“Oh my dear! They KILLED The Tides!”

The Tides South Beach
Ranked #64 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
North Bay Village
“Oh my dear! They KILLED The Tides!”
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Oh, my lord. What happen to The Tides???
When you walk into the lobby it looks like a warehouse furniture sale. The once elegant and simple beautiful lobby is now cramped and full of gold and beige stuff. What as shame!
This might work in LA but definitely very much out of place in Miami Beach.
The restaurant only serves fish. Nothing else. The walls are decorated with protected and endangered turtle shells. Hundreds of them!!!. So not right. So wrong!! What where the designers thinking??
We had dinner on the terrace. The staff really tried to do their best. It seemed that they where very much pressured from above to do certain things. Once we let them know we where ok, they let their guard down and everything when down hill from there.
The restaurant manager was very nice at first but after a while he spend most of his time on the cell phone on the side of the building.
Edgar the concierge was fantastic! Poor guy has been there from the beginning and has seen all the horrific changes
We have stayed at The Tides many times and will not return. This was the best place in all South Florida just a couple of years ago. It is sad more than anything else.
The bar is completely gone! Friend of mine tried to book and they where told the hotel is closed until further notice period. How sad. This used to our favorite place.

• Liked — Concierge Staff
  • Disliked — Design and interior.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GlobalTravelExpert
KorHotelGroup, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, October 31, 2007
Luxury travel media and the many guests that have experienced our hotel to-date, have applauded us for the entirely-new level of design and luxury we have and fully intend to bring to South Florida. However, we realize that taste and design perceptions are subjective.

In response to your comments on our restaurant, La Marea is an acclaimed full-service Mediterranean-inspired restaurant which offers breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant offers guests a variety of selections, in addition to seafood or fish. We welcome you to visit www.tidessouthbeach.com/dining for a complete menu.

Recognizing your concern about our restaurant’s design, we are proud to communicate that La Marea’s tortoise shell decorations are faux, resin antique shell replicas. The Tides South Beach does not condone or take part in the display or acquisition of any endangered species for the hotel’s decoration. While our redesign has removed a previous bar located in the hotel lobby, we have replaced that singular bar with two, our Martini Bar and opening in December 2007, our intimate Coral Bar.

We take pride in the professionalism and service training of all our colleagues and proudly stand behind our efforts to provide the ultimate luxury experience for all our guests.

In respect to our operational status, The Tides South Beach is currently open for lunch and dinner and will be fully-operational upon the completion of our multi-million dollar renovation. We are confident that our hotel will be the leader in the South Florida luxury hotel community upon its grand re-opening and look forward to welcoming you back to visit us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I gave my partner an overnight stay at the hotel as a birthday present. A few days before arriving at the hotel we had a call from a lady at the reception that they were undergoing a refurbishment and it can be noisy.
We never heard a thing and they upgraded us to a junior suite. Service was absolutely stunning. Personal touch, fantastic customer services.
Rooms were huge, beautiful views. As their pool was not working or their gym they gave us a complimentary pass to a different gymnasium and a swimming pool.

Beautiful time at the Tides!

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank kyrikos
Jacksonville
Reviewed May 22, 2007

We booked through Hotels.com which was an upleasant experience, I suggest you book direct or make sure you call the Hotel after booking with Hotels.com. Besides the mix up, our stay was superb. The Hotel Manager upgraded our accomadation to the 9th floor Senior Suite; which suprised us completely, we were told before arriving that we would be upgraded to a Junior Suite due to the mix up with Hotels.com. Needless to say, the room was fantastic and the view of South Beach from our rooftop accommadation was spectacular. The staff was over the top and Management was the best in the business. We could have not asked for a better vacation. Upon arrival I read several reviews, but none compared to the actual experience. The pool is under construction which was not a problem, because we had access to the Victor Hotel across the street. The renovations are about 75% complete and the new room are breath taking. Pictures of the lobby and rooms on the site are completely different (a huge plus) You have got to stay here! Tell Jan the General Manager I referred you, he will take special care of you. If you want a five star experience, this is the place to be!

• Liked — Room and view of the beach
  • Disliked — Renovations
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kjstokes
connecticut
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Although they are renovating all the rooms, the old decor is actually preferable - all white rooms, simple, yet modern design is very pleasing - and the views of the ocean can't be beat.
Love the outside patio and it's the best spot for people watching with a nice cocktail.
Kelly Wearstler's new lobby design isn't fitting for a beach hotel- the new dining room is striking and slightly creepy at the same time because of the many tortoise shells hanging all over the soffits - driftwood on the long service sidedboard looked like bones.
The service is outstanding, from bellman, to front desk staff, concierge, waiters, waitresses; similar to sister hotel Viceroy/Santa Monica.
Would always recommend to South Beach visitors.

Stayed May 2007
3 Thank hersheybear
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 3, 2007

I booked my trip to the Tides way back in early January! I was quoted almost $600 a night (excluding tax), I didn’t mind paying this rate if it meant I was staying in a luxurious hotel!
However, not all went as planned! We where told the week before we arrived that the hotel was under reconstruction, there was no swimming pool, no lobby and the restaurant only served food outside on the front stairs! Already I was annoyed!
We arrived as planned on the 19th March to a noisy hotel! When I arrived in the room it was full of old white furniture which had cigarette burns in it! While we were looking outside our ocean view suite work man appeared at our window! Luckily I wasn’t getting undressed!
The elevator was also broke so we had to walk up 3 flights of dirty stairs!
When we arrived back to the hotel on the first night there was a note on our door telling us there would be no water from 12-4! I’ve never heard of a hotel doing this in my life! And to make matters worse the day it was cut off I had no hot water until half past 7, which made me late for a previous appointment I had that night!
We checked out after two days! Instead we had a fantastic stay at the Lowes hotel! The Tides almost ruined my holiday; luckily I am the type of person who makes the best of situations! This information should have been shared with me when I booked in January! I agreed to pay those rates because I thought I was getting the facilities to go with it!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Felt like i was cheated!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank ecrolla
Warrington, Cheshire, England
Reviewed February 9, 2007

Just returned from 5 night stay at the Tides. Good size room, plasma TV, housekeeping excellent. Room service good food. Nice quiet pool with attentive service & comfy sunbends. Staff all pleasant but the concierge/front desk staff not very knowledgeable.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Anywhere
Reviewed September 6, 2006

We got a rate of $260/nt or so for this hotel (in the summer), and found it was a pretty good hotel for that price. I would not have wanted to pay the sometimes advertised $400/nt though. Starting with the the rooms, they were really nice and big and cool with wonderful beds. However the furniture was a bit run down. The view outside our window was also very nice. We did not eat in the restaurant at all, since the prices were kind of insane. Also, we never saw anyone in it! The hotel was very quiet, but we were there mid-week so that is probably to be expected in South Beach. The concierge service was EXCELLENT, and we used them every night to tell us the best spots. Although we spent a ton of money, we were never disappointed. The pool was kind of a bummer since it is bascially surrounded by concrete on all sides. Its a lovely pool though. Also, there was never anyone around to make a cocktail had we wanted one. Of course this is probably different in high season or on the weekends. We went down to the Shoreclub one night (Dinner at Nobu- Outstanding!!) and I was kind of missing the pool scene and cool-atmosphere. Seeing that my beach-body was not quite where I like it, I was glad for the tranquil, quiet Tides. (the nude beach is quite enough). All in all I'd stay here again, but next time I might try the Shoreclub just for a change of pace.

• Liked — The beds and big cool rooms
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple