“Good value in a great location”
Review of Impala Hotel

Impala Hotel
Ranked #17 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Impala is a peaceful spot on busy Collins Ave. in the thick of South Beach. The international staff was consistently charming and helpful. It seemed very clean. Good value for the cost. A few tradeoffs: small room but fairly spacious bathroom; no tub but sizeable shower; no dresser but shelves in the closet; room view was the alleyway out back, but it was blissfully quiet. Everything was within a short walking distance.

The bathroom had plenty of good lighting, and cool fossils in the nice limestone. The in-room mini-fridge was empty, which I appreciated as I could fill it with my own items. You leave your room key at the front desk. This personal touch made me feel a little safer, and helps ensure you don’t lose your key.

Spiga restaurant in the lobby was so great we ate dinner there twice. Our waiter was from Milan and his recommendations were outstanding.

We stayed during the South Beach Wine & Food Festival. Most hotels had jacked their rates sky high for the event, but the Impala was a comparatively great value.

There is a Starbucks around the corner at Washington and 12th, and a very good Venezuelan bakery with yummy empanadas, Charlotte Bakery, at 1499 Washington, just North of Espanola Way.

FLYING: Those in my group who flew in/out of Ft. Lauderdale were MUCH happier than those who flew through Miami. Although about a 40 minute cab ride, the smaller Ft. Lauderdale airport is newer and more manageable than Miami.

DRIVING: So. Beach weekend traffic was ridiculously bad, and parking was problematic. Don't rent a car, use cabs or walk.

1  Thank TravelAndShoes
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Impala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for this review! You are mentioning a few details that are less noticed or at least mentioned by guests and it is very nice to read about them in your review! I love that you appreciated the fact that you had to leave the key at the desk, and that you could fill the fridges with your own items! Thank you again and please think of us next time you are in South Beach!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We do not really have complaints about this hotel: we received an upgrade in room, the staff was very helpful and friendly and the location was great for us. We did not take breakfast there as we had our breakfast at news cafe at the beach ( great!!!).
So yes, in this price category, this is a great hotel. I choose it mainly for the location and it seems it was a good choice for us.

Room Tip: We booked a standard and received an upgrade to the nicest suite. This room is at the street side bu...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VHemelaer

Thank you! I am glad you had a good and pleasant stay! Room 210 is indeed very nice as it has a balcony overlooking famous Collins avenue, it is rare to have a 1st row seat to the South Beach show like this without being overly bothered by the noise and chaos!
Thank you for your comments and the time you took to share them, it is greatly appreciated!

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and i stayed one night as a layover from our cruise to our flight. We arrived very early but felt welcome anyway. The receptionist held our luggage for us so we could walk around South Beach. She called us when our room was done and then she had already moved all of our luggage to the room before we areived. The only reason i didn't give a 5 circle rating is because our room wasnt great. It was right next to the lobby and very noisy. After 7 days on the ship we wanted a little quiet time. There were also a couple small things wrong with the room. This hotel had supposedly just been remodeled but it wasnt done very well in this room. I would however recomend stayng here and would go back and ask for another room.

Arriving prior to the check-in time in our hotel has never been an issue and we are pleased to welcome you anytime!
I do want to thank you for your kind words despite the fact that you were not 100% satisfied with your room and please know that I do feel terribly sorry about this.
Due to the small structure of the hotel, our handicapped accessible room is closer to the lobby and since we were completely sold out that day, we could not move you to another room. The next time you come visit us, please contact me personally and I will ensure that your stay and your room will be everything you expected and more! I sincerely mean it.

Thank you and I hope to get the chance to make a better impression very soon!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

What a lovely hotel! Even though the Impala is located in a busy part of South Beach, it couldn't be more peaceful and calm in it's tucked-away spot, with great little garden to sit in, have a glass of wine, or take-out some dinner from the delicious restaurant in front (Spiga). My room was very large, extremely comfortable, with a great, beautifully appointed bathroom. The people who worked at the hotel were fabulous-so helpful, accommodating, informative. I would absolutely return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the tine to share your experience! Everything you described is exactly how we want our guest to feel in our hotel! Thank you, you cannot imagine how happy this makes us feel! We hope to welcome you again soon for an even better experience!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

The room was wonderful. The clerk that greeted us, Maud, was so helpful. She had only been in America for 3 weeks, but went out of her way to make sure everything was perfect for our stay. We will stay at The Impala next time we escape winter in Ohio !

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Lambo007
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Impala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

I am very proud to see that Maud is already being mentioned in reviews not even a month after starting working here with us! She is great indeed. In a previous answer I talked about our staff being genuine, well Maud is the perfect example of a true genuine human being who takes great pleasure in helping out guests and making them feel at home. I am very proud to have her on my team! Thank you for sharing your experience with her and the hotel on Tripadvisor it is greatly appreciated!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great place to stay, convenient to ocean avenue. The staff was very friendly and well aware of the surroundings and referrals for places to stay. Beds were comfortable, bathroom was clean, mini fridge was great given the hot humid weather. My only complaint, was at night i could hear the music (thumping) from a club down the street. It wasnt awful, but would consider it if i had to stay again for business. Would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Impala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you Kristine. I am sorry about the noise coming from the club. I can assure you that we are constantly working with the managers of the club to prevent these issues. It has gotten much much better, and we are still working on a few other solutions to put an end to it once and for all! Thank you for your kind words despite this inconvenience! It is much appreciated!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Overall, I had a lovely stay and will definitely return next time I can get away to SoBe.

Positive:
The amazing staff, who were every bit as helpful and attentive as previous reviewers mentioned, from everything from directions to late-night technical issues. Really outstanding service. Thank you again.

Beautiful rooms with tile throughout, wonderful showers, comfortable beds. If there is a choice, go with a tile-floor room. While I was there I saw exactly one insect, which was one little fly that landed on the wall randomly. This is in response to another reviewer. I stayed in a Deluxe room on the second floor, which I would recommend.

Location, location, location; because of the great location I was not in the room itself too often but I really appreciated coming back to it (easily) each night. I also felt very safe there.
---------------------------------------------------
Things that could be improved:
I moved from the room I was booked into because the windows faced a very noisy alley, which was impossible to sleep through. The floor in that room was very grimy, no bother I wore flip-flops as I would anyway, but I did notice things like the back of the headboard was full of dust bunnies, and as I moved around the room I was thinking things like, "This would take me an hour to paint". It really did need paint. The back of the bathroom door was also pretty filthy. I think a steam cleaner for the floor and some paint would solve things quickly. The staff was very gracious abt moving me to another room, which was very nice and cleaner.

The breakfasts. As mentioned previously, it is a continental breakfast, but if you are eating healthy you are kind of screwed. Green tea and a piece of stale baguette didn't make my day really. Even the fruit salad is processed. Although I had them free with an offer, I only tried them once and went around the corner for fresh fruit to The Smoothie Shop on Washington which I cannot say enough good things about. Add some fresh fruit and healthier choices and it would be a wonderful experience.

I think many hotels in South Beach use silk orchids, I'd like to suggest using an orchid service which will supply flowering orchids which are picked up and replaced by new orchids once the blooms fade. It would be a nice touch.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank RiversandSea

Thank you for this valuable feedback. I am sorry to read that your 1st room was not cleaned properly. As you know and as you were hopefully able to experience during the 2nd part of your stay, cleanliness is one of our top priorities.
I have already taken the necessary measures with our housekeeping team to ensure this does not happen again and to be more vigilant from now on.
Even though the hotel is very quiet, some areas are more subject to noise which is why we are already in the process of installing soundproof windows.
Finally, even though the hotel was painted not too long ago, it needs to be maintained frequently and I appreciate your bringing this to our attention.
I am still glad to know that overall you were pleased with your stay and I hope to have the opportunity to make a not only better, but perfect impression next time you come to South Beach!