 2 1/2 blocks away is a superb place to go out for a run along the beach.
The Italian restaurant on the premises did not live up to the great reviews others have written: The home-made ravioli with meat was, a "Chef Boyardee experience" for 20$. On another night the grilled tuna was overdone and tough and tasteless on the outside and close to raw on the inside. The restaurant dining room staff were excellent however, so my comments refer to the quality of the food served.
In the Hotel, all of the front desk staff were helpful and highly professional yet warm, welcoming and friendly.
In sum, a great hotel and I will stay here again next time I am in South Beach. I will not return to Ristorante Spiga.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JeffWMontreal
Thank you for this honest and detailed review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy Spiga as much as you thought you would. I will definitely pass the message along to them.
Regarding breakfast, I must say this comes as a surprise because it usually is very much appreciated and I apologize that it was not complete nor to your liking. I will follow up to see why this happened as our Croissants are normally delicious!!
But thank you for an overall great review and I hope to have the opportunity to make a better impression with breakfast the next time you come visit us!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Impala is a peaceful spot on busy Collins Ave. in the thick of South Beach. The international staff was consistently charming and helpful. It seemed very clean. Good value for the cost. A few tradeoffs: small room but fairly spacious bathroom; no tub but sizeable shower; no dresser but shelves in the closet; room view was the alleyway out back, but it was blissfully quiet. Everything was within a short walking distance.

The bathroom had plenty of good lighting, and cool fossils in the nice limestone. The in-room mini-fridge was empty, which I appreciated as I could fill it with my own items. You leave your room key at the front desk. This personal touch made me feel a little safer, and helps ensure you don’t lose your key.

Spiga restaurant in the lobby was so great we ate dinner there twice. Our waiter was from Milan and his recommendations were outstanding.

We stayed during the South Beach Wine & Food Festival. Most hotels had jacked their rates sky high for the event, but the Impala was a comparatively great value.

There is a Starbucks around the corner at Washington and 12th, and a very good Venezuelan bakery with yummy empanadas, Charlotte Bakery, at 1499 Washington, just North of Espanola Way.

FLYING: Those in my group who flew in/out of Ft. Lauderdale were MUCH happier than those who flew through Miami. Although about a 40 minute cab ride, the smaller Ft. Lauderdale airport is newer and more manageable than Miami.

DRIVING: So. Beach weekend traffic was ridiculously bad, and parking was problematic. Don't rent a car, use cabs or walk.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelAndShoes
Thank you for this review! You are mentioning a few details that are less noticed or at least mentioned by guests and it is very nice to read about them in your review! I love that you appreciated the fact that you had to leave the key at the desk, and that you could fill the fridges with your own items! Thank you again and please think of us next time you are in South Beach!