“Memorable”

Ranked #144 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
miami
“Memorable”
Reviewed October 26, 2009

From the moment you pull in the hotel's ramp until the moment you leave it, The Alexander pampers you in inimagiable ways. The staff offers a superb service. Everyone greeted us as if they were expecting us. The hotel has been decorated with beautiful antiques that gives it a classy and welcoming look. The rooms are spacious and luxurious. The view is magnificent! Imagine waking up looking at a fresh and renewed ocean every morning. Relaxing! The pools, the tiki bar, the cabanas, the restaurant... You should see it for yourselves. I recommend The Alexander hotel. They made our family's visit a memorable one.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Polish first
North Miami
Reviewed October 7, 2009

We enjoyed almost every aspect of our stay at the Alexander! Conceirge and front desk very accomodating. Shula's restaurant service and food exceptional. Could not finish the 22 oz , (I think) "cowboy" rib eye (they said favorite of don shula but not many could finish that size steak!). Really high quality though. My wife and I enjoyed both the beach and lower pool area. Our neices played on the jungel gym set up on the back lawn. Other days we took umbrella and chairs on the beach. All in all the only thing that made me blink was the cost of valet service but it seem like that's high everywhere you go on Miami Beach. We learned to just keep the car at the hotel and travel by taxi. SOBE Ocean Drive about 10 minutes by cab and alot to do with the kids in town. We took a 2 bedroom suite which was plenty big and gave us a full kitchen so that we could enjoy breakfast on our own. I think we've found our home away from home!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We stayed on the 15th floor. The staff was friendly, the rooms were dated, but comfortable. The view from the balcony was good. The beach was easily accessed, even by my elderly parents. The pools were clean. There weren't many people at the pools during the week. The full kitchen was small and there were limited utensils and plates. We bought some plastic cups, utensils and paper plates which worked well for us.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Woodridge, IL
Reviewed June 4, 2009

We stayed at the Alexander for four days following our Caribbean cruise. While the neighborhood in Miami Beach is largely residential (cab rides required to go to South Beach area) - it is a gorgeous location and we'd definitely stay again.

We had a great 1 bedroom condo (living room/dining room, full kitchen, bath, and bedroom) on the 11th floor overlooking Miami Beach. There were full windows all along the walls in the living/dining room and bedroom - all with gorgeous views of the beach and of the pools below. The Alexander was built in the 1960's - so it's a bit dated here and there, but our unit had newer furnishings and the bathroom had been redone. The only negative was the air conditioner seems to date to the 1960's - and didn't work real well. We kept it up on high for the entire trip to keep the unit cool.

The units have daily maid service - including evening turn down service - which was a nice touch (to get fresh towels and such in the evenings).

The pools are very nice - lots of tropical landscaping including a waterfall - and great beach views. There's also a bar (Top of the Falls) right between the two pools - which is open for lunch and into early evening. The bartender there (I think her name was Echelle) was terrific.

Our room rate included the breakfast buffet - which was very good. That is served daily in the Garden Terrace - overlooking the pool/beach area. There's also a Shula's Steakhouse restaurant there - which was very good (pricy, but good!).

The staff was all friendly and helpful. The only problem we ran into was in their business center, when we used their PC to try to print boarding passes. The printer wasn't working. The concierge attempted to then print it for us - but due to security - only one attempt was allowed (so we had to wait and get our boarding passes at the airport). I think they do need to verify things like that are working (printer).

Overall, I'd highly recommend this place for a stay in Miami Beach.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank moonltnite
NYC
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I went to the Alexander to enjoy the beach and relax without any pressures. They had everything I needed, abeautiful beach, pools, convenient bar for sunset cocktails and a fabulous restaurant-Shula's. The room was an apartment so I had everything I needed and fell asleep on my balcony listening to the ocean. It was the perfect weekend get away!!

Just 1 mile away from South Beach, if you want to get out to party you can!! I was just looking for some quiet healing beach time and I got it with plenty of hospitality.

• Liked — Access to Beach
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank citygirlontherun
detroit
Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed at the Alexander in suite 510 rented via Robertooceanfront.com. Two bedroom condo with questionable view of ocean from balcony.

The hotel is nice, clean, with a great, warm, child friendly pool. Very appealing. Our unit was rented through aprivate owner and there was a huge language barrier. The prices kept shifting until finally I got a contract with a written amoun t for us to work with. I truly did not know what to expect until I saw it with my own eyes.

The previous guests refused to leave as their flight was delayed, so the housekeepers were trying to clean around them as they lounged on the sofa. We were stuck waiting it out until Roberto let us have access. I had a 15month old, groceries and an 80 yr old grandma too.

The laundry was rushed, so towels were put away wet. There were two washcloths and some very ragged towels. Only ONE teaspoon! I would say this place has seen better days, but in all honesty, after I cleaned myself and redid the towels, and took two washcloths off the hotel laundry cart-we were in pretty good shape.

We finally gained access about 5 p.m. Roberto gave us 50.00 off our 1500. bill. Looking back, I really should have pushed for more. The housekeepers did a poor job of cleaning around these slobs and the dust and hair was clumped around the base of the sofa legs and dining table legs.

roberto was a nice fellow who seems very overwhelmed with his job. I wanted to keep apologizing for bothering him. The hotel is very clean itself, and the valet in particular were very courteous. Overall, it was a pleasent expereince once we got the beginning out of the way. I don't know if other rental agents do a better job, or if the hotel units are better, cleaner, nicer. Since there are alot of private owners, it would be hard to judge all units equally.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed March 1, 2009

I stayed here in Feb 2009 for a conference that was being held at the hotel. I was hesitant to stay there since the reviews were so terrible; however, we were pleasantly surprised by the large 2 bedroom/2 full baths, ocean views, and the full kitchen. Based on other reviews, I did ask to be upgraded to a "premium" suite which was only $30 more/night. I found all of the customer service personnel to be extremely pleasant. The decor of our suite was a bit random (lots of marble and mirrors) but it was clean and cleaned daily. The entire place is extremely kid-friendly, the hotel is directly on the beach.

My only negative was the location. I'm used to staying in South Beach with many conveniences within walking distance. This hotel is in Miami Beach and all of the condos/hotels in this area are not within walking distance to anything but the beach. A car is necessary for absolutely everything.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business